What's new

General/Other - Kenjutsu Rising Sword Damage Scaling BUG REPORT

Lokheit

Noob
So today I was in practice after some time not touching Kenjutsu and I noticed that my rising sword combos were dealing less damage.

Then testing why that was happening I realized that Rising Sword damage scaling multiplier had been changed from 0.8 to 0.68 (and the EX version has been changed to 0.68 on the first hit, 0.95 on the second hit and 0.8 on the last hit for a total penalty of 0.5168).

Apparently according to the June 23 patch notes (I guess we got that patch later on PC), some Kenshi moves (not specified) had their damage scale changed because they weren't working the way they should (not specified if this was changed to more damage or less).

You can check the patch notes here: http://testyourmight.com/threads/mortal-kombat-x-patch-notes-6-23-15.53624/

The reason why I think this is a bug and hope that some dev reads this is that, I've been studying damage scaling numbers for quite a long time now as I'm preparing an exhaustive video about it, and damage scaling always is applied in numbers that end in 0 or 5 (most hits apply a penalty of 0.95 to following damage, most launchers apply from 0.9 to 0.8, some stuns apply a penalty of 0.75...), with the exception being 0.66 (2/3) that is used by uppercuts and some rare and very specific strings that are intentionally hard caped.

The fun part is that 0.68 is the result of applying a penalty of 0.8 and then another of 0.85 (0.8*0.85 = 0.68), so it's like this move is applying now 2 different penalties on a single hit. There are some cases where this happens (JIP after NJP applies 2 penalties on a single hit for example, but only one if done against a standing opponent or after a different type of launcher) but this is the first time I've seen it on a launcher.

I think they wanted to change it from 0.8 to 0.85 (which makes sense considering 0.8 is a penalty that most easy launchers have and Rising Sword is really hard to follow up, there are easier launchers that only apply 0.9) but accidentally they applied it over the original, resulting on a damage nerf instead of the damage buff that would've make more sense.

If this isn't a bug, I think it's a really bad joke considering Rising Sword is hard to connect and almost impossible in online play. The fact that the penalty is the combination of 2 "normal" penalties makes me think this is a bug that needs to be fixed ASAP.

NOTE: Investigating a bit further, I'm seeing that Balanced Kenshi Rising Karma now applies a penalty of 0.81 (which is the result of applying a penalty of 0.9 two times, just like the enhanced version does) so apparently someone messed around badly with Kenshi when correcting all of those damage scaling numbers that weren't working as intended. Knowing how damage scale works for basically every move in the game, it can't be part of their design to have these moves applying penalties that are the result of combining multiple penalties into one unless they flat out decided to break their own design rules for this one.

Last edited:

9_Lives

Noob
Didn't that dude say somewhere that was supposed to happen? I feel like I remember hearing that the rising karma damage had more scaling incoming in one of these patches.

Lokheit

Noob
Didn't that dude say somewhere that was supposed to happen? I feel like I remember hearing that the rising karma damage had more scaling incoming in one of these patches.
Even if the intention was to nerf Rising Karma (different move from Rising Sword, though as mentioned, the same problem is present there) the fact that these moves are now not following NRS general rules of damage scaling makes me think this is a problem of they giving the "new guy on the programming department that doesn't have experience with their design rules" (or a vet guy that had too many things in his head that day and accidentally got distracted) a list of moves that needed to be scaled down and he applies multipliers over the existing ones instead of replacing them. I can't say I've checked every single move in the game, but I'm almost certain that no other move has a 0.68 penalty. It would be either 0.7 or 0.66 (their special hard cap penalty that happens only with very specific moves and uppercuts and I don't think Rising Sword makes the cut for that). Same goes for Rising Karma's 0.81 breaking NRS design rules.

Last edited:

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
Yeah it took a serious kick in the junk rising sword. My two meter 47% combo with out rising sword lost 1% damage after patch. But my combos with rising sword lose 4%. What gives?

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
I feel thats another huge pro for possessed in terms of it being Kenshi's best varaint- he didn't get the damage scaling nerf the other variants did in the recent patch.