What's new

Tech - Relentless Relentless Tech and Strategy Discussion

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
But many characters can OS punish him..

Example Quan chi can press all the buttons and press fb and get the trance .. or he can jump and press uf with all the buttons and you will get skull or stomp all punishing the pursuit.
raw trance doesn't have good range, jump OS specials count, but wasn't that OS removed? Plus, I believe it will always be confusing enough to make them lose some frames, so you may block at the very last moment

Anyway you have a point, maybe in the long term it won't be usable, though I believe we should use it since then, might find more.

raw trance doesn't have good range, jump OS specials count, but wasn't that OS removed? Plus, I believe it will always be confusing enough to make them lose some frames, so you may block at the very last moment

Anyway you have a point, maybe in the long term it won't be usable, though I believe we should use it since then, might find more.
It's good versus some but only after a f33...

Like Kotal Khan can't do too much but his walk speed is kinda good :\ lol

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
So, Jason's Xray is Mid hitting and +15 on block and does 3.75% chip damage. This can present some interesting chip out scenarios for him.

For example, 111~XRay, b12~bf3 does 10.25% chip and is a true blockstring.

Or, in the corner you can do 111~Xray, 111~bf3 for 11.5%

You can also get a guaranteed b2 (14f) after xray, so you can go into a b2~squeeze tick throw mid-screen. In the corner, you get a free 24~squeeze tick throw opportunity as well.

On top of this, with the Damned damage buff, you get additional chip damage which could lead to much more damage but I can't currently test this without a second controller (I assume around 15% total).

This is highly situational, but if it will kill, why not use it?

P.S. you can end with choke for 1.25% less chip damage if you aren't sure it will kill and want to be a little safer.

Golden Gun Fun

Zoned on a Tuesday
So, Jason's Xray is Mid hitting and +15 on block and does 3.75% chip damage. This can present some interesting chip out scenarios for him.

For example, 111~XRay, b12~bf3 does 10.25% chip and is a true blockstring.

Or, in the corner you can do 111~Xray, 111~bf3 for 11.5%

You can also get a guaranteed b2 (14f) after xray, so you can go into a b2~squeeze tick throw mid-screen. In the corner, you get a free 24~squeeze tick throw opportunity as well.

On top of this, with the Damned damage buff, you get additional chip damage which could lead to much more damage but I can't currently test this without a second controller (I assume around 15% total).

This is highly situational, but if it will kill, why not use it?

P.S. you can end with choke for 1.25% less chip damage if you aren't sure it will kill and want to be a little safer.
It is mid, but it seems it can be neutral crouched in certain scenarios. For example, reptile can neutral crouch it, but only if his back is facing you, change his stance and it hits him every time. More research needed...

EDIT: now he is neutral ducking it every time...

Last edited:

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
It is mid, but it seems it can be neutral crouched in certain scenarios. For example, reptile can neutral crouch it, but only if his back is facing you, change his stance and it hits him every time. More research needed...

EDIT: now he is neutral ducking it every time...
Wow, yeah, some characters can neutral duck it. Probably only use this on the male characters. Damn.:(

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
For anyone who is having trouble like me with crouch blocking into d1 tick grabs or d1 to check if they're hitting buttons and if it hits going into b1 tick grabs or b12(2) what seems to help me get both the tick grabs and not get air throw by accident when going from crouch blocking is to hold down forward when you want to do the tick grab off d1 and to hold down back when you want to go from crouch blocking or doing a d1 into a b1. I'm not 100% sure how consistent it is but it helps a lot for me. Also just holding down for a second and then going into b1 seems to avoid getting the air throw by accident. But a lot of the time you're switching your block stance so you don't have that luxury all the time. So just hold down forward to get your tick grabs out and down back to get your b1s to come out consistently.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
In case anyone didn't know you can break Predators armor on wakeup with b122, so abuse that shit. Not sure about Warrior Pred but the Schimatar Stab which is his universal armor wakeup has a long startup so throw out a meaty b122, hell you can even break it with f44 as well but it's not as consitent B122 even if you time too early will still break it which is nice.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Here's a little dump of my Jason stuff that I've labbed and haven't seen discussed.

I realised that I was focusing on how good Jasons B1 as a footsie tool is, and how far B122 can take you. But I didn't think of other ways to play Jason at longer ranges, just outside of B1. I know this is an unrealistic situation but, say Kitana whiffs a F2 just around half screen. Jason can whiff punish that. His grab goes further than you'd guess at first glance, especially when the opponents hurtbox extends forward when they do a move. The two hit/hurt boxes just have to merely graze for Jason to get that beautiful grab. Check it out:
DON'T WHIFF AGAINST JASON

Of course, ranges are character and move specific but if somebody whiffs a string outside of B1 range and a run cancel just won't do it or allow you to startup fast enough, then don't be affraid to use that grab to whiff punish - it's actually decent!

With discovering how good Jasons grab can be, I decided "Hey what if I use the armour to go through a projectile and just catch the opponents hurtbox as they're recovering from that!?". So I tried it. And wow, I was surprised. ANOTHER option against zoners:
DON'T THROW THINGS AT JASON

Typically I'd just use EX Teleport to armour the projectile or leave as they were throwing it so that I could appear behind them and whiff punish them or if they have a fast recovering projectile start some pressure and tick throw and just play the game I guess. At least this is another option if he's getting zoned or having a hard time punishing. With Kitana, Jason gets a free dash after every ducked fan, so from full screen he can duck a fan, dash in, then after a couple of steps Kitana has to be scared about throwing fans incase Jason does an Ex Grab or just ducks it then starts pressure or does whatever.

Unrelated to that:
Did you all know that BF3 and 2,3 allow a safe jump? BUUUUUUuuuut only if they don't tech roll, so this part is a bill and you can stop reading lol. After 2,3 you can do a run cancel jump and land right in front of Lao or Cassie and block before there wakeup. Excellent for baiting. Near the corner a raw 2,3 even when tech rolled is a safe jump, not sure why you'd use it though. Could be trying to mix it up a little since the string is an overhead and +2 on block.

Haven't see any people us this sort of stuff. Any thoughts or comments fellow Jason players?
@YOMI REO @BiPolarExxpress @Eldriken @FOREVER KING JR @WhoeverElseIDon'tKnow

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Hey guys, I dont know if this is actually good tech or just an online gimmick, but I've been doing f2 into EX teleport and having good success with it actually. If the f2 hits, the teleport's quick recovery will actually allow you to continue the combo with b122, and on block... I'm not sure if it's real plus frames, but the opponent seems to turn around super late. If they try to poke me they won't autocorrect in time and eat a b122 whiff punish. Seems like a nice little pseudo-frame trap, as once you get people to respect it and block, you can grapple the hell out of them however you please.

Messing around with brutality kombat modifier I found out you can do the Unstoppable Backbreaker brutality while in RELENTLESS...

I haven't figured out the requirements how to perform it outside kustom kombat, if anyone could help find it that would be cool..or is this a glitch???

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Messing around with brutality kombat modifier I found out you can do the Unstoppable Backbreaker brutality while in RELENTLESS...

I haven't figured out the requirements how to perform it outside kustom kombat, if anyone could help find it that would be cool..or is this a glitch???
No clue man, you'd need to keep digging! :p

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I've tried soooooo many different requirements, I can't figure it out but I know it's possible. Unless it's a glitch lol.
I thought you just needed to have red screen active while you do backbreaker? Maybe it has extra requirements for relentless though...

How do you all handle jump ins as jason? B2 seems like the obvious option but I feel like I don't connect with it very often (could be due to online/timing)

I thought you just needed to have red screen active while you do backbreaker? Maybe it has extra requirements for relentless though...
Nah that's for his normal brutality in Relentless, I'm talking about his actual backbreaker brutality from the Unstopable variation- it's in Relentless too. I've tried turning on the red thing, as well as the armor, I've tried button combinations, stance switch & block (btw I found out he can turn around after he does it too), holding directions (with or without different button inputs), nothing is working outside of kustom kombat..so far...

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Nah that's for his normal brutality in Relentless, I'm talking about his actual backbreaker brutality from the Unstopable variation- it's in Relentless too. I've tried turning on the red thing, as well as the armor, I've tried button combinations, stance switch & block (btw I found out he can turn around after he does it too), holding directions (with or without different button inputs), nothing is working outside of kustom kombat..so far...
Oh, I see. Yeah, that's just a side affect of the "No Brutality Requirements" in that mode. Sub Zero can also do his ex slide brutality in his other variations even though it's an Unbreakable only brutality.

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
Small bit of information here. With Jasons new B3,1+2 command throw against characters with a wake up ex slide, you CAN get Pursuit off, it'll come up just short. But under the exact same circumstances, ex slide will hit you during Killing Machine. The way he sticks out his leg is enough for ex slide to hit, but not pursuit.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Small bit of information here. With Jasons new B3,1+2 command throw against characters with a wake up ex slide, you CAN get Pursuit off, it'll come up just short. But under the exact same circumstances, ex slide will hit you during Killing Machine. The way he sticks out his leg is enough for ex slide to hit, but not pursuit.
That's actually fairly important. Nice find.

sonicfox has a great jason tutorial that's what i used to help familiarize myself.

my whole game with relentless is taking my opponent to the corner with a BnB and ending the combo with EXpursuit then making my oppenent guess the okizeme mostly between f3 and f44xxshoulder.

some other pointers: b12 is -2 so usually u can get a d1 in there on block. at the right range u might instead do b3 as a frame trap for a full combo. see how much you can get away with doing b3xxthrow on people. get used to his tick throws especially d1xxdbf1, don't feel bad if you can't do his b1 tick throw, he has a lot of tools besides that