What's new

Reminder: Wireless PS3 Stock and Wireless joysticks are banned

MrWizard

Evo Master
Evolution 2011 is a Bring-Your-Own-Controller event. We provide the consoles, games, monitors and speakers for every game station, but it's up to the players to bring the controller they plan to play. This year we are restricting the controllers players are allowed to bring to ensure fair play and guarantee the integrity of the results.

How Wireless Controllers Work

All EVO games will be run on the Playstation 3. The Playstation 3 Dual Shock and Sixaxis controllers are both wireless devices. Plugging your controller into a PS3 for the first time pairs your controller to that Playstation. This pairing will be remembered by the Playstation until you sync your controller to another Playstation. We have found no reliable workaround to remove this pairing (1).

The Problem

Since there's no easy way to unpair a controller from a Playstation 3, any player who had previously played on a game console may accidently interfer with another game in progress. Consider the following scenario

1) Players A and B sync their controllers to the game station.
2) After they finish their game, Players A and B turn off their controllers.
3) Even though their controllers are turned off, the Playstation still remember that they are paired.
4) Players C and D sync their controllers and begin the next game.
5) Player A turns on his controller and hits the home button.
6) Since he hasn't yet synced his controller to the new station, hitting the home button will interrupt the game played by Players C and D.

There are a million different ways this can happen. For example:

1) A player eliminated from the tournament puts his controller in his backpack. While he's walking, some item in his backpack accidently bumps the home button, interrupting a game in progress.
2) A player finishes his semi-final match and turns off his controller. 15 minutes later he is called for his match in the finals of the winners bracket. While syncing his controller to the new Playstation, he accidently hits the home button while before his USB cord is plugged in, interrupting the semi-finals of the loser's bracket happening on the console he just left.
3) A sore loser eliminated from the tournament maliciously presses his home button to interrupt matches.
4) A player notices that is friend is about to lose a match on a console that he had just played on. He decides to "save" his friend by pressing the home button, forcing a replay of the round.

While some of these may sound far-fetched, each of these scenarios has happened at past EVO events. Some have occurred multiple times. In order to ensure the integrity of future events, we are not allowing players to use controllers which pair themselves with Playstations.

Allowed Controllers

1) Fight Sticks. To our knowledge, all fightsticks made by Hori and MadCatz use a wired connection and do not pair themselves to the PlayStation. They are all allowed.

2) MadCatz Fightpads. MadCatz Fightpad use a bluetooth USB dongle to pair the pad to the dongle. Since they do not create a paring between the pad and the Playstation 3, they are allowed.

3) All PS2 Controllers used with a PS2/PS3 convertor. Dualshock 2 or other PS2 controllers used with a converter box to convert them to PS3 controllers are allowed. For players accustomed to using a PS3 controller, this is your best option.

Specifically Banned Controllers

1) The Sixaxis and Dualshock 3 controllers designed for use on the Playstation 3 are specifically banned. These controllers have been the source of all of our problems in the past. We realize you can make these controllers "tournament friendly" by opening them and removing the batter, but we have no good way to enforce that rule at the scale EVO must operate on to finish on-time.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It definitely sucks that this is the only actual solution, but very understandable and I'm behind it 100%. This issue was abundant throughout the PowerUp tournament, so it definitely makes perfect sense.

This should be done for all tournaments, actually.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Thread stuck.

And I didn't know there was a ps3 converter for ps2 controllers.... can someone link me to these?

Also, promoted to the front page*

S1LENT1

Shadow Priest
Thanks for the post Mr. Wizard, good to see u here!!

Ill start by saying I can understand how frustrating it is to deal with these issues. But forcing people not to use the controller that comes standard with the exclusive console for EVO is a little much. Not only is it another expense, but now we have to break in a new controller vs one we have been using for a couple years.

Last year for tekken, I remember they did have an extra consol there just for us to sync our pads to after the match finished. The staff members even stated that if we didn’t check in to re-sync, we could be disqualified if a match was interrupted. From what I know that system worked pretty well last year and it wasn’t too hard to accomplish. This system would be more convenient to the thousands of pad players that will be at EVO, including myself. I know its kind of hard on the organizers to have to keep track of one more thing, but overall it would be better for the competitors.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Yes, just to be clear MK probably has more pad players than Tekken does.

If you could make an exception for T6 please consider making one for MK.

MrWizard

Evo Master
No game has an exception anymore. Last year players claimed they didnt read that on the site, so this year we are putting it out there now.

No there will be no exceptions made going forward.

S1LENT1

Shadow Priest
Mr. Wizard, didn’t having an extra consol on stand by specifically for de-sync work for tekken 6 last year at EVO? I know it wasn’t too big of a turnout, but it still worked if I remember correctly. Is there any chance you can sleep on this one? Maybe get with the staff that helped run the Tekken 6 brackets at EVO last year to see how it went. I know its your tourney, and u can do what u want, but I think there is a better solution here.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I'm not even sure if I'm gonna be able to go to EVO but I got that converter you linked me to, Tim anyway.

Not having an official wired ps3 pad is a major downfall... it's a true wonder why there isn't already one.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I'm not even sure if I'm gonna be able to go to EVO but I got that converter you linked me to, Tim anyway.

Not having an official wired ps3 pad is a major downfall... it's a true wonder why there isn't already one.
nah they just should have made a cheap lag/delay free PS2 converter on their own.

Its Sony, they'll never EVER feel they owe anyone anything.

Marvaz

come at me
R U FUCKING KIDDING ME?? LOL. Like silent was saying, why can't we just have a ps3 to sync up to once your done playing?? I just recently started getting good at this game and been using only ps3 dual shock. I tried ps2 the other day with a converter and its SHIT!

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
Quite the conundrum I'm in. I really want to make it to ECT this year, as it'll be my first year I'm able to go by myself, and the very first tourney I'd be playing in EVER...but 1) I play on Xbox and use the controller so I don't have a stick modded for ps3 usage, 2) My friends have ps3's but they use Dualshocks, so no Madcatz Pads. I really want to attend, but if I can't find a way around this, then ECT is out of the question for me...

xxvic1ousxx

Awake and Dreaming...
R U FUCKING KIDDING ME?? LOL. Like silent was saying, why can't we just have a ps3 to sync up to once your done playing?? I just recently started getting good at this game and been using only ps3 dual shock. I tried ps2 the other day with a converter and its SHIT!
They've had "de-sync stations" all throughout their venues. But they were underutilized, and the problem remained regardless.

I think I remember seeing a third party, wired PS3 controller with the same design and layout as a DS3/Six-Axis. I'll search around and post what I can find.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Looks like crap but buy one and try it out. its cheap....

and if your basing this on using some converter with a PS2 pad, you were using the wrong converter. I posted the one you need to buy for a reason, but its lag/delay free. Just judge it off some other piece of crap. Not all converters are the same. 98% of the are terrible.

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
Quite the conundrum I'm in. I really want to make it to ECT this year, as it'll be my first year I'm able to go by myself, and the very first tourney I'd be playing in EVER...but 1) I play on Xbox and use the controller so I don't have a stick modded for ps3 usage, 2) My friends have ps3's but they use Dualshocks, so no Madcatz Pads. I really want to attend, but if I can't find a way around this, then ECT is out of the question for me...
well if its any concern...i have a madcatz pad and am attending ECT3. so if we don't have a simultaneous match, I would be glad to lend you my pad.

Plus i advise players who will not buy a converter to go to a local gamestop and buy a Madcatz pad. I mean they are affordable (i got mine for 35) and is just about as much as buying a ps2 controller and then buying a converter. Plus its convenient because the controllers are identical on both systems, making playing on one system to another 0% adjustment. Just ffod for thought.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Man what a bowl of SUCK this is - time to get used to a 4TH controller

******%$%^$%^$%&***&*

Tim wheres best place to buy a new ps2 controller thats of high quality

Tim Static

Adminerator
If Hitboxes are allowed, are keyboards allowed?
I dont see why not, but i'd PM [user]MrWizard[/user] just to be safe.

Man what a bowl of SUCK this is - time to get used to a 4TH controller

******%$%^$%^$%&***&*

Tim wheres best place to buy a new ps2 controller thats of high quality
haha ive found some really cheap brand new Sony PS2 dual shocks at a local general store called Meijers (have no idea if they are in GA) but look at players that sell games but dont focus on them, stuff like that.

I would only buy new ones at this point, but also make sure you order the Inpin converter for Ps2 to PS3 and the Xtokki converter for Ps2 to 360. Both are godlike, lag/delay free converters that will allow you use 1 controller no matter what console is being used.

S1LENT1

Shadow Priest
Thanks for those links Tim, i made a post at mku to help people find converters. Oh and i bought a NEW ps2 controller for $5 at gamestop!

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Use a stick, problem solved.
Lol

Hey konqrr anyway I can get ur # or give u mine? Want to meet up at Evo and hang out and get some games in.

Really looking forward to meeting/hanging w like 20 of you that I've talked to for years