What's new

Robin Match Up Discussion

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Yeah, I'll get you an invite link later, but he can't sit back and spam trait, you can throw a bird with almost no contest, and in the corner you treat him the same as Wowo. When he cancels into trait 90% of the time you can dp and catch him. If not a far f3 works. Wow and Fate are Robin's worst matchups free
HAHAHAHAHAHA

GJX7

Your Mediocrity Is Killing Me
I'm not sure if you know this, but if CW does a far ji2, you can actually backdash and punish with DP if she does any string. She can obviously bait it if she's ready but you'll for sure catch then of guard and force them to really think their game.
Thanks man, I just try to react, I don't have the most Robin experience in general

GJX7

Your Mediocrity Is Killing Me
So how does one get in on Green Arrow, I lose to all the scrub zoning Arrows

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
So how does one get in on Green Arrow, I lose to all the scrub zoning Arrows
I like to try and get birdarangs and forward dashes on reads of arrow loads. MB Roll is pretty good against green arrow since his zoning is more knockdown based rather than him just shooting lots of projectiles. Block low and react to overhead air arrow if you can.

My problem is GA doing something like D1xx4. Which is +2 on block, but there's a gap in it.

Hankiro

Noob

I've been stupidly trying to punish it with D2 since launch despite the fact that it only worked a 1/10th of the time.. so I decided to lab it

Came up with a couple swaggy options and then the more optimal towards the end

Last edited:

Cursa

I've been stupidly trying to punish it with D2 since launch despite the fact that it only worked a 1/10th of the time.. so I decided to lab it

Came up with a couple swaggy options and then the more optimal towards the end
For anyone not up for learning the swag, IIRC you can literally just crouch through the whole thing and the MB whiffs and you can punish with whatever you want really.

I think, maybe I wasn't playing Robin against that one Black Manta player I fought in ranked.

Hankiro

Noob
For anyone not up for learning the swag, IIRC you can literally just crouch through the whole thing and the MB whiffs and you can punish with whatever you want really.

I think, maybe I wasn't playing Robin against that one Black Manta player I fought in ranked.

This works if you're crouching the initial hit but if you block it standing then it won't work

Cursa

This works if you're crouching the initial hit but if you block it standing then it won't work
I thought it was one of those weird stand block scenarios. And teleport isn't as much of a threat to Robin unless you really enjoy getting punished for birdarangs in neutral.

Black Manta is scary as though. I am watching PNDK&M's FT10 with Jackal as Black Manta while I recover from a hangover and it's just scary. Probably because I haven't labbed the matchup at all basically.

Hankiro

Noob
Just added another punish to the video so reupload. I really don't see what makes Sonic think Manta is the best character and I think at best it's a 5-5 for Robin so I've never really been afraid of Manta
I thought it was one of those weird stand block scenarios. And teleport isn't as much of a threat to Robin unless you really enjoy getting punished for birdarangs in neutral.

Black Manta is scary as though. I am watching PNDK&M's FT10 with Jackal as Black Manta while I recover from a hangover and it's just scary. Probably because I haven't labbed the matchup at all basically.

Cursa

Just added another punish to the video so reupload. I really don't see what makes Sonic think Manta is the best character and I think at best it's a 5-5 for Robin so I've never really been afraid of Manta
Sonic thinks Manta is the best character in the game? Tbh I think he's pretty good everyone kinda shunned him off at his launch due to his "Lack of damage" or that MB missiles only converts off of like two strong, but you can't argue that he has good stagger pressure with loads of meter build, good chip damage, excellent counter zoning, excellent footsie tools and very good damage both with and without meter.

Hankiro

Noob
Sonic thinks Manta is the best character in the game? Tbh I think he's pretty good everyone kinda shunned him off at his launch due to his "Lack of damage" or that MB missiles only converts off of like two strong, but you can't argue that he has good stagger pressure with loads of meter build, good chip damage, excellent counter zoning, excellent footsie tools and very good damage both with and without meter.
His chip is ridiculous and as long as you have meter it's guaranteed and unpunishable but you could make the same argument for Starfire and Batman but I don't think that alone makes him good. Sonic is known for upplaying though, or maybe we're all wrong because he's playing these characters at the highest level possible

Cursa

His chip is ridiculous and as long as you have meter it's guaranteed and unpunishable but you could make the same argument for Starfire and Batman but I don't think that alone makes him good. Sonic is known for upplaying though, or maybe we're all wrong because he's playing these characters at the highest level possible
He said Darkseid was top 3 sooooo.

One plus I'll give him though is how much pushback he has on like everything, and his D1 has mad range so if we put 2 and 2 together...

Cursa

Everyone says she wins and can zone him out but upclose it’s hard.
I kind of see the zoning out part but ivy would struggle hard under Robins pressure. Like she got a wakeup which is nice but it's -12 or something so you just end combo in birdarang and continue pressure.

I can't see it being easy for ivy to get out of the corner against robin.

DavesHotnJuicy

jmack_215
I kind of see the zoning out part but ivy would struggle hard under Robins pressure. Like she got a wakeup which is nice but it's -12 or something so you just end combo in birdarang and continue pressure.

I can't see it being easy for ivy to get out of the corner against robin.
I’ve been getting bopped by Robins left and right lmao. Also, you control what side the swoop lands on right?

Cursa

I’ve been getting bopped by Robins left and right lmao. Also, you control what side the swoop lands on right?
I'm trying to remember. In the corner he definitely does, that's just legit mixups, but mid screen I was under the impression that it could only hit one way.

It's a mixup in the corner by doing either close or regular swoop, but doing regular swoop outside the corner just whiffs and gets punished.

Edit - just tested. MB close swoop hits Front Front Behind.
MB Regular swoop hits all behind, but if you just duck on a read of a regular swoop vs a close swoop is whiffs and is full combo punishable

Edit 2 - Poison Ivy can Backdash/Forward dash out of both when I did Robin's 212xxDB3 (swoop)

Edit 3 (ohmalawd why did I rush this post) - Poison Ivy can low profile the MB part of close swoop by doing D1 or a backdash. I don't think you can punish it off of those options but there may be some other way for her to avoid it since a lot of characters can do some really bullshit stuff out of it. Like Catwoman can literally just B3, no MB, in between some gap.

Last edited:

DavesHotnJuicy

jmack_215
I'm trying to remember. In the corner he definitely does, that's just legit mixups, but mid screen I was under the impression that it could only hit one way.

It's a mixup in the corner by doing either close or regular swoop, but doing regular swoop outside the corner just whiffs and gets punished.

Edit - just tested. MB close swoop hits Front Front Behind.
MB Regular swoop hits all behind, but if you just duck on a read of a regular swoop vs a close swoop is whiffs and is full combo punishable

Edit 2 - Poison Ivy can Backdash/Forward dash out of both when I did Robin's 212xxDB3 (swoop)

Edit 3 (ohmalawd why did I rush this post) - Poison Ivy can low profile the MB part of close swoop by doing D1 or a backdash. I don't think you can punish it off of those options but there may be some other way for her to avoid it since a lot of characters can do some really bullshit stuff out of it. Like Catwoman can literally just B3, no MB, in between some gap.
Thank you!

Cursa

Thank you!
There's probably actual punishes for swoop. I am 95% sure Harley is the only character who can't punish it but that may have changed.

Also since you posted it reminded me, since you can forward dash out of any swoop, you can do MB roll which pretty much sends you fullscreen which has pretty obvious advantages against robin

DavesHotnJuicy

jmack_215
There's probably actual punishes for swoop. I am 95% sure Harley is the only character who can't punish it but that may have changed.

Also since you posted it reminded me, since you can forward dash out of any swoop, you can do MB roll which pretty much sends you fullscreen which has pretty obvious advantages against robin
Ivy can punish his swoop with b2, but I didn’t know about the dash out. Will definitely go to practice with that