What's new

Robin General Discussion Thread

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
can someone help me? im not sure how to fight against robin, i know he uses that batarang to get his pressure started and for oki, but how do i defend against him properly, also how do i play the neutral against him. and are there any frame traps to worry about?

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
I really struggle with zoning and I'll be going to a tournament that I can see will have plenty of deadshot players, can I get some tips with Robin? I've mostly been timing the air db2 at the moment or rolling in but I imagine offline that's less likely to work.

Walk in and use your burst speed, also he has very few answers to J3 if he commits to any type of zoning. Keep tele bat out to juke bullets and gain distance as well.

Recon

Noob
starting to have a lot more fun with robin. gotta get mileage out of that blue trait. restands are good for the zoners with really good wake up attacks. tip b2..is key at least for my game. it's the only back to get a trait out kinda safely....too bad he doesn't have the "very far " option for his trait. like red hood does for his mine. advantage on his red trait should be better.

the issue with zoners is the amount of meter they build.

I really struggle with zoning and I'll be going to a tournament that I can see will have plenty of deadshot players, can I get some tips with Robin? I've mostly been timing the air db2 at the moment or rolling in but I imagine offline that's less likely to work.
Work your way in, stay patient and safe. No birdarangs. Keep jumping to a minimum, even in jump range. Walk them into the corner. Meterburn roll can be good, but only after you established you can handle zoning and don't need it, therefore its not expected.

Stay out of b1 range. Robin's d3 is faster and longer range than Deadshot's b1. Sweep him at tip range, they will start jumping, d2 convert. This also prevents the overhead/low mixup deadshot has. (Note: b12u3xxbf1 can be punished with fj2)

Whiff punish or poke with b2. It's mostly ok to birdarang cancel the b2. If they block it or get hit, go in. 212xxdf4f is your best bet on block. (Cancel into db2mb if it hits)

When they find they can't get in, they shoot too much from jump in range and stop watching the air. Here you can jump in and get your damage.

This point they start making mistakes, like fdash or excessive jumping, which can be punished with Robin's amazing d2.

Never be in his b1 range unless you have pressure.
Punish wakeups with a neutral jump.
Be mindful of sudden assassin knees.
Both Deadshot's f12 and f123 can be punished with d12xxdb2. There is no stagger mixup here after f12.

can someone help me? im not sure how to fight against robin, i know he uses that batarang to get his pressure started and for oki, but how do i defend against him properly, also how do i play the neutral against him. and are there any frame traps to worry about?
Robin has no frame traps outside of birdarang on guard and far blue trait on guard (I guess 1 then d1 is a legit frame trap, but an almost useless one). Robin doesn't have mixups, they are all gimicks. His lows are bad in general and has no combo starting low outside of f2d3 (reactable and no stagger potential), low trait (very limited combo damage without corner) mb birdarang (limited combo damage without corner). Mostly you can block standing and be ok (react to f2d3). If you have a low bomb under you, you can react to the fact robin did anything else than blow up the bomb and stand up then block low again as robin has no unreactable overheads. Robin lacks a good crossup.

Teleports are punishable too. Don't be afraid to poke a crossup teleport.
db2 is not invincible on wakeup, so stuff Robins who think that it is.
bf3 is invincible on wakeup though -12 on block and can be blown up by a mb b3 or f3 easily.

Robin shines in the neutral. He whiff punishes hard (upto 50%). So make sure you will hit his guard at least, or you will be blown up by a Robin who's paying attention. Stay away from b2. Don't let robin b2xxdb1. Punish him or he gets in for free. Robin's d2 is fantastic and blows up jumps from anywhere but point blank range (he has to eat point blank crossups)

If you manage to make Robin whiff, he has lots of recovery and you have plenty of time to blow him up for it. So try and force whiffs.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Robin has no frame traps outside of birdarang on guard and far blue trait on guard (I guess 1 then d1 is a legit frame trap, but an almost useless one). Robin doesn't have mixups, they are all gimicks. His lows are bad in general and has no combo starting low outside of f2d3 (reactable and no stagger potential), low trait (very limited combo damage without corner) mb birdarang (limited combo damage without corner). Mostly you can block standing and be ok (react to f2d3). If you have a low bomb under you, you can react to the fact robin did anything else than blow up the bomb and stand up then block low again as robin has no unreactable overheads. Robin lacks a good crossup.

Teleports are punishable too. Don't be afraid to poke a crossup teleport.
db2 is not invincible on wakeup, so stuff Robins who think that it is.
bf3 is invincible on wakeup though -12 on block and can be blown up by a mb b3 or f3 easily.

Robin shines in the neutral. He whiff punishes hard (upto 50%). So make sure you will hit his guard at least, or you will be blown up by a Robin who's paying attention. Stay away from b2. Don't let robin b2xxdb1. Punish him or he gets in for free. Robin's d2 is fantastic and blows up jumps from anywhere but point blank range (he has to eat point blank crossups)

If you manage to make Robin whiff, he has lots of recovery and you have plenty of time to blow him up for it. So try and force whiffs.
so none of his trait teleports are really serious then? and his mb sword flip has a gap right?

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
If you're playing against deadshot players, it may be best to just play supergirl or black adam for those MU's as Zoning is one of Robin's greatest weaknesses. Once you get in you still have to be careful because Deadshot has 50/50's that will knock you fullscreen away again.

If you want to chat with anyone in the Robin community, the discord is here.

https://discord.gg/AhqNRj

The link only lasts for a day though.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
So does anyone else in TYM besides me really even play this character anymore? He feels really weak, even with all his birdarang setups. I think it's because his mixup game is really bad.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
So does anyone else in TYM besides me really even play this character anymore? He feels really weak, even with all his birdarang setups. I think it's because his mixup game is really bad.
Robin is whack.
The only thing I like is his character design. I haven't been losing to robins lately on a side note.

Adorkable_Psycho

Hands Quicker Than The Eye Boi!
i'm wondering if this can apply to someone like darkseid, and if so, how does this OS work? how do u do it?
Can't speak for Darkseid but for Robin you perform a jump in 2 and as soon as the j2 connects you input sword dance (db2). If your opponent blocks the j2 sword dance will not come out and instead you will walk back blocking, but if the j2 connects it will hit confirm into sword dance and you can MB for more damage and Birdarang pressure.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Can't speak for Darkseid but for Robin you perform a jump in 2 and as soon as the j2 connects you input sword dance (db2). If your opponent blocks the j2 sword dance will not come out and instead you will walk back blocking, but if the j2 connects it will hit confirm into sword dance and you can MB for more damage and Birdarang pressure.
whats the timing tho so that it comes out on hit and not block?

Recon

Noob
all robin needs is the straight batarang. that he has in his gear. everything he does Instantly becomes better.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
all robin needs is the straight batarang. that he has in his gear. everything he does Instantly becomes better.
Actually I don't think that would help him at all. As his only low, I think his sweep should be safe and I think he should be able to throw trait fullscreen behind the enemy with added cooldown to balance it.

Ok guys I would like to know what you guys think about these possible buffs/nerfs to Robin. Please understand this is only my opinion. Firstly, I am assuming all his whiffing issues will be addressed so that they are working as intended.

Buffs
  • I think his trait should be adjusted to include a far version of each birdarang that goes fullscreen or atleast 75% of the screen.
  • 212 should no longer have a gap as its already negative on block and with trait cancels it still only -1 on block.
Nerfs
  • Increase the recharge time of trait (To compensate for far trait variations)
Honestly, Robin is a fair character that is well balanced but falls short due to the focus on zoning in this game. He really doesn't need much ;)

Btw NRS gods if you guys read this I will appreciate anything extra
:DOGE

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Ok guys I would like to know what you guys think about these possible buffs/nerfs to Robin. Please understand this is only my opinion. Firstly, I am assuming all his whiffing issues will be addressed so that they are working as intended.

Buffs
  • I think his trait should be adjusted to include a far version of each birdarang that goes fullscreen or atleast 75% of the screen.
  • 212 should no longer have a gap as its already negative on block and with trait cancels it still only -1 on block.
Nerfs
  • Increase the recharge time of trait (To compensate for far trait variations)
Honestly, Robin is a fair character that is well balanced but falls short due to the focus on zoning in this game. He really doesn't need much ;)

Btw NRS gods if you guys read this I will appreciate anything extra
It's like you read my mind, this and making sweep safe-ish plus fixing all his hitbox issues.

He would still be a fair character with a solid gameplan.

It's like you read my mind, this and making sweep safe-ish plus fixing all his hitbox issues.

He would still be a fair character with a solid gameplan.
Agreed I honestly like Robins gameplan as is but against zoners like Darkseid with projectiles you cant jump which result in a knockdown and Deadshot whose projectiles recover so quickly going for birdarang fullscreen is suicide. A far version of trait would allow him to close the distance or atleast check the opponent if you make a read and it wouldn't be spammable thanks to the increased recharge time.

Btw do you by any chance have a link to the robin discord :)

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Agreed I honestly like Robins gameplan as is but against zoners like Darkseid with projectiles you cant jump which result in a knockdown and Deadshot whose projectiles recover so quickly going for birdarang fullscreen is suicide. A far version of trait would allow him to close the distance or atleast check the opponent if you make a read and it wouldn't be spammable thanks to the increased recharge time.

Btw do you by any chance have a link to the robin discord :)
Yeah here no problem.

https://discord.gg/jZS3Hp

We mostly talk about how much we hate Batman.