What's new

Resume questions for people in Business

So, our management professor posted up a internship/job opportunity for working at PepsiCo, I want to apply but they want a resume. Lets just say, I don't really have a strong work history due to illness during my younger years, that's why I'm still late in College, so how do I build a solid resume? @G4S Claude VonStroke maybe you know stuff.

Anyone else, please free to comment. Should I give a whirl or just not even try?

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
If you have microsoft office 2007 i recommend looking at other templates copying it and changing it to what u are doing/going for. Also a cover ltr and resume should be under 1 page IMO

If you have microsoft office 2007 i recommend looking at other templates copying it and changing it to what u are doing/going for. Also a cover ltr and resume should be under 1 page IMO
No I understand that I mean what should I put on it.

Last edited:

skahwt

Noob
It's an internship so they likely won't expect a deep work history. Emphasize your coursework, what you've completed and what you are pursuing. Try and find some practical applications for what you're learning and how it relates to the position you're applying for.

Find some examples of resumes with shallow or no work histories online. I'd also recommend doing some volunteer work if you don't have time for a job while you attend college so you can add it to your resume.

You could always put that you did personal services such as

Pet walking/care
Babysitting
Yard Work

School accomplishments
Community service

It's not all just about work history.
We all have to start somewhere, and it's partnered with the school which means they are more lax with students

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
I can't imagine an internship is looking for experience / work history much being that its an intern spot which IMO is to gather experience for another job. IMO you should be ok but i understand u and I would await other options after mine in regards to what you said. However, being your professor posted it i would talk to him also and explain your earlier yrs to see what advice he gives you. For all u know he may understand and give you a ltr of recommendation and more importantly good advice . Anyway good luck and hope u get it :)

1. If you don't mind, how old are you?
2. Do you have any work experience?
I do, but it's under the table Lol. 23.

Trust me, I was 80 maybe less than that, pounds a few years back finally got my weight up now, it was difficult just presenting myself and it took a while for everything to straighten out regarding my illness. I've changed so much since, but it's like difficult now.

GGA Max

One of the strongest things that sets you apart, is to do something fundamental to your major on your own time. And totally out of the school setting. AKA doing something on your own 7-3's doing something after class in a club.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
@Karried U can use under the table jobs. They are not the IRS/Goverment but will the "employers" cover it. YOu can also maybe cover your lack of job exp due to your sickness on the cover ltr but state "i am at my best now and feel what better way then to start my career then @ (company name). Again await other replies but i think thats good IMO. I had a screw in my hip as a teen and had issues getting a job until i was 22 or so. I was very honest on my cover ltr and still work there now (12 yrs later) but not as a clerk anymore heh

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Have some of the basics in there:

Objective: Brief summary for what you are looking for in a position and how your talents match that position.

Work History: Only put down stuff that relates to the position or required a skill that will be used in the new position. Don't put down dog walker/baby sitter jobs if they are not relevant.

Skill Sets: Software/Hardware and other techniques you are familiar with that may be useful for this position

Education: Degrees completed, training received and certifications you may have.

Publications/Awards: Limit them to relevant ones. Don't put your participation award for junior varsity soccer etc.

References: Optional

Use the description for the internship to help you narrow down what skills sets you should be focusing on and what you should mention in your resume. Also look up the company on linkedin and check out some of the resumes of the people in the department you may be working with to get an idea of what your resume should look like.

Here is my old, outdated , unformatted, shortened resume on linked in.
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-castro/26/692/b1b

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I would imagine you would have to fill out an application to in addition to a resume. Most places do. On your resume I would focus on course related work and but refer to it as experience. Refer to any other part time or other related jobs as well but point them out at the bottom and focus on things that are relevant to the job. Everything is all business so that shouldn't be hard. Bottom line, Just make yourself sound like the best candidate then once you get to the interview all you have to worry about is being the right "fit". Trust me, you could have all the best qualities in the world but if they don't think you'd fit in for whatever reason they won't hire you. and many times you never know what they are looking for. Your school doesn't have a career center to help you with these situations?

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face

Objective: Brief summary for what you are looking for in a position and how your talents match that position.

Work History: Only put down stuff that relates to the position or required a skill that will be used in the new position. Don't put down dog walker/baby sitter jobs if they are not relevant.

Skill Sets: Software/Hardware and other techniques you are familiar with that may be useful for this position

Education: Degrees completed, training received and certifications you may have.

Publications/Awards: Limit them to relevant ones. Don't put your participation award for junior varsity soccer etc.

Use the description for the internship to help you narrow down what skills sets you should be focusing on and what you should mention in your resume. Also look up the company on linkedin and check out some of the resumes of the people in the department you may be working with to get an idea of what your resume should look like.

Objective on a resume is just weird.

I see a lot of people doing it, but to me it just looks really weird.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Objective on a resume is just weird.

I see a lot of people doing it, but to me it just looks really weird.
Its actually there to add keywords about behavior that don't fit in the technical experience part of you resume but you know will be part of the keyword search the "bot" will be looking for. You want to get that stuff in their somehow so that you pass the initial "bot" screening. Most of the time your resume will not get to an HR person or Hiring manager if it does not get past the bot. This is a big reason why you should always tailor your resume to the position you are applying to at that time.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Make sure its 1 page, some sites will say 2 pages is ok, but move shit around to get it down to 1 page
This actually depends on the level of position you are applying for at the time. Entry level positions will want a short resume but for more experienced positions, they will want to see the years of experience they are looking for so they expect it to reach the 2 page limit.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S

On References I always put "References furnished upon request" however, one can argue that it does not matter. If your called for that interview you should have your references in order and able to provide them IMO professionally.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
On References I always put "References furnished upon request" however, one can argue that it does not matter. If your called for that interview you should have your references in order and able to provide them IMO professionally.
I do the same thing. The only time I will submit a reference with my resume is if I know the hiring manager has had a prior relationship with my reference (You can find this out by scanning linkedin and talking with your references). This is a small part of networking that will get you in the door a little easier.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Top of page - Contact info (Name, Address, Email, Telephone)

My name is Bob Robertson, and I feel that my skills and experience would make be the ideal employee of PepsiCo. I would be pleased to answer any additional questions you may have regarding my resume, and can be reached by email or telephone using the numbers listed above.

Thanks and best regards,
Bob Robertson

Employment History - Most current (relevant) job first.

Dog Walker, 2012-14
Responsibilities: Scheduling and maintaining strict routes and times for up to 3 dogs at a time.
Achievements: During my time as a Dog Walker, I successfully scheduled up to 10 walks per day for up to 6 households. Schedules and routes were chosen based on the athletic capabilities of each dog in my care.

McDonalds, 2011-12
Responsibilities: Short-Order Cook, Deep-fry Operator
Achievements: Strong working knowledge of WHMIS and Food Safe Handling Procedures
Awards: Employee of the Month, Sept 2011

Education History - Most current (relevant) school first.

University of USA
Program: Bachelor of Study, 2013 - Current
Achievements: Dean's List, Semester 1 of 2013

All-American High School
Program: High School Diploma
Extra-Curricular: Volleyball, Chess Club, Improv Team

REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST

It's PepsiCo. They don't expect you to have experience. But when they get 1000 resumes that all look the same, brag about your accomplishments. There will probably be 100 employees with the exact same experience that you have... but you were Employee of the Month and have demonstrated management skills in running a complex dog walking operation. As small as your job-related accomplishment may seem, it is something that NO OTHER resume will include, since most people just say WHERE they worked, not what they did or how they excelled at it.

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Just to add: For an internship you can put your expected degree on there ("B.A. Basket Weaving, State College - 2016" or whatever) and if it's good put your GPA. (GPA is something that probably won't impress a hiring manager a lot but may impress HR.)

Also your school almost certainly has a Career Services office that can help you out with stuff like this. You don't have to do exactly what they say, but they probably have some good advice.

Just to add: For an internship you can put your expected degree on there ("B.A. Basket Weaving, State College - 2016" or whatever) and if it's good put your GPA. (GPA is something that probably won't impress a hiring manager a lot but may impress HR.)

Also your school almost certainly has a Career Services office that can help you out with stuff like this. You don't have to do exactly what they say, but they probably have some good advice.
I don't have a GPA, I just earned my Associates in Arts and I am going for my Bachelors now. I do have a certificate for completing the Great Books Curriculum and participating in discussions outside of class from my community college.

This actually depends on the level of position you are applying for at the time. Entry level positions will want a short resume but for more experienced positions, they will want to see the years of experience they are looking for so they expect it to reach the 2 page limit.
I'm an entry level scrub.