What's new

General/Other - Scorpion Revision - Scorpion

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
After watching Raiden's reveal, and see, understanding a bit more of Kotal, i came to conclusion that, there is 80% of chances that all special moves that may look different might actually be presents in all variations.

I mean, a few weeks before we though Chest cutting and beam of light from Kotal's was only blood god exclusive, until i find another video where i see sun god Kotal cutting his chest and in the raiden trailer, this same variation using beam of light.

Which suggest that yes, maybe indeed Scorpion can cancel his teleports in any variation, can perform hellish spear in any variation, and can also perform flaming uppercut in any variation.

I dunno if this fair at all, but if this is indeed true, then Scorpion will be a fucking beast, more than i have imagined already. This would prove that special moves that changes are only the ones that come with variation, not the existant universal ones.

But what puts me with a step back, is the Sub's Ice Hammer which is even shown on the variation sign with a sword and a hammer crossed as variation specific. Well that might not be the case of scorpion and Kotal. Just take a look at this: ex versions are all in "()"

Scorpion without any of his variations powers (Universal Moves)
Spear - pulls ppl closer for free combo on hit
(Dual Spear) has armor and hits mid, pulls ppl closer for free combo
(Hellish Spear) has armor, hits mid, lights ppl on fire, grants free combo
Tele-Kick - attacks from behind, doesn't track so can be used for escaping, in air becomes a Tele-Punch
(Flame Teleport) - Grants a juggle and has previous proprieties of normal tele
  • Fake-tele - By holding down in the controller (twitter) scorpion can cancel any of his teleports before it connects becoming a complete evasive tool.
Takedown - Knockdown scrissor move
(Takeout) - Same as above but w/ armor
Flamming Uppercut - An advancing special move where scorpion performs a uppercut that ocuppies a good portion of the screen while gaining some space (trailer and fatality reveal)

On the video, we already have seen Scorpion canceling ex Teleport as well, now take a look at the traits that are added with each variation, in addition to his move set, note that this are probably the only specials that changes, the only ones that scorpion will not have depending of which variation trait we choose:

:::Ninjutsu:::
  • Scorpion gets more range on his normals because of sword unique attacks, and gains 2 more launchers (up slash & dual slash)
:::Hellfire::::
  • Adds Demon fire: (old unblockable hellfire move, only that this time the name was changed)
  • Adds Hell Ball: A Projectile ball that can be charged and also dash canceled.
  • Adds Flame Aura: A New power that allows Scorpion to set himself into fire that will the opponent in the blast radius upon activation granting scorpion a combo starter, also it does increase his damage output, and chip damage output.
::: Inferno:::
  • Adds Summoning: A Skeletal demon that can come from above performing a kick, from Behind perfoming a teleport punch, or from the ground, which grabs the opponents legs and grants scorpion a free combo.

If this is the correct design NRS is going with, of not having moves that only changes to exclusive variations, then i'm a bit scared, not scared of Scorpion or any other character at all, i'm scared because of the online ppl that will cry day one to nerf Scorpion and Kotal because they can't deal with it, really hope NRS can balance it out.

I'm even seeing new combos possibilities with the tele-cancel, as well as some oki tech :)

@MITDJT @RedRaptor10 @GGA Slips @FOXSOLID @RM Gamerblake

FOXSOLID

Noob
That's been my fear.

Unless something is cut and dry broken, NRS really shouldn't allow the online bitching brigade to influence them into nerfing characters unjustly.

Scorpion ate all kinds of shit in MK9 for being so unsafe and just wasn't a tournament contender.

If Raiden is able to execute all the shenanigans he can with his Displacer variation (teleport DELAYING for fucks sake), nobody should be saying shit about Scorpion.

As far as him being able to teleport cancel in any variation....I'm not sure really. I haven't seen it occur in anything but Hellfire.

I'm actually grateful he even has a non-attacking teleport to work with. If it's in all variations...great.....if it's just one, I'm perfectly fine with that. It gives him the ability to fight back against the likes of Raiden (Displacer) with out being forced to commit to an attack that leaves him wide open if blocked.

Scorpion is definitely looking like a monster and I hope he will be.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Glad I'm not the only one that sees it. If Scorpion keeps his spears in every variation he'll undoubtedly be a monster in MKX. The startup on it is grossly faster than any whiff punish tool shown so far. Only thing that has come close is Raiden's superman dive but that doesn't go into a full combo.

The way movement works in this game I think whiff punishing and space control are going to be more important than ever, and that spear.... jeez. That AND teleport cancel?! It makes maining Scorpion sound really tempting. He has all the defensive options to make him a serious threat.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I mean, a few weeks before we though Chest cutting and beam of light from Kotal's was only blood god exclusive, until i find another video where i see sun god Kotal cutting his chest and in the raiden trailer, this same variation using beam of light.
A little off-topic, but what do you mean "beam of light"? Is it parry? Because otherwise the only thing I've seen in Raiden trailer looking like beam of light was KK's X-ray.
Additionally I would like to say that multiple theories that totems, parry and sunbeam may be interwoven somehow are baseless as far as I can tell, judging from videos we've seen so far.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
A little off-topic, but what do you mean "beam of light"? Is it parry? Because otherwise the only thing I've seen in Raiden trailer looking like beam of light was KK's X-ray.
Additionally I would like to say that multiple theories that totems, parry and sunbeam may be interwoven somehow are baseless as far as I can tell, judging from videos we've seen so far.
I think you guys call it sunbeam, i use to call it beam of light.

I quit trying to figure how blood god Kotal works, every vídeo he does a random thing, i though it was only 2 totems, now it seems that they are 3, and we don't know what they do aside from crystal.

Among other things, only playing we will find out.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I think you guys call it sunbeam, i use to call it beam of light.
Yeah, whatever you like more. I'm just saying that I don't think I've seen it being used in this trailer.

I quit trying to figure how blood god Kotal works, every vídeo he does a random thing, i though it was only 2 totems, now it seems that they are 3, and we don't know what they do aside from crystal.
Well, in that video where Boon was talking about styles in detail it can clearly be seen that the Blood God entry says "Adds X totem, Y totem and Z totem". Don't remember their names, but there was 3 of them. I'm surprised you've missed out that.

To be honest though, I don't think there's a lot of confusing stuff in trailers, people create much more by speculating left and right seeing connections between literally everything characters do while ignoring the possibility that are are just looking at a bunch of universal moves. KK has it especially bad since his mech seems pretty non-standard for MK game.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Glad I'm not the only one that sees it. If Scorpion keeps his spears in every variation he'll undoubtedly be a monster in MKX. The startup on it is grossly faster than any whiff punish tool shown so far. Only thing that has come close is Raiden's superman dive but that doesn't go into a full combo.

The way movement works in this game I think whiff punishing and space control are going to be more important than ever, and that spear.... jeez. That AND teleport cancel?! It makes maining Scorpion sound really tempting. He has all the defensive options to make him a serious threat.
spear and teleport are universal, teleport cancel might be hellfire only

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah, whatever you like more. I'm just saying that I don't think I've seen it being used in this trailer.

Well, in that video where Boon was talking about styles in detail it can clearly be seen that the Blood God entry says "Adds X totem, Y totem and Z totem". Don't remember their names, but there was 3 of them. I'm surprised you've missed out that.

To be honest though, I don't think there's a lot of confusing stuff in trailers, people create much more by speculating left and right seeing connections between literally everything characters do while ignoring the possibility that are are just looking at a bunch of universal moves. KK has it especially bad since his mech seems pretty non-standard for MK game.
are not the totems that confused me. Chest cutting and Sunbeam did, most of us though that was blood god specific, even Prima though the same thing, the truth is that they aren't, they are universal moves.

spear and teleport are universal, teleport cancel might be hellfire only
there is no description in variation that says: Adds flaming uppercut, evasive teleport or hellish spear, in v1: adds swords attacks, in v2: Adds demon fire, flame aura, and hell ball, and in v3: adds summoning.

This is what it makes me believe that maybe that guy that played at E3 might be correct that by holding 2 during tele it can be canceled, in any variation and possibly by transform his spear move into hellish spear the same way.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
there is no description in variation that says: Adds flaming uppercut, evasive teleport or hellish spear, in v1: adds swords attacks, in v2: Adds demon fire, flame aura, and hell ball, and in v3: adds summoning.

This is what it makes me believe that maybe that guy that played at E3 might be correct that by holding 2 during tele it can be canceled, in any variation and possibly by transform his spear move into hellish spear the same way.
i dont think the variation select lists all the changes just the most notable one(s) and i thought it was hold down during teleport to cancel?