What's new

Red Hood's 3,2,3 Oki Is Dead – Edge Intensifies

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Well if I'm reading correctly because my head currently hurts a little...

1.) I'd probably expect that no one knew what was going on. Like look at the other characters throughout this games' life and how they fucked them. Like someone had to literally go like "Yeah, Grodd's stampede cancels are no longer plus like we wanted them to be" or "Yeah, Deadshot's nerfs make him a balanced character"
CW's actually probably an example of the opposite, they nerfed her pretty well imo.

2.) Maybe NRS is just trying to become more consistent, at least for within IJ2? Like, characters randomly getting HDK's and randomly not getting them is preetttyyy inconsistent where it probably shouldn't be. The changes made sense and there was a reason for them being done.
1) Q/As always have an idea what's going on in the game before everybody else. The fact of the matter is while they nerfed CW well, they didn't do it how literally everybody was asking her to be nerfed. Like why make her b3 like 2 frames slower when it still does the same BS thing people just didn't like about her? Why not just change it? They have proven that they are more than capable of changing animations, adding moves, changing hit reactions etc. There is a lot more bias than you think on balance. Hell, NRS literally said they wanted to see more Firestorm players which is why they even gave him all his buffs.

2) Considering how whack-a-mole MKX balance was, I don't believe it. Because the thing is, NRS learns from their past mistakes in some ways but then don't seem to in other ways. Not EVERY change has a legit (or even excusable) reason behind it; some changes just HAPPEN. It wasn't a bug, just an excuse to change something for the sake of changing it; the problem is their approach, communication and delivery.

Crusty

They only have so much time they can spend fixing bugs and there's practical reasons that go into it. Maybe they didn't prioritize it over other issues or something like DLC testing, maybe they weren't fully aware of the bug, maybe they wanted to fix it but didn't know how, etc. It's not a conspiracy, if it was working as intended then they never would have changed it.

Game development is very complex and they have to pick and choose where their resources go into.

This is what you get for all this secret discord tech :DOGE
I never used discord for secrecy.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
1) Q/As always have an idea what's going on in the game before everybody else. The fact of the matter is while they nerfed CW well, they didn't do it how literally everybody was asking her to be nerfed. Like why make her b3 like 2 frames slower when it still does the same BS thing people just didn't like about her? Why not just change it? They have proven that they are more than capable of changing animations, adding moves, changing hit reactions etc. There is a lot more bias than you think on balance. Hell, NRS literally said they wanted to see more Firestorm players which is why they even gave him all his buffs.

2) Considering how whack-a-mole MKX balance was, I don't believe it. Because the thing is, NRS learns from their past mistakes in some ways but then don't seem to in other ways. Not EVERY change has a legit (or even excusable) reason behind it; some changes just HAPPEN. It wasn't a bug, just an excuse to change something for the sake of changing it; the problem is their approach, communication and delivery.
There's examples even in IJ2 where they don't know what they're doing. Deadshot is a prime example. If they had bias towards Deadshot and that's why they didn't nerf him then that was a completely trash business decision cause I'll bet bottom dollar that a good chunk of people dropped IJ2 because it took 6 months to nerf a casual and comp stomp character. There's bias for sure, which is good, bias is sometimes good, but there's a limit for the sake of the business. But there's bad bias which negatively impact NRS, or any 'design' job, as a whole, and that's bad. You can't be affording to be biased too much if you want to continue making money.

For the second point, I think random changes are good to shake up the meta a little bit, but I kind of doubt they purposely lied about a bug being in the game so that they could just change some HKD strings. Bit of a poor business decision imo.

TLDR; what @Marinjuana said + likely that NRS design just made a bad decision, which happens. Grodd/Deadshot prime examples.

Also CW's nerfs are an example of NRS design knowing what they're doing and not listening to whatever TYM says. A raw B3 nerf, even if they completely destroyed it, would've barely touched her tier position. She's still hit for like 400 meterlessly into oki meterlessly which was her actual problem. B3 is part of how her kit works; slippery character with strong fundamentals.

Crusty

There's examples even in IJ2 where they don't know what they're doing. Deadshot is a prime example. If they had bias towards Deadshot and that's why they didn't nerf him then that was a completely trash business decision cause I'll bet bottom dollar that a good chunk of people dropped IJ2 because it took 6 months to nerf a casual and comp stomp character. There's bias for sure, which is good, bias is sometimes good, but there's a limit for the sake of the business. But there's bad bias which negatively impact NRS, or any 'design' job, as a whole, and that's bad. You can't be affording to be biased too much if you want to continue making money.

For the second point, I think random changes are good to shake up the meta a little bit, but I kind of doubt they purposely lied about a bug being in the game so that they could just change some HKD strings. Bit of a poor business decision imo.

TLDR; what @Marinjuana said + likely that NRS design just made a bad decision, which happens. Grodd/Deadshot prime examples.

Also CW's nerfs are an example of NRS design knowing what they're doing and not listening to whatever TYM says. A raw B3 nerf, even if they completely destroyed it, would've barely touched her tier position. She's still hit for like 400 meterlessly into oki meterlessly which was her actual problem. B3 is part of how her kit works; slippery character with strong fundamentals.
They nerfed Deadshot as bad as they did because it was evident given the treatment he received, they didn't want him topping events anymore. NRS bad decision not to touch him then resulted in people losing interest in the game. By the time they did change him, another bad decision because 1) the damage was already done 2) his design was bad as is.

NRS likes to dismiss big things that influence the game as bugs all the time, it was this way since forever. At the end of the day, the change happened. A change where, not matter how you bother constructing an argument for, didn't need to happen and doesn't have a good excuse to justify it at all. It was a random decision that didn't have a good reason or purpose within the realm of how the game works.

I respectfully disagree on the CW bit but I won't entertain that topic here.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
They nerfed Deadshot as bad as they did because it was evident given the treatment he received, they didn't want him topping events anymore. NRS bad decision not to touch him then resulted in people losing interest in the game. By the time they did change him, another bad decision because 1) the damage was already done 2) his design was bad as is.

NRS likes to dismiss big things that influence the game as bugs all the time, it was this way since forever. At the end of the day, the change happened. A change where, not matter how you bother constructing an argument for, didn't need to happen and doesn't have a good excuse to justify it at all. It was a random decision that didn't have a good reason or purpose within the realm of how the game works.

I respectfully disagree on the CW bit but I won't entertain that topic here.
But it probably was just a bug likely and they should've given RH always a HKD rather than this.

Crusty

But it probably was just a bug likely and they should've given RH always a HKD rather than this.
He has a HKD. Problem is that it is pretty shitty in comparison to 3,2,3. It's only +11 on hit and can't be used in combos.