What's new

Robin Anti Zoning Thread

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Doctor Fate zoning isn't too hard to beat I think.

B2 can low profile Amon Ra Blast if Robin is close enough. Also his dash has good enough recovery frames so that he gets a free dash from fullscreen and midscreen without being hit by a Amon Ra Blast.

Also keep in mind that the timing for buffering a safe forward dash is small. After dashing forward and blocking the second projectile, Robin can walk forward a little bit before jumping to land in B2 range (or else it whiffs). I'd recommend practicing this in training where you can set practice options to fullscreen and record Fate using Five ARB's (Amon Ra Blast) (make sure to set Robin to block during the AI recording).

I want to lab against Deadshot zoning, but I don't know which projectile of his is used the most from fullscreen.

Also Smoke Pellet Trait and Birdarang is useless against this because trait cannot be thrown to fullscreen (only travels half screen max) and Robin will be hit if he tries to use Birdarang in between the projectiles (Birdarang goes away when Robin is hit).

Last edited:

Captain l2ed

White wolf

B2 can low profile Amon Ra Blast if Robin is close enough. Also his dash has good enough recovery frames so that he gets a free dash from fullscreen and midscreen without being hit by a Amon Ra Blast.

I want to lab against Deadshot zoning, but I don't know which projectile of his is used the most from fullscreen.
Good find but what about fates other zoning tools?

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Good find but what about fates other zoning tools?
Well besides Meterburned Amon Ra Blast, his Displacer Orb is really slow. It's also really hard to lab against the different Special Moves because Fate players can play different from each other and use different abilities.

As soon as Robin is in B2 range though, even on block B2,1 is safe (and can be cancelled into trait safely), so B2,1 being blocked shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Captain l2ed

White wolf
Well besides Meterburned Amon Ra Blast, his Displacer Orb is really slow. It's also really hard to lab against the different Special Moves because Fate players can play different from each other and use different abilities.

As soon as Robin is in B2 range though, even on block B2,1 is safe (and can be cancelled into trait safely), so B2,1 being blocked shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Solid.
I think we are forgetting about fates ankh blast (the one where he summons one in front and pushes you back)

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Solid.
I think we are forgetting about fates ankh blast (the one where he summons one in front and pushes you back)
Oh if you're talking about Glyph of Osiris, that's punishable on block with a Sword Dance reversal which can be Meterburned for damage and setup. It actually can't push you back as far as you think when blocked.

Last edited:

Captain l2ed

White wolf
Oh if you're talking about Glyph of Osiris, that's punishable on block with a Sword Dance reversal which can be Meterburned for damage and setup. It actually can't push you back as far as you think when blocked.
Thanks man. Can't wait to lab these, any tips for green arrow?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer

Also keep in mind that the timing for buffering a safe forward dash is small. After dashing forward and blocking the second projectile, Robin can walk forward a little bit before jumping to land in B2 range (or else it whiffs). I'd recommend practicing this in training where you can set practice options to fullscreen and record Fate using Five ARB's (Amon Ra Blast) (make sure to set Robin to block during the AI recording).

Also Smoke Pellet Trait and Birdarang is useless against this because trait cannot be thrown to fullscreen (only travels half screen max) and Robin will be hit if he tries to use Birdarang in between the projectiles (Birdarang goes away when Robin is hit).
If you haven't already, take a look at SonicFox's Deadshot. His zoning is on point and gives some insight into what Deadshot players want to abuse.

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west
Oh whenever he does that and I've blocked it I usually have a window to dash in. Aquaman has to commit to his trident toss so I'll block the FTD dash block and just dance around blocking low. If I read a trident toss I'll do jdb2 and I'm in. Otherwise you have to be weary of his water shield

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I just had some really close games (still losses) vs grr deadshot and it's in my twitch.

I felt like the games were very very close and the stage is what hindered me. Give it a watch. Robin can beat deadshot but has to walk them to a corner they can't escape from. Lol

Twitch.tv/lordofthefly

The only way to win vs a zoner is hope they fuck up an input. There is no place you gain advantage at any point.

Why can black Adam do 150 on chip full screen then if he touches you do 450 and send you back full screen? Why does his trait give him better pressure than Robin? Why does his dive kick anti air?
Why can deadshot push you back fullscreen on block with 2 bars? Why don't you gain meter for blocking projectiles? Why can deadshot 50/50 you if you close the gap? Why can he punish roll on accident?
Why doesn't Robin have Deadly Birdarang as a stock move to counter any of this?

Chimbz

I named my dick Grayson
Damn this character has such a hard time with most of the cast! It's incredible how they made both versions of "Robin" (Nightwing and now Robin) bad against zoners :( I wish I could main him and only him, but I have to look for a pocket character now... Maybe red Hood if he's any good :p

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
I just stopped in because I was curious to see how others were dealing with zoners. Thought it was a me problem but I see it goes a bit further.

I'm willing to trade half of the block advantage on birdrang if they take off half of the startup. I haven't played with any of the gear but I'm sure he has something we could use that we'll probably be never be able to use in tournament.

Captain l2ed

White wolf
I just stopped in because I was curious to see how others were dealing with zoners. Thought it was a me problem but I see it goes a bit further.

I'm willing to trade half of the block advantage on birdrang if they take off half of the startup. I haven't played with any of the gear but I'm sure he has something we could use that we'll probably be never be able to use in tournament.
Gear solutions are either deadly birdarang (which is a straight birdarang) or nightwings staff. He needs something for sure

Recon

Noob
the big issue that I have, is once you finally get in..against a dead shot or dark side. they do their knee and meter burn it now they are safe and you have to do all that work all over again. sure you can try to bait it but I don't think there are many smart solutions to it.

injustice in general favors zoners. clashes put you back to full screen..to deal with zoning again.

I'm new to the game so I have a lot to learn, just seems like a severe uphill battle.

Make use of his teleport trait and MB roll.

There is no easy answer but it's not impossible
TP trait that has both a punishable startup and recovery while not even moving you half a screen length

MB roll is spending a bar for a CHANCE to get in. It is still punishable on startup(it's MB DASH technically) and the recovery can get meatied on accident by half the projectiles in the game

There are options, but none of them work reliably in any scenario. Why is there no 'easy' answer for such an 'easy' tactic?

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
TP trait that has both a punishable startup and recovery while not even moving you half a screen length

MB roll is spending a bar for a CHANCE to get in. It is still punishable on startup(it's MB DASH technically) and the recovery can get meatied on accident by half the projectiles in the game

There are options, but none of them work reliably in any scenario. Why is there no 'easy' answer for such an 'easy' tactic?
MB roll and tele trait are not get in free from full screen moves. Think of it like this, your navigating the zoning from full screen, jumping, ducking, dashing, diving. You make it half way up. This is where you have options.

Far tele trait from here will place the trait around the area where the opponent stands. This is mind game territory. The opponent has the fear that you will teleport at any moment. They throw the wrong move or press the wrong button then BAM! Tele into punish. You don't even have to throw it far. You can place it closer to Robin so if you're knocked back on your next advancement, you can tele and it's back to where you were.

MB roll from the correct distance will not only avoid the zoning but can potentially take you behind the opponent. Don't look at it like the zoning will knock you back when you MB roll in front of their face, think about using the cross up potential to catch them off guard.

Zoning isn't easy. They have to make reads on your movement. If you're being hit, it's because you're careless or the opponent knows what you're going to do next. Keeping someone out isn't child's play. You can't just keep mashing the same projectile and expect it to work effectively because any good player will adjust and punish.

I understand that it can be frustrating trying to fight a zoners but that is their game plan. Throw you off your game, make you rush, make you impatient. Keep your head and be patient. The round timers aren't exactly flying by in Injustice 2.

EDIT: I can't argue that the start up makes the use of MB roll a little more difficult but it doesn't make it useless. Timing is everything. You have to start reading your opponents patterns. There are gaps and it's your job to exploit them.

MB roll and tele trait are not get in free from full screen moves. Think of it like this, your navigating the zoning from full screen, jumping, ducking, dashing, diving. You make it half way up. This is where you have options.
Literally stopped reading there. You act like all the zoners won't hit you with a 50/50 the second you reach midscreen then vortex you to death in 3 setups. You act like you're even going to have a bar of meter to spend by the time you reach mid screen when you haven't touched him yet. You act like EITHER of those options aren't gonna get stuffed on accident.

It's a crap shoot bro. Just admit it.

Zoners have overloaded kits. Why does black adam have 50/50 oki setups with fireball lockdown? Why can deadshot lock you down WHILE approaching you THEN hit you with a 50/50 for 450 damage. Zoners do not struggle in I2. There is no situation where they are at a disadvantage. They are the master of all trades.

The amount of effort it takes to zone someone to DEATH vs the effort required to get in and land ONE hit is entirely out of wack.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Literally stopped reading there. You act like all the zoners won't hit you with a 50/50 the second you reach midscreen then vortex you to death in 3 setups. You act like you're even going to have a bar of meter to spend by the time you reach mid screen when you haven't touched him yet. You act like EITHER of those options aren't gonna get stuffed on accident.

It's a crap shoot bro. Just admit it.

Zoners have overloaded kits. Why does black adam have 50/50 oki setups with fireball lockdown? Why can deadshot lock you down WHILE approaching you THEN hit you with a 50/50 for 450 damage. Zoners do not struggle in I2. There is no situation where they are at a disadvantage. They are the master of all trades.

The amount of effort it takes to zone someone to DEATH vs the effort required to get in and land ONE hit is entirely out of wack.
It's a fighting game. You can't expect to get past the zoning and then your opponent place the control on the floor like it's ggsbro.

I suggest taking a break from the game because obviously a few projectiles make it unplayable for you.

Recon

Noob
It's a fighting game. You can't expect to get past the zoning and then your opponent place the control on the floor like it's ggsbro.

I suggest taking a break from the game because obviously a few projectiles make it unplayable for you.
conceptually he's right. there's no down side to playing a zoner and the get the added benefit of being able to do 300+ damage from full screen then you have to frogger back through all the crap they throw at you.

aquaman has b123 ...standing low that's positive on block. robin doesn't have anything remotely close to this.