What's new

"Requirement: Do X thing Y times to advance" is horrible and must change.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
This is by far the worst part of the Towers of Time, IMO, and I'm surprised so few people are talking about it.

I have a character tower right now where one tower's requirement is "get 75 fatalities with Johnny" and then the next tower's requirement is "get 75 brutalities with Johnny."

Now let's think about this.

Not only do I have to win 150 matches as Johnny -- not only do I have to successfully land 75 brutalities -- but I can't even play these matches in Johnny's own tower because my advancement in it is blocked. And the entire time I'm doing these 150 matches, which for a casual player could easily take several weeks, I can't advance in any other character tower either. Unless your progress when you switch character towers is tracked? Which I sincerely doubt, but I'm not crazy enough to put that theory to the test now that I have 40 fatalities done.

There's grinding, which I'm perfectly OK with as a motivator. And then there's this. My options right now are to play only Johnny for a VERY LONG TIME doing towers I couldn't care less about because they don't provide rewards for the characters I like... or to let my AI play the game for me, while I tap my controller occasionally while browsing TYM, because he's much faster than I am and does a fatality after every match. In other words, either I play the game and not have fun, or I don't play the game and don't have fun but for a slightly lower period of time. These are my options.

This feels like shit, NRS. And what do I have to look forward to when I complete it? 2 augments, 2 gear items, 2 skins (for both of which I already have their recolors), and 1 brutality? I have 55 Johnny skins left to unlock despite playing no other characters at all for the last day and a half. I'm not about to run out of content aaaany second.

Between what Tyler said during the Kombat Kast today and this, it really feels like NRS didn't actually have any time to playtest this game at all. A few months ago I would have thought that's an impossible situation for a AAA developer to find itself in, but after reading about Anthem's development, I no longer doubt it.

Wait till you get to the tower where you have to defeat scorpion and sub zero with a flawless victory with poison gas on the floor. I tried with health regen items and so on its just impossible. I took 0 dmg from any of them not even on block an refilled my health to full health with a consumable and an anti poison item in the last round, didnt count lol how are u supposed to even do that?

Wait till you get to the tower where you have to defeat scorpion and sub zero with a flawless victory with poison gas on the floor. I tried with health regen items and so on its just impossible. I took 0 dmg from any of them not even on block an refilled my health to full health with a consumable and an anti poison item in the last round, didnt count lol how are u supposed to even do that?
there is one "whole tower" konsumable that nullifies ground damage i think.

oh and generally you can let the AI fight a tower for you, just saying...

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
there is one "whole tower" konsumable that nullifies ground damage i think.

oh and generally you can let the AI fight a tower for you, just saying...
That consumable is acquired totally at random, and you shouldn’t have to “not play the game” in order to enjoy playing the game.
Not arguing with you, just pointing out that there’s a difference between being challenging and being ridiculous.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
This challenge is actually impossible until the RNG gods bless you with the right Konsumable. You HAVE to win with a flawless victory. You can't win with a flawless because the poison is fucking you

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
You could have just wrote “everything about ToT sucks” and everyone would have agreed. It’s the worst fucking thing
The only problem is I don't believe that. I was having a lot of fun practicing Johnny while unlocking new gear in ToT earlier today, before I came across this shit.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Been saying this since for awhile. The artificial difficulty is incredibly lame. It’s lame in any game, but this is ridiculous. Artificial difficulty means something is hard through gimmicks, RNG, and crap like that. So it’s not you outskilling the opponent, it’s you out lucking the opponent. Why not just replace this incredibly random hard added crap and just make the AI brutal difficulty or very hard difficulty. Like it’s not even fun. There isn’t even a sense of accomplishment or satisfaction when you finally win. It’s just, “thank god that’s over”.