What's new

REO and 995Phil explain UMK3 vs. N64 MK Trilogy

REO

Undead
Hey, guys here's the video we promised earlier this week. In this video we cover why we're deciding to pick up and play MKT. It includes a brief comparison of UMK3 and the N64 version of Trilogy. We also go into detail as to why block jabs (known by some as glitch jabs, HP glitch, and golden punches) are not the end all be all strategy in Trilogy. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

zaf

professor
How do you do Block Jabs in the first place? BLK + LP?
okay so basically, the way you throw in this game is by doing normals like a jab up close ( like old school sf as well)
to counter a throw you need to hold back + block.
but by doing this you get no pushback letting someone runjab you forever.
so you need to hold down+back while blocking so that you avoid the grabs, and so that you can get pushback
with the added pushback, you can now poke out or jump out or actually do something

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Question: Is there a tier list for MKT?

Next question: Are there any banned characters/tactics in MKT? I'm told the game has infinites and the like...is this true?

I really have enjoyed what I've been seeing from the MK: T streams.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
you forgot me lol

Anyway, i shared this stuff, i'm just taking advantage of this spark to light some fire in the guys from MKT here in my country as well lol. Maybe we can run a MK Trilogy tournament, though i doubt they will bend to this rules, we played with Unlimited run for over 10 years, i doubt we're willing to change now haha.

Reactions: REO

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
This is seriously hype.
I'm seriously considering getting a 64 off of EBay and joining in on this revival.

I still think Boon and the MUGEN guys should get together and make a giant sprite-based MK throwback compendium.
All the characters, all the stages, all the generations, just like this.
If I can adapt to back-to-block, I can adapt to a Run button.
Especially if it was focused around 3V3. Oh goodness.
I don't see why not. It couldn't possibly cost that much.
The possibilities would be fucking infinite. The tournament life could be enormous.
The combinations of teams would range from colorful to ridiculous.
Reptile, Scorpion, Ermac.
Quan Chi, Ashrah, Johnny Cage.
Mavado, Stryker, Onaga.
Baraka, Liu Kang, Skarlet.
YOU COULD BE ANYONE AND EVERYONE.
IT WOULD BE LIKE MVC2 TIMES TWO.

This should happen. And the Trilogy revival should skyrocket to prove it'd be worth getting behind.
Fuck it. I'm gonna get a 64. I'm in.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
okay so basically, the way you throw in this game is by doing normals like a jab up close ( like old school sf as well)
to counter a throw you need to hold back + block.
but by doing this you get no pushback letting someone runjab you forever.
so you need to hold down+back while blocking so that you avoid the grabs, and so that you can get pushback
with the added pushback, you can now poke out or jump out or actually do something
I meant like being able to jab and block at the same time

Noob
you pretty much just plink jab into block, then repeat.
block also, iirc...... makes the animations of the jabs end sooner.
so just tap jab block jab block
In UMK3, you can also hold Down+Back to throw and sweep defend at all times, however this causes you to stand in place. You can technically press d/b as you press the block button (when cancelling the punch) and move the pad/stick from forward to d/b with each repetition helping you to advance forward with the kara jabs while defending against everything. This is EXTREMELY technical and requires very high execution to do effectively. The more common block jabs keep you stationary until you're ready to advance.

I still have my N64 for 3 reasons:

Goldeneye: 007
NFL Blitz 2000
MK Trilogy - I bought MKT when I bought the system, unlike the majority of kids who got Mario 64.

Glad to see this game finally getting some attention as something besides a broken, red headed step child version of the game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
We will eventually come up with a tier list. We need more time with the game though. I will say that a tier list isn't as necessary in this game. Nearly every single character can compete, so just use who you like and feel comfortable with.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I think the main thing people need to "get" is that the game plays fundamentally different than UMK3. So it's not just a faster version of UMK3, it's a different game. You can say "how much different can it be, all the moves are the same and it has the same characters?". Which is true, the moves are the same and are done the same way. But the way the game is played competitively and at high levels is vastly different, as is shown in this video. You won't just be playing against block jabs, which is the biggest complaint in UMK3.

I would like to say though, that the block jabs are also beatable in UMK3. But if you do not know how to beat them or use them, you are at such a significant disadvantage. And they are 10x easier to beat in N64 MKT than they are in UMK3. In UMK3 they are dominant, in MKT they are not.