What's new

General/Other Red or Blue??? Skarlet or Kitana???

Who is higher on the tier list?

• Total voters

SLy

Noob
She hasn't placed in any top 8 yet this is definitely true. But to be honest for some reason people just don't like optimism. And its not like its Jade optimism. This character is one of the last few in the game that is still developing and growing. We haven't seen her at her best yet I personally believe. But to say shes not a top 8 character because nobody hasn't reach that point with her is not fair to the character.. don't put the character on blast put the players on blast.

Being a top character but cant make any top 8's proves this fact.. Otherwise people wouldn't say shes in top 10. Its just a matter of time and leveling up at the end of the day..

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
She hasn't placed in any top 8 yet this is definitely true. But to be honest for some reason people just don't like optimism. And its not like its Jade optimism. This character is one of the last few in the game that is still developing and growing. We haven't seen her at her best yet I personally believe. But to say shes not a top 8 character because nobody hasn't reach that point with her is not fair to the character.. don't put the character on blast put the players on blast.

Being a top character but cant make any top 8's proves this fact.. Otherwise people wouldn't say shes in top 10. Its just a matter of time and leveling up at the end of the day..
That's just the problem though – the players are all great and the character still isn't performing:

• L0rdoftheFLY has a top notch Kabal that has taken him far in tournament
  • CRAZY DOMINICAN's Kitana has been a nightmare for every tournament player
  • FCP/EMP SCAR is a tried and true Skarlet main, but his Freddy and Rain are also amazing
You know why people are playing Skarlet? To try to prove that she's this amazing unstoppable beast with great potential. Everyone wants to be the one to get credit for the Skarlet bandwagon. But you know what? With that kind of blind optimism, people refuse to discuss Skarlet's weaknesses:
  • She struggles against low hitbox characters
  • She's meter dependent
  • She's unsafe
  • Her game revolves around respect and guesses rather than guaranteed pressure
Mention any of these things to the Skarlet community and you get pages upon pages of "yeah but no one will ever punish that." Oh really? Did we not just see CDjr do Kung Lao's just-frame spin out of Kabal's NDC pressure?
Or you get player downplaying "I just need more time with her," or "I really need to level up." The players want to see Skarlet do well so badly that they're not giving themselves any credit. It's crazy.

Reactions: SLy

SLy

Noob
That's just the problem though – the players are all great and the character still isn't performing:

• L0rdoftheFLY has a top notch Kabal that has taken him far in tournament
  • CRAZY DOMINICAN's Kitana has been a nightmare for every tournament player
  • FCP/EMP SCAR is a tried and true Skarlet main, but his Freddy and Rain are also amazing
You know why people are playing Skarlet? To try to prove that she's this amazing unstoppable beast with great potential. Everyone wants to be the one to get credit for the Skarlet bandwagon. But you know what? With that kind of blind optimism, people refuse to discuss Skarlet's weaknesses:

• She struggles against low hitbox characters
  • She's meter dependent
  • She's unsafe
  • Her game revolves around respect and guesses rather than guaranteed pressure
Mention any of these things to the Skarlet community and you get pages upon pages of "yeah but no one will ever punish that." Oh really? Did we not just see CDjr do Kung Lao's just-frame spin out of Kabal's NDC pressure?

Or you get player downplaying "I just need more time with her," or "I really need to level up." The players want to see Skarlet do well so badly that they're not giving themselves any credit. It's crazy.
Also true..I can respect that answer

There's always that possibility.
Noone thought Kenshi was this much of a threat until Pig of the Hut picked him up.

I agree with Scar that he hasnt been able to travel as much.
I am also excited to see Eddy Wang's Skarlet if he comes to EVO>

Guys please explain to me on what does "using skarlet to her full potential" mean? Because as far as i see it we have already broken that mold, i have yet to see a kitana user win a major, but have consistently broken top 8, are we to say they havent reached their full potential with their character as well?, i think we have come full circle with skarlets potential, the tech n strats are there, some suitable for playstyles others maybe not so much, lordofthefly i agree with u in some mu's a defensive skarlet is the best way to go, because an offensive one tends to get wild,and wreckless if they become to pressure crazy. At the end of the day, it falls on how well that skarlet user plays that day , u can have all her tech down pact n still make mistakes and wind up losing, ur gonna have to play damn near flawless to take a major, and lbsh thats pretty hard to do with such a risky character.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
There's always that possibility.
Noone thought Kenshi was this much of a threat until Pig of the Hut picked him up.

I agree with Scar that he hasnt been able to travel as much.
I am also excited to see Eddy Wang's Skarlet if he comes to EVO>
Keep in mind that was before frame data came out.

Guys please explain to me on what does "using skarlet to her full potential" mean? Because as far as i see it we have already broken that mold, i have yet to see a kitana user win a major, but have consistently broken top 8, are we to say they havent reached their full potential with their character as well?, i think we have come full circle with skarlets potential, the tech n strats are there, some suitable for playstyles others maybe not so much, lordofthefly i agree with u in some mu's a defensive skarlet is the best way to go, because an offensive one tends to get wild,and wreckless if they become to pressure crazy. At the end of the day, it falls on how well that skarlet user plays that day , u can have all her tech down pact n still make mistakes and wind up losing, ur gonna have to play damn near flawless to take a major, and lbsh thats pretty hard to do with such a risky character.
We have pretty much seen what she can do already, skarlet just needs a good player that happens te be able to make the good reads in tournament. the execution with the blockstrings air daggers and combos could be better in tournament, but I wonder if that is really possible, maybe its just too hard to get it 90% of the time?

ryublaze

Noob
Consistent iaD, on point dagger cancels, and never dropping a combo.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
until i start seeing someone beasting in tournaments with skarlet im gonna pick kitana. Everyone talks about this "untapped potential" and what not, but no ones backed it up. CD was close, but missing top 8 appearances hurt this characters placing on the list imo

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
What other Kabal player gets top 8 as often or wins as often? no one. At the end of the day If a skarlet player can be as effective with their execution, they will have similar results. I'm trying to get to this point...but I continue to fall short.

Frame date shows what her potential is with frame traps off of eh dagger. Her advantage is similar to cages (more advantage but slower normals)...but when your a few frames too slow you get punished or poked out and wasted a bar. It is also as much about reads as it is about execution. The reads is almost as much as a crutch for her as execution is it seems. The top players are the top players no matter which character they use. I wish I could call myself a top player, but by my resume I cant. This is why I dont do well in tournaments. I beat pig in casuals sometimes but I always play him...that doesnt mean much as we know each others play styles.

At the end of the day...I feel as if her potential is unlimited...but its her players potential that is limited. If you guess right and have luck on your side you could take a tournament easily with her. if you make poor reads you can get blown up easily.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
What other Kabal player gets top 8 as often or wins as often? no one. At the end of the day If a skarlet player can be as effective with their execution, they will have similar results. I'm trying to get to this point...but I continue to fall short.

Frame date shows what her potential is with frame traps off of eh dagger. Her advantage is similar to cages (more advantage but slower normals)...but when your a few frames too slow you get punished or poked out and wasted a bar. It is also as much about reads as it is about execution. The reads is almost as much as a crutch for her as execution is it seems. The top players are the top players no matter which character they use. I wish I could call myself a top player, but by my resume I cant. This is why I dont do well in tournaments. I beat pig in casuals sometimes but I always play him...that doesnt mean much as we know each others play styles.

At the end of the day...I feel as if her potential is unlimited...but its her players potential that is limited. If you guess right and have luck on your side you could take a tournament easily with her. if you make poor reads you can get blown up easily.
I agree. Now someone just needs to do it and she'll bump up on the tier list.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
So through a text conversation with Mr. Mileena, I came to discover that he thinks Skarlet is better than Kitana. This is significant as I feel that Joe is one of the smartest MK players around. He is also considered amongst the top players with all three of his characters, jade, Kitana and sindel. He also has been arguing this with me since last summer and he finally changed his tune.

Now I know kit players are infamous for downplaying, and Skarlet players are thought to up-play, but now it's time to get the general consensus.
I think Kitana and Skarlet are pretty equal overall - they both have advantages and disadvantages. Skarlet recovers faster from an iaBD and has screen-advancing super armor. Kitana has annoyingly effective not-really-breaker-worthy full screen anti-air combos. They share effective rush-down, and are both good at getting out of it via meter with EX Square Boost and Red Dash.

Skarlet is far more difficult to learn, whereas Kitana is pretty straight-forward, relatively speaking. Both require excellent spacing, and both deal a lot of damage. I think this matchup really comes down to the player skill.

One of Skarlet's biggest weaknesses is that if the player fucks up an iaBD, they're eating a full screen combo from Kitana. The upside of winning the trade is only 4% damage and some meter, but they get some too.

This is what this matchup does to me - I just ramble on back and forth. Both characters are really strong. I think Skarlet is stronger, but it could go either way.

FCP/EMP SCAR, you have played me thousands of times at this point to not even need to go into discussions like this when it comes to debating which character is better and all of that crap. After using Skarlet myself the past few weeks the only thing going against her is her "execution" barrier. Outside of that *wink wink* she's a big problem for people that don't know how to fight her. Even if you do it's a hellish fight. They have vast differences and both are effective in their own ways but in the end it's all the same.