What's new

Question - Takeda Ronin vs Shirai Ryu. What's better OVERALL?

Variation?

• SHIRAI RYU

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • RONIN

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters

hayatei

Noob
B2,1 2+4, close blade drop, f1,2,2+4 blade call, repeat

Corner only, I tested it and was like faaaaaaaa. Strict execution though
stand block the last hit of 2+4 and d3

quan d3 is 8 frames right?

edit: nvm just checked and it's 9 frames so u can't get out of that blockstring by poking

if you backdash out of f122+4 and takeda starts canceling first hit of 2+4 quick call you should be able to interrupt the b2 with d3

Last edited:

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
You are playing against really bad players online (and struggling against most of them in the five matches I watched), so what experiences inform your opinions likely do not pertain to a more competitive arena of play
Lol yeah that was a bad session by my part a while ago. Someone asked for Ronin play and that's what I had at the time. Never said it was good.
But I'm sensing a "high and mighty" tone from your statement. You on PS4?

ryublaze

Noob
B2,1 2+4, close blade drop, f1,2,2+4 blade call, repeat

Corner only, I tested it and was like faaaaaaaa. Strict execution though
Hey I went into the lab and I found that you can get out by:
- Blocking the 3rd hit of f122+4 low and backdashing and u get a full combo (Tremor can't backdash this)
- Doing a 9 frame or faster move after b212+4 blade drop since it's only +2. This makes his f1 come out in 10 frames. (Block the last hit high because crouching adds an extra frame of blockstun)
- Trading with Tremor's 7 frame f1 after f122+4 quick kall. Takeda's +7 which makes his b2 come out in 8 frames.
- Armor with EX Sky Drop, doing it too late will get stuffed tho. Tremor can armor out too.
- Jumping out after b212+4 (you'll get hit out of the air) but you'll have options on the ground.

hayatei

Noob
- Blocking the 3rd hit of f122+4 low and backdashing and u get a full combo (Tremor can't backdash this)
- Doing a 9 frame or faster move after b212+4 blade drop since it's only +2. This makes his f1 come out in 10 frames. (Block the last hit high because crouching adds an extra frame of blockstun)
- Trading with Tremor's 7 frame f1 after f122+4 quick kall. Takeda's +7 which makes his b2 come out in 8 frames.
- Armor with EX Sky Drop, doing it too late will get stuffed tho. Tremor can armor out too.
- Jumping out after b212+4 (you'll get hit out of the air) but you'll have options on the ground.
I could get Quan's d3 to trade with f1 at most with near frame perfect b212+4 blade drop f122+4

not a block infinite !!!!!!!

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Isn't Quan's NJP fast enough to get out of it?

ATIWAB

Noob
Ran into a Ronin multiple times on PC ranked today. Didn't lose once.

Nice to see y'all out there trying tho.

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
Ran into a Ronin multiple times on PC ranked today. Didn't lose once.

Nice to see y'all out there trying tho.
It's probably just @hayatei lol. There are like 7 Ronins in the world.

Ronin and Shirai Ryu are tots equal, btw. Probably the two closest variations in the game. Maybe Stunt Double and A-List are closer?

hayatei

Noob
It's probably just @hayatei lol. There are like 7 Ronins in the world.

Ronin and Shirai Ryu are tots equal, btw. Probably the two closest variations in the game. Maybe Stunt Double and A-List are closer?
wasn't me I rarely play ranked

How many of those tools have killer weaknesses, though? Ronin is at least allowed to play the game with his limited toolset.
they're both just as good imo they cover different match ups, overall Shirai Ryu might be better though

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Thanks for the help! Some questions.

1. I don't think backdashing works in the corner does it? Not quans anyway. And does it make any difference if he does f1 2+4 instead of f12 2+4?

2. Ok I'll test this, quans fast moves have shitty range though they might just whiff.

3. If it's 8 frames quans got nothing here..

4. Where am I armouring? Every place I try I get hit out ;_;

5. That's nice lol get hit to get out, but I suppose I can break. Karma for years of rune trap.

Thanks again!

hayatei

Noob

1. I don't think backdashing works in the corner does it? Not quans anyway. And does it make any difference if he does f1 2+4 instead of f12 2+4?

2. Ok I'll test this, quans fast moves have shitty range though they might just whiff.

5. That's nice lol get hit to get out, but I suppose I can break. Karma for years of rune trap.

Thanks again!
you have to crouch block the first hit of 2+4 in f122+4 to armor or backdash

ryublaze

Noob

Thanks again!
hmm I guess Quan's armor only works if he does f122+4 after b212+4 blade drop. If he does f12+4 instead of f122+4 then it stuffs Quan's armor and he can't backdash/armor in between the string. But if you jump forward then the last two hits of f12+4 whiffs and u can tech roll and punish him. Quan's 8 frame standing 2 should be able to beat Takeda's f1, or u can trade with any of his 9 frame moves.

So Quan's options after b212+4 blade drop are:
1. Jump out (you take 2% dmg but you tech roll and get a full combo, doesn't work if he does f122+4)
2. Interrupt his f1 with s2 or trade with 9f move (basically the same as jumping out but it's harder since u have 1 or 2 frames to interrupt)
3. Block (in case he does EX blade summon, Quan can't punish this btw)

Also Takeda has to be on point to hit u out of the air with f1 if you're trying to jump out, otherwise u get out of the corner for free and he gets punished.

Last edited: