What's new

Reducing LAG XBOX LIVE 360 & Suggestions

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
Hey Guys

As we all know some of the main problems in playing MK on live and any game in fact is the LAG. I was discussing to post this topic with Shock tonight so here it is in a nutshell

For people who have alot of trouble with lag who have a DECENT broadband connection and a Router please read on. If you dont have a router and your line just sucks there is no hope for you but you can read on as well:)

One Quick and easy fix is enabling DMZ in your router. Ill spare you with alot of techincal crap and just get to the point. Usually people have linksys/netgear/or smc routers MOST ALL routers have a DMZ ip setting in your router. Enabling DMZ in your router for your XBOX 360 lets all traffic through on your XBOX 360 without getting firewalled or filtered etc which CAN BE A CAUSE OF YOUR LAGGY Connection

First thing you have to do is log into your router, refer to your routers manual, if you dont have that then it can be found online by googling the model # you have. Most of your questions can be answered in this manual including how to enable DMZ

Next step is to find your LOCAL XBOX 360 IP , if you go into your xbox system tab in the XBOX live menu and if you are connected to the internet then goto EDIT SETTINGS here you can find your IP ADDRESS which you should write down with a pen or memorize ( please dont change or edit any of these settings just simply note down your ip .)

Once you find your IP and know how to move around in your router ENTER your XBOX 360 IP ADDRESS into the DMZ box of your router hit apply and enjoy possibly less lag for everyone!!!

(QUICK NOTE to you all please make sure you know what you are doing before you attempt this you can actually DMZ another machine on your network if you dont read your settings correctly. If you have questions ask people on this site or your system admin I will not be held responsable if someone screws something up im just passing on some ideas thats all :)

Also you can google anywhere about enabling DMZ for XBOX 360
 

Shock

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks so much Summoning, I think this should go in the tournament section for now, perhaps stickied. What does everyone else think?
 
I think its a good idea. Everyone doit! Sticky it somewhere too, dunno if you wanna doit here. I'm thinking match making/tournament forum would be better since its xbl related more than UMK3 related.

Yea good ideas though!
 

Tim Static

Adminerator
I dont have a PC, so my ethernet cable is dirctly into my 360/PS3/Wii (which ever one I am playing).

When I was playing Sugar, he was on the West Coast (i'm in Ohio) and he said it was like playing offline. My connection is fucking sweet. :p
 
I experience lag every once in a while. I play through a router but majority of the time it's the host of the room. Once I leave and play someone else the game is fine.
 

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
Tim Static said:
I dont have a PC, so my ethernet cable is dirctly into my 360/PS3/Wii (which ever one I am playing).

When I was playing Sugar, he was on the West Coast (i'm in Ohio) and he said it was like playing offline. My connection is fucking sweet. :p

Yes Directly plugged in from your cable modem is a suggestion as well however most of us have a network in the house but that can solve alot of lag problems for sure

Shock put the topic anywhere where people can see it may help people out
 
I have a router but I'm scared to use it because I think the shit will just lag.
Direct connection into my cable modem. :D
 

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
DatBoyMook said:
I have a router but I'm scared to use it because I think the shit will just lag.
Direct connection into my cable modem. :D
That is an excellent way for no lag:) Most people have a router but if you plug directly in from the modem that will work :)
 
I don't know about all this stuff so if anyone can PM me with some help it'd be appreciated. Apparently, the router I'm using is weird and not very good (Westell Versalink 327w). I can log in to the router but I don't see options for anything called "DMZ". I wanna do this cause I have lag with alot of people.
 

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
eyekramer said:
I don't know about all this stuff so if anyone can PM me with some help it'd be appreciated. Apparently, the router I'm using is weird and not very good (Westell Versalink 327w). I can log in to the router but I don't see options for anything called "DMZ". I wanna do this cause I have lag with alot of people.
i will look up your router info, Sounds like the verizon dsl router is that what it is ?

Ill get back to you
 

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
eyekramer said:
It's not exclusively a Verizon router. I have Bellsouth and this is the router they gave us.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13381

That should explain how to do it , remember to note down everything you do in case you have to undo it but you cant hurt anything you can always reset your router if need be to factory settings
 
lag sucks ass

i stopped playing UMK3 on XBLA because of lag.

and i have a fast connection 6mbps dn 1mbps up!

may be i need verizon fios or something!

getting hit with stuff i would block/counter all day made me feel like a big fat

NOOB and i know better than that.
 
This should be unstickied and/or modified. DMZ makes the IP you specify public, exposing it to internet (and threats). There is an easier, more secure way to do this, and it's called port forwarding.

DMZ opens ports 1-65535, or all ports. With port forwarding, you can specify which ports you want to be opened. Xbox Live only needs a few ports open to function correctly.

The ports you should open are:

UDP: 3074, 88
TCP: 3074

Forwarding these ports to your Xbox's IP address behind your router will enable full network functionality with minimal exposure.

Also, DMZ does not make things "lag less" nor does it help latency times. DMZ and opening the ports I listed only helps you to find and connect to the maximum number of games available and helps you maximize your Xbox Live experience by not running into any connection roadblocks that closed ports would cause.
 

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
StuScotsLazyEye said:
This should be unstickied and/or modified. DMZ makes the IP you specify public, exposing it to internet (and threats). There is an easier, more secure way to do this, and it's called port forwarding.

DMZ opens ports 1-65535, or all ports. With port forwarding, you can specify which ports you want to be opened. Xbox Live only needs a few ports open to function correctly.

The ports you should open are:

UDP: 3074, 88
TCP: 3074

Forwarding these ports to your Xbox's IP address behind your router will enable full network functionality with minimal exposure.

Also, DMZ does not make things "lag less" nor does it help latency times. DMZ and opening the ports I listed only helps you to find and connect to the maximum number of games available and helps you maximize your Xbox Live experience by not running into any connection roadblocks that closed ports would cause.
lets be honest to dmz your xbox 360 isnt going to mess with anything at all. Port forwarding is a great idea as well But DMZ is an easy way out right now. Most of the users in here BY default have no idea about this stuff and microsoft themselves have posts and techs saying to dmz the 360 , it may not be the best option per say but its going to cause little or no harm and is easier for the novice user. By all means we can edit the main post I can do that right now because you are in fact correct
 

Shock

Administrator
Administrator
DMZing your Xbox IP alone allows you to play against more people. Players should know that and it's easy enough to do.
 
I dont have a PC, so my ethernet cable is dirctly into my 360/PS3/Wii (which ever one I am playing).

When I was playing Sugar, he was on the West Coast (i'm in Ohio) and he said it was like playing offline. My connection is fucking sweet. :p
Same here (i live in Ohio too XD!)
 

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I dont have a PC, so my ethernet cable is dirctly into my 360/PS3/Wii (which ever one I am playing).

When I was playing Sugar, he was on the West Coast (i'm in Ohio) and he said it was like playing offline. My connection is fucking sweet. :p
ex-fucking-actly. direct connect is the only way to go. u an me gotta play soon dude, itll be the closest to cab well get lol
 
DMZing your Xbox IP alone allows you to play against more people. Players should know that and it's easy enough to do.
HI, I just posted a link in this thread a couple of posts up. Now Im wondering,If I DeMilitariZed my x360's Ip address do you think that the NAT still needs to be open?:confused:
 
If you connect directly to your cable/DSL modem, you won't run into any local NAT/PAT problems, but if your ISP blocks ports needed by Xbox Live, there's nothing you can do other than find an ISP that doesn't block them and switch to them.

The chances that an ISP will block Xbox Live ports are extremely extremely slim.