What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile vs. Mileena

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I have noticed that a good majority of the Reptile community still sees this MU as a 4-6 or some maybe still a 3-7. I however believe it is 5-5, and I am making this thread seperately from the MU discussion thread to go ahead and answer ANY questions you have on the MU, I truly believe this is the one MU I know better than just about any other Reptile player. Let me know exactly what problems you have with the MU and I will gladly give you a solution. I would do a breakdown on this MU and how to play it, but I have done it a million times in the MU discussion thread as well as the Q and A thread, so if you want more info on the MU and you can't find it here go to those two threads.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I dabble in Mileena on occasion and I have to ask, what leads you to believe that this is even?
Because he can still do everything he would want to against any other character, he just has to go about it differently. His options really aren't limited.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Because he can still do everything he would want to against any other character, he just has to go about it differently. His options really aren't limited.
Care to elaborate? Aren't his punishes on her telekick limited? What about their hitboxes?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Care to elaborate? Aren't his punishes on her telekick limited? What about their hitboxes?
Ex telekick punishes require meter, but they get good damage, or you could go the route of just using d4 on telekicks to make them whiff if you have trouble punishing them. What specifically about hitboxes are you referencing? I would say the only real problem that Reptile has in the MU is landing d4 since hers is better, but it isn't impossible or anything. His oki game is still very much around, and Mileena has to respect dash after everything she does, or she could just roll which is super risky.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Bumping, I have heard way too many people who have issues with this MU and I want to resolve it.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Ex telekick punishes require meter, but they get good damage, or you could go the route of just using d4 on telekicks to make them whiff if you have trouble punishing them. What specifically about hitboxes are you referencing? I would say the only real problem that Reptile has in the MU is landing d4 since hers is better, but it isn't impossible or anything. His oki game is still very much around, and Mileena has to respect dash after everything she does, or she could just roll which is super risky.
If the Mileena player times her air sai correctly after a regular teleport it will hit Reptile standing, so he has to punish it the same way as her ex teleport. I've always thought this is a very slight disadvantage but overall I don't know the matchup well enough to comment.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
If the Mileena player times her air sai correctly after a regular teleport it will hit Reptile standing, so he has to punish it the same way as her ex teleport. I've always thought this is a very slight disadvantage but overall I don't know the matchup well enough to comment.
Oh ok I gotcha I knew about that but I don't really ever have issues because I just started always ducking telekicks with Reptile.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Oh ok I gotcha I knew about that but I don't really ever have issues because I just started always ducking telekicks with Reptile.
Can Reptile get a better punish on telekicks when he's crouch blocking if Mileena whiffs the sai rather than not throwing it all? And can she confirm whether you blocked the telekick standing or crouching before throwing the sai? I need to test that out lol.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Can Reptile get a better punish on telekicks when he's crouch blocking if Mileena whiffs the sai rather than not throwing it all? And can she confirm whether you blocked the telekick standing or crouching before throwing the sai? I need to test that out lol.
She has less advantage when she cancels into the sai and it whiffs, but she comes to the ground faster, and more advantage if she doesn't cancel at all, making the timing weird, but it's still punishable.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
The punish isn't the easiest, especially online (It's rare that I hit anyone with it online), but it is still very doable.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I'm wondering if she whiffs the air sai maybe you'd have time to do d4~forceball or something like that for a good meterless punish.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I'm wondering if she whiffs the air sai maybe you'd have time to do d4~forceball or something like that for a good meterless punish.
That one would be pretty hard, it could be possible however I think the input would be harder.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I'm not sure if everybody knows about not being able to punish the regular telekick but here's a video example of it. youtube.com/watch?v=2_YdeVADbl8

At 8 seconds, 19 seconds, and 3:50 Pig timed the sai to hit Reptile on the head. The rest of the time he was mistiming it so Madzin was able to punish with 32~fastball. But if the Mileena player has their timing down, the only way to punish it is by crouch blocking. She probably doesn't have a reason to ever use ex telekick in this match.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
It looks like a really fun match up for both characters, I haven't seen it played in while though unfortunately (maybe I've just been missing out).