What's new

Question - Reptile Reptile - General Discussion - Do any matchups favor deceptive?

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
good grief.... didn't realize he had so many + strings.

21 being + is crazy.

is 141 applicable to anything on hit? besides 14 letting you get ex Nimble out?
I like to use it as a ender and force ball afterwards. Against characters like sonya subz or Johnny it's good because they can't punish you easily if not at all. Or you can use it as a corner carry.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
how do I get reptile's option select out? does it still work or is it one of the ones that've been patched out?

is it me or should holding the input to go full invis be a little faster? i havent counted but it feels like when youre holding the input to go full invis (it seems like it takes close to about 2 seconds) it just takes tooooo long. I know you can just burn the meter but its like he is SO meter dependent that i try to preserve it by going invis without meter. You can do his 12 for a hard knockdown and do his invis inputs and by the time they get up youre still trying to go completely invisible. I just feel like the startup should be a little faster.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
The only way I see you can get fully invisible without meter in this game is doing a slow ball, stopping it in the air and standing there doing it, against a character that has no meter for armor and no projectile to interrupt you. And it still means you spend a bar for the ball stop. Which makes the thing even more redundant as you could have spent it directly on the ex invis.

So yea. Completely Useless.

MB Invisibility is used for 5 reasons:

1. It allows you to armour through a projectile and successfully enter the invisible state, this will help to start your zoning, and almost always puts the opponent in a panic state.

2. Once you MB through a projectile into invisibility, you DO NOT TAKE ANY DAMAGE on hit from a projectile that might hit you during a trade as you try to get some force balls on the go, this also works for things such as not taking the initial JIP damage from a JIP combo, or the first hit of someones X-Ray, which in most cases, does the biggest damage as part of the X-Ray, i.e, Kotal Kahns X-Ray ends up at 25%. This is also the same for his regular stealth. You will however take the block damage from a projectile if you block.

You can actually attempt to get regular invisibility out in a projectile trade war, as you will take no damage on start up of the invisibility. I will show this in a video on Sunday.

3. It allows you to counter string gaps and fully punish instead of back dashing or blocking them, same for single hitting armoured wake up attacks. For example, some opponents have safe armoured single hitting wake up attacks, like Sub Zero's Hammer, if you see the hammer and block it, yes you could punish with an elbow dash but the MB invisibility will allow for a full combo punish, and yes, you can use MB claw to counter string gaps, but if your MB Claw is blocked, you are full punishable. Invisibility will still allow you to be wrong and block on a confirm.

4. It allows some strings that would be unsafe on block to be cancelled and made safe, such as 212.

5. It's kinda cool.
so are you saying instead of using moves to punish an opponent on block i should do his mb invis instead?

Gravelands

Cory, Trevor, smokes. Let's go.
so are you saying instead of using moves to punish an opponent on block i should do his mb invis instead?
If you EX Invis instead of EX Klaw or anything, the average player might not realize what you're doing and will give you plenty of time to start mixing things up while you're invisible. Also, if you use EX invisibility and are hit while still turning invisible, you have armor (while you're turning) AND still go invisible. It's worked plenty of times for me online - EX invis as a reversal, B2 into F211+3 (I find that most players low block against rep), and so on.

It's obviously 100% dependent on the skill level of yourself and your opponent, but it's definitely not a terrible move.

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
MB Invisibility is used for 5 reasons:

1. It allows you to armour through a projectile and successfully enter the invisible state, this will help to start your zoning, and almost always puts the opponent in a panic state.

2. Once you MB through a projectile into invisibility, you DO NOT TAKE ANY DAMAGE on hit from a projectile that might hit you during a trade as you try to get some force balls on the go, this also works for things such as not taking the initial JIP damage from a JIP combo, or the first hit of someones X-Ray, which in most cases, does the biggest damage as part of the X-Ray, i.e, Kotal Kahns X-Ray ends up at 25%. This is also the same for his regular stealth. You will however take the block damage from a projectile if you block.

You can actually attempt to get regular invisibility out in a projectile trade war, as you will take no damage on start up of the invisibility. I will show this in a video on Sunday.

3. It allows you to counter string gaps and fully punish instead of back dashing or blocking them, same for single hitting armoured wake up attacks. For example, some opponents have safe armoured single hitting wake up attacks, like Sub Zero's Hammer, if you see the hammer and block it, yes you could punish with an elbow dash but the MB invisibility will allow for a full combo punish, and yes, you can use MB claw to counter string gaps, but if your MB Claw is blocked, you are full punishable. Invisibility will still allow you to be wrong and block on a confirm.

4. It allows some strings that would be unsafe on block to be cancelled and made safe, such as 212.

5. It's kinda cool.
Hey UsedForGlue, superawesome77 :) I think I will see you in Paris in July right ? (Japan Expo)
I play reptile as well, Deceptive is my favorite. The EXinvisibility is very good if you are in a poke battle too or to punish several armored wake up even if it's quite risky.

huh

Noob
Guys, what have you been using 1,2 and 3,4 for? I've been having a hard time finding out why to use these strings..

As combo starters, 1,2 and 3,4 are both slower than F412, with less reach. And F412 hits mid (and has an overhead in the middle) while 12 and 34 hit high and will whiff against crouching opponents. F412~reptilian dash is more easily hit confirmable than 12-ffb. 34 is hit confirmable but only combos with meter. So, if f412 is faster, mid, hit confirmable, why not to use it instead of 12 & 34?

Mid combos, 2,1 is better than 1,2.

Could you guys share any tech, situations when is better to use 1,2 or 3,4 instead of f412?

Xev

Noob
So our buffs. More damage from b2 is good, d3 7 frames is good.

• Reptile - adjusted several hitboxes to hit more consistently
First thing I noticed is 2,1 seems to hit higher than it used to. Anyone else notice anything?

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Only if you can make it, otherwise pick which ever variation you want. dont let the "Top players" decide what you should choose b/c they say so. Dont fall into their hands like sheep.

Xev

Noob
Pre patch could you do b1d4 into forceball to combo? Because you can now. In the corner you can even do b1d4 into slowball for a combo (can be armored in between, and god knows what else). Just messing around...

Gravelands

Cory, Trevor, smokes. Let's go.
Pre patch could you do b1d4 into forceball to combo? Because you can now. In the corner you can even do b1d4 into slowball for a combo (can be armored in between, and god knows what else). Just messing around...
No, you couldn't, and this is pretty cool stuff, can't wait for the download to complete to see what these changes add. Clearly they won't please every other Reptile player out there, but I'm going to assume that this is the best we're gonna get and will gladly make due.

huh

Noob
Guys, what have you been using 1,2 and 3,4 for? I've been having a hard time finding out why to use these strings..

As combo starters, 1,2 and 3,4 are both slower than F412, with less reach. And F412 hits mid (and has an overhead in the middle) while 12 and 34 hit high and will whiff against crouching opponents. F412~reptilian dash is more easily hit confirmable than 12-ffb. 34 is hit confirmable but only combos with meter. So, if f412 is faster, mid, hit confirmable, why not to use it instead of 12 & 34?

Mid combos, 2,1 is better than 1,2.

Could you guys share any tech, situations when is better to use 1,2 or 3,4 instead of f412?
It is not in the patch notes, but now 34 can be cancelled into fast forceball for now a most damaging practical bnb midscreen.

34~ffb, njp, f41, f412~slide (33%)
34~ffb, njp, 21, f412~slide (31%)

Thats 1-3% more than the f412 combo.

It improves a bit this string since 34~ffb is easily hit confirmable. So, 34 perhaps can be used now to squeeze a little bit more damage in a safe hit confirmable string.

f412~rep. dash = mid, fast, hit confirmable
34~ffb = hit confirmable, more damage

On the other hand, now 12~ffb is definitely useless. It is harder to hit confirm than 3,4, is slower than f412, is duckable ad has no more reach than any of them.

Are there any other changes that you guys noticed that are not in the patch notes?

Last edited:

Xev

Noob
Been messing around with his standing 2 as an anti since its hitbox was improved for for combo's and it's somewhat legit. Very matchup based though, and against kicks it can be pretty rough. If you have someone jumping in on you and they're extremely close you can do a njp right after for more damage.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Dunno if this was possible pre-patch, but 141 in the corner combos into d1/d3 now.

141, d3, 21, f412 xx slide (31%)

Also, the more I get the patch-day salt out of my mouth, the less I'm disappointed. The d3 change alone does indeed alter some things in matchups, and the 34/b1d4 buffs are a step in the right direction.

Obviously, they shouldn't consider themselves done, though. A large issue with Reptile is his meterless game outside of combo damage. I hope they retool how the meterless specials for his variations work. I feel if they do this:

-Make Deceptive and Nimble's regular special have the same startup frames as the EX versions
-Make Noxious's regular gas do the same DoT as EX
-Have Nimble and Noxious's regular special's active frames half as long as the EX version
-Allow Reptile to stay invisible when blocking attacks

Then you solve his meterless game for the most part, and give him a much more enjoyable gameplan overall. That's literally all I want to see happen, because I feel like that's the key thing that's pushing him down at this point.

Xev

Noob
You can use 141 as more damaging filler in your corner combo's too, just by a percent or two but it's there if you want it. Was able to get 35% off f412 xxbf2 141, d1, d1 f412xx bf4. Wasn't too hard, probably going to keep using it. Really hate using the jump back attacks for forceballs for that starter since that patch where they made it so you can't attack as fast out of a jump.

edit, 34 normally, 35 was with me being in noxious...derp

Last edited:

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
In Deceptive, Reptile should be able to set up a combo from 34 MB Invisibility. On block, 34 MB Invis should be safe, and while blocking, the invisibility should stay. But obviously be removed when hit.

Regular stealth needs a start up buff as it is almost impossible to ever land it unless you are trying to trade with a projectile and don't want to take block damage...

He could also do with one advantage string into MB invis on block. B1D4, or 212 or 21 or something, really anything.