What's new

Question - Reptile Reptile - General Discussion - Do any matchups favor deceptive?

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Reptile General Discussion

Hey Everyone, all post release discussions are to be posted here in order to clean up any of the old speculations on variations and so forth. If you guys have any questions on reptile please post them here, don't forget to tag me as well. This section will updated frequently with any sort of trending topic going on so speak up!

Last edited:

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I think Nimble is very good, but it's taking time to get used to the idea that I have the ability to use the speed force lol.

The speed really limits where you can do it, but its properties make for some insane pressure. Plus on block overhead that leads to a combo? Yesssssss!

One thing I'm feeling with Reptile, though, is that I don't see a point to switch variations for the matchup. At least not right now. It feels like each variation just gives him something that compliments your playstyle and doesn't necessarily affect matchups.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
I think Nimble is very good, but it's taking time to get used to the idea that I have the ability to use the speed force lol.

The speed really limits where you can do it, but its properties make for some insane pressure. Plus on block overhead that leads to a combo? Yesssssss!

One thing I'm feeling with Reptile, though, is that I don't see a point to switch variations for the matchup. At least not right now. It feels like each variation just gives him something that compliments your playstyle and doesn't necessarily affect matchups.

I agree with the nimble statement. As far as the variation switch there are definitely situations for it. Think about this, you're playing against a teleport character that can easily knock you out of nimble if you don't do it in a combo. Hell they can even prevent you from getting it out at all if they have good enough footsies and neutral game. Noxious would turn out to be the better option and here's why

You don't have to worry about an activation to use the core element of the variation
You still have setups for the noxious cloud buffs granting you a better offence even if your offense is blocked
You still deal damage, even if its incremental, to combo heavy characters with teleports like scorpion.

Gr1mgr1n84

Why ask why?! When HOW is so much more FUN!
To be honest I only use Noxious. I didn't like the Flash's trait in injustice so I feel nimble is the same thing. the camouflage doesn't help me ever though i do enjoy going all predator on AI but online it doesn't help me.

I'm still messing around with his variations a lot, but I'm finding nimble to be my favorite. being still new to the game I find it difficult hit confirming f412 into ex slomo, and dear God is f412 ex slomo slide the tightest window I've ever seen in this game lol

THTB

I agree with the nimble statement. As far as the variation switch there are definitely situations for it. Think about this, you're playing against a teleport character that can easily knock you out of nimble if you don't do it in a combo. Hell they can even prevent you from getting it out at all if they have good enough footsies and neutral game. Noxious would turn out to be the better option and here's why

You don't have to worry about an activation to use the core element of the variation
You still have setups for the noxious cloud buffs granting you a better offence even if your offense is blocked
You still deal damage, even if its incremental, to combo heavy characters with teleports like scorpion.
That's true. Never really thought about that.

@G4S Killin Natzees it's not too bad of a link, now that I've gotten used to it. f412 is really hard to hitconfirm, though, so I tend to not do so and just resort to f412 xx basilisk when I want to punish, since f4 is 8f.

That's true. Never really thought about that.

@G4S Killin Natzees it's not too bad of a link, now that I've gotten used to it. f412 is really hard to hitconfirm, though, so I tend to not do so and just resort to f412 xx basilisk when I want to punish, since f4 is 8f.
Yeah I've started hitting it more and more, and it feels about as tight as the old 321 combo lol.

In general, I feel that b3 is gonna be a huge normal in the neutral game.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
After dedicating a full day to Reptile I am starting to see an issue in his neutral game that will almost certainly spell for bad MUs down the road. Reptile has a difficult time vs low blocking opponents that have a low projectile and rangy pokes. The major problem that I am seeing is that you basically have to be sitting on someone's face to utilize B2. This SEVERELY limits his ability to open people up because they have nothing to fear from you at his optimal footsie range because his overhead special is HELLA slow, easily blockable, and like -400000 on block and wiff and his EX Claw is a mid.

Just my 2 cents.... I am not maining him however so I could be missing something and I might just be spoiled by ridiculous ass Erron Black, but unless he gets his claw changed to an overhead he is going to have major issues with character like Erron Black, Jax, and Sonya who all can out zone, out footsie, and out damage him.

Last edited:
Yes is true, today a Milena and an Arron Player give a hard time, especially with Milena's piercing variation. I really hope for a change in the claws damage.

THTB

I am starting to see an issue in Reptile's neutral game that will almost certainly spell for bad MUs. Reptile has a difficult time vs low blocking opponents that have a low projectile and rangy pokes. The major problem that I am seeing is that you basically have to be sitting on someone's face to utilize B2. This SEVERELY limits his ability to open people up because they have nothing to fear from you at his optimal footsie range because his overhead special is HELLA slow, easily blockable, and like -400000 on block and wiff and his EX Claw is a mid.

Just my 2 cents.... I am not maining him however so I could be missing something and I might just be spoiled by ridiculous ass Erron Black, but unless he gets his claw changed to an overhead he is going to have major issues with character like Erron Black, Jax, and Sonya who all can out zone, out footsie, and out damage him.
b2's hitbox is absurd and is 10f. Spaced right, you can catch pokes and stuff really well, and convert to f211+3. f21 in general leads to a classic mixup of armor or not on block, and is good for whiff punishing.

As far as low projectiles, he's always had that issue, but EX pounce helps here. It's just annoying trying to direct it lmao. I feel like on a good read, EX pounce is damn good.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
When everyone learns to utilize running correctly, then his b2 will be a huge deal. And erron black has a lot of problems against characters with good normals like reptile.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
so what can i do off any of reptile's lows, what are my best BnBs for damage/setting up pressure, and how good is he overall

he feels really solid tbh, i'm glad his variations aren't some game-changing wonky shit that leaves him feeling incomplete in all of them. fun as hell too