What's new

Question - Takeda Ronin vs Shirai Ryu. What's better OVERALL?

Variation?

• SHIRAI RYU

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • RONIN

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
Anyone have any links to some good Ronin play? I've literally never once seen anyone play it. I've messed with a bit myself because it seems so fucking cool to me, but I only ever put real effort and time into Lasher and Shirai Ryu.
Here's a link to some of my online gameplay from a few days ago:

Last edited:
how many players play ronin on competetive lvl in order to finally unleash it's true potential? not many from what Ive seen

Last edited:

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
how many players play ronin on competetive lvl in order to finally unleashed it true potential? not many from what Ive seen
My friend beat PL with ronin once or twice but that was it. Ronin is a really easy character to beat once you learn the mu. He doesn't have that much options and SR does

SnowboardRX

My friend beat PL with ronin once or twice but that was it. Ronin is a really easy character to beat once you learn the mu. He doesn't have that much options and SR does
He'd only be an easy character to beat if the person playing him hasn't put the time into learning how to properly play him. He has more than enough options.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
He'd only be an easy character to beat if the person playing him hasn't put the time into learning how to properly play him. He has more than enough options.
Can I ask, who did you play that you're basing this on?

how many players play ronin on competetive lvl in order to finally unleash it's true potential? not many from what Ive seen
This is because almost everyone has determined that Shirai Ryu is more effective for competition. If you're competing, why put in in more work to get less? :)

I know at least 2-3 players who put the work into Ronin early on and realized that SR was a better use of their time, similar to Jacqui's situation with Shotgun/High Tech/Full Auto.

Last edited:

SnowboardRX

Can I ask, who did you play that you're basing this on?
Being a day one Ronin Takeda main, I'm basing this off my own experience. Once I put enough time into him, I've never felt like I was at a disadvantage against any character. In the end it comes down to execution.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Being a day one Ronin Takeda main, I'm basing this off my own experience. Once I put enough time into him, I've never felt like I was at a disadvantage against any character. In the end it comes down to execution.
The reason I ask is, I know a lot of people who feel this way until they are consistently playing top players. And once they are, the holes become readily apparent.

That's why I was curious to know who you were playing against.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"

Ronin execution isn't hard tho. No harder that shirai ryu atleast.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
He has very few options and gimmicks as to where SR has more than enough. You can only do so much with ronin and only get so far

ATIWAB

Noob
I feel like the "placement" aspect of Ronin strategy puts him at the same disadvantages as similar variations, like Hat Trick KL, which are also unpopular. What part of Ronin would you say gives it an edge over SR, aside from the B21 being a 50/50 string, which SR has 0 of? That and the faster-than-typical-Takeda-starters B11 are the only advantages I could find in the small bit of time I spent with Ronin before choosing SR.

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
I really want to say ronin, he is just potentially so good but I think shirai ryus damage is so damn good it's hard not to say scorp variation

SnowboardRX

I feel like the "placement" aspect of Ronin strategy puts him at the same disadvantages as similar variations, like Hat Trick KL, which are also unpopular. What part of Ronin would you say gives it an edge over SR, aside from the B21 being a 50/50 string, which SR has 0 of? That and the faster-than-typical-Takeda-starters B11 are the only advantages I could find in the small bit of time I spent with Ronin before choosing SR.
I've never had an issue with placement of the saber. You have 3 spots for it to fall but all 3 cover every part of the screen. As far as what gives it an edge over SR... I never said it did. I just personally prefer Ronin over the rest. I tried SR and Lasher for like 5min when the game came out but knew right away that Ronin was for me over the other 2. And in such, I've gotten good enough with Ronin that I never feel like I'm at a disadvantage against any character. Sure he has bad matchups but I just call those fun challenges.

Here's a link to some of my online gameplay from a few days ago:
You are playing against really bad players online (and struggling against most of them in the five matches I watched), so what experiences inform your opinions likely do not pertain to a more competitive arena of play