What's new

General/Other - Reptile Reptile Patch Changes (10/4/16) Discussion Thread

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Hey all! The patch dropped. Discuss all Reptile related changes here!
Likes and Dislikes?
Further improvements?

Here are the notes:
  • Reptile - Acid Spit now has 16 frames startup (down from 17), does 7 damage (down from 8) and has 6 less recovery frames
  • Reptile - Acid Puddle now prevents the opponent from running over it
  • Reptile - Klaw Pounce now does 9 damage (up from 7)
  • Reptile - Klaw Bounce no longer allows for a combo juggle afterwards, is now -6 on block (up from -19), and does 12 damage (up from 7)
  • Reptile - Klaw Slash no longer has armor
  • Reptile - Slippery Slide now has 2 hits of armor and is +37 on hit (down from +40)
  • Reptile (Deceptive) - Invisibility no longer has armor
  • Reptile (Nimble) -
  • Reptile (Noxious) -

TamedLizard

Buff George
Overall, I'm okay with the changes.

Loss of flash parry sucks, but Deceptive still gets easy plus frames. And some serious space control is confirmed possible with Reptile now along with a safe, armored way to punish counter zoning attempts.

Noxious will be an interesting variation now. Midscreen F412~gas enders usually force the opponent to tech roll away and zone. Same if you have the life lead. Now he can apply some better full screen pressure as incentive to approach him.

Nimble may get better damage outputs everywhere on the screen because of spit recovery. Or it at least opens up some very intriguing options for combos.

Effing bonus is that you may be able to combo off of F412~Spit at a certain distance from the corner. Hello swag city.

We in dis guys. :)

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Overall, I'm okay with the changes.

Loss of flash parry sucks, but Deceptive still gets easy plus frames. And some serious space control is confirmed possible with Reptile now along with a safe, armored way to punish counter zoning attempts.

Noxious will be an interesting variation now. Midscreen F412~gas enders usually force the opponent to tech roll away and zone. Same if you have the life lead. Now he can apply some better full screen pressure as incentive to approach him.

Nimble may get better damage outputs everywhere on the screen because of spit recovery. Or it at least opens up some very intriguing options for combos.

Effing bonus is that you may be able to combo off of F412~Spit at a certain distance from the corner. Hello swag city.

We in dis guys. :)
Indeed. I think these changes are completely fair

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Already posted this in different thread but oh well synopsis:

"I completely disagree. We lose a risky 3/4ths screen "50/50" I'd argue is reactable. that could do 28%ish and lead into setup (which was already punishable and very easy to whiff with) . We also lose our armor which I'm mainly mad about cause it removes our only anti air option (unless our d2 suddenly works... dont get your hopes up) These all cost a bar too so they were not free especially for a character people consider meter hungry."

What do we gain? We gain for meter what Erron has meterlessly.. except ours doesnt tick on knockdown or throw Erron.. or during combos that juggle (alien)

A few frames off spit but that's contradicted by the damage nerf as well.

Meanwhile others recieved buffs/nerfs. Just buffs, or character changes where they lost lets say armor but gained damage. We didn't have any trades except spit.
I think we went from mid tier to bringing up the bottom by a bit. It's not the end of the world.. we aren't rekt or useless. It's not like were not viable.. but were certainly further from tourneys tomorrow than we are today. This being said I will lab for a few hours and maybe I'll find something they didnt announce or a brutality or some reason to be happy but looking at the patch notes.. wtf.

Israel

Noob
:)

I seek to understand when u say noxious maybe interesting now? They didnt make any changes to any variation (except take away) so noxious is still same. Are u saying ending combo with gas ender is going to be more useful because of the pounce being safe now?
Or what else are u thinking, share with me plz.

*Ill say this again, the reason reptile puddle wont work better or be even slightly different from erron or alien is cuz they dont care about him. He had to get the 'opponent can not run' buff in..a patch? while others come out the womb (erron, alien) doing that but perhaps better?* I will never like the fact that they just take poops on my character, like its messed up, and i will always voice that.

haketh

Noob
"I completely disagree. We lose a risky 3/4ths screen "50/50" I'd argue is reactable. that could do 28%ish and lead into setup (which was already punishable and very easy to whiff with) . We also lose our armor which I'm mainly mad about cause it removes our only anti air option (unless our d2 suddenly works... dont get your hopes up) These all cost a bar too so they were not free especially for a character people consider meter hungry."
Anti airing is gonna be a lot easier if I'm reading the general nerf to jump ins right, they're gonna have extended hurt boxes before becoming active thus making AAing easier.

Paradoxxx

You smell of desperation...
Reptile now will be a lot more of a zoner with the acid buff meterless and ex!also deceptive died patch by patch first the jail remove and now the parry!i think now nimble is the best one by far!in general i tvink reptile is pretty strong as a character in compare with the whole cast!still we have the fastest armor with two hits of armor and a good one for antizoning and anti cross up wich is safe now!

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Reptile keeping his fast, plus overhead, is kinda crazy. He might come out ahead tbh.

That Syzoth guy is among the "must ignore" members on TYM. He once argued that Reptile has 0 winning match ups.
I was surprised his overhead wasn't slower. Almost every over head in the game was either turned into a mid, or slowed down significantly

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Overhyping the changes are we?

Reptile got overall nerfed and that's it. Forceball still shit for his bad matchups, nobody gave a fuck subzero and mileena just stroll under it.

Armored launchers gone, so the only use for ex db2 is from b3 which you can't hit confirm, otherwise you'd have to be insane to spend meter on it -> useless.

Variations didn't get jack shit, still with the same problems as before.

And some people say he's better now that he has 6 framess of his spit? You must be smoking acid.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Overhyping the changes are we?

Reptile got overall nerfed and that's it. Forceball still shit for his bad matchups, nobody gave a fuck subzero and mileena just stroll under it.

Armored launchers gone, so the only use for ex db2 is from b3 which you can't hit confirm, otherwise you'd have to be insane to spend meter on it -> useless.

Variations didn't get jack shit, still with the same problems as before.

And some people say he's better now that he has 6 framess of his spit? You must be smoking acid.
He overall didn't get anything that great, but he will still be solid. And B3 into ex DB2 is completely useless imo because you can do B3~ex Forceball and be completely safe, while ex DB2 is -14

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Reptile keeping his fast, plus overhead, is kinda crazy. He might come out ahead tbh.

That Syzoth guy is among the "must ignore" members on TYM. He once argued that Reptile has 0 winning match ups.
Careful, some would say I'm a "must ignore" member. Or maybe AIDS TYM is the better phrase? ;-)

I think Reptiles keepaway is pretty damn solid. Stopping run with his acid puddle is a pretty big deal, imo. You end up baiting them to jump over it, or they block and it's party time for Reptile.

Purely speculation.

Lanqu

Noob
I think now reptile's nimble will be damn good. Cz It has pretty much meterless setups and each such setup now benefits from armors being not launchable. And Nimble actually will be the second "only" variation with armored launcher hehe.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
It won't benefit because every time you use nimble you will get armored out. Sure, you won't get launched into 40% but you spend a bar just to get hit with their bar. Still useless as before.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Couldn't the slide change somehow affect his MBSlide corner combos?
That's what I'm thinking. 3 frames less hit advantage. It may still be possible though just perhaps not in every combo.

If you can still get a D3 in to juggle after a grounded ex slide though, then we technically have a low profiling, 2 hit armored low launcher in the corner lol.

Lanqu

Noob
It won't benefit because every time you use nimble you will get armored out. Sure, you won't get launched into 40% but you spend a bar just to get hit with their bar. Still useless as before.
It will benefit. Because there are plenty of meterless nimble setups against the cast. That what I ment

That's what I'm thinking. 3 frames less hit advantage. It may still be possible though just perhaps not in every combo.

If you can still get a D3 in to juggle after a grounded ex slide though, then we technically have a low profiling, 2 hit armored low launcher in the corner lol.
I think that they removed 3 frames to prevent corner launch because previously it was rather tight, like 3 frames window ^_^

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
That 6 frames less recovery off his spit is insanely good for his zoning... That's twice as much as they buffed mileena's sai in XL, and we all know how annoying that projectile became. Reptile looking to be a top zoner now and even got to keep his superfast overhead on top of it.