What's new

Red Hood Matchup Discussion

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Its true certain normals catch red hood out of his backwards lunge wake up. I still dont know whats up with it. its like he doesnt have a legit wake up midscreen or in the corner
Just back lunge and spend the bar, you can still be hit in the corner sometimes but it's safer and way more effective to use the bar
Sigh...

Red Hood’s Fatal Drop is one of the best wakeups in the game once used correctly. The obvious bad recovery and easily stuffable nature aside, it’s not as bad of a wakeup midscreen (with or without meter) as people are inclined to think. Sure, if you’re being obvious with it you’re gonna get destroyed. Also, the recovery is irrelevant since 1) he’s airborne so he can’t be properly punished by some characters 2) even if he does go far away the most he’s eating is a projectile and that’s if the opponent has one. Even if they do have one he doesn’t stand all the way back up so some projectiles miss him as he recovers.

No wakeup game is foolproof, and in a game with various universal wakeup options, once you learn to wakeup less, you can get away with it much more consistently if you do decide to wakeup.

I don’t wakeup that often, mainly because I played characters with shit wakeups before so I use it to my advantage if they’re expecting it but I don’t deliver.

GJX7

Your Mediocrity Is Killing Me
Red Hood’s Fatal Drop is one of the best wakeups in the game once used correctly. The obvious bad recovery and easily stuffable nature aside, it’s not as bad of a wakeup midscreen (with or without meter) as people are inclined to think.
Its a fine wakeup midsceen, but the real problem lies when you're in the corner and dealing with The Flash, for example.

That's why I think many pressure characters give him a hard time as his only wakeup in the corner is useless meterless, but you will get poked out of it before even having the chance to meter burn it. It's barely invincible; extremely slow on recovery; easily punishable; and ridiculously unsafe to throw out.

VTEC

Noob
Darkseid can run away from you freely and zone you out and you can st punished for trying to dive in. Red hood doesn't have the fastest d2 either so you have to be on point to punish all his teleports, not to mention he's just a dumb character no one should have a fast air low that can be instant air and his j3 hitbox is stupid and he has a grounded overhead. It's a lot of shit. If anyone knows how red hood should fight him feel free to educate me but darkseid is broken
Darksied will always runaway all you have to do is chase him smartly down and while throwing mines and stars. What I utilize the most in Darksied mu is b13. If he jumps and teleports behind, jus walk back and when he lands b13. Throw far mine out + ninja star so he either wake up with laser and a good trade off will happen. Or you duck the laser and on recovery lunge fwd mb and follow up with whatever. Up close his wake up option would be the knee jus parry if u notice darksied abusing it. On ground teleport either fwd lunge or jus jump back and do the air gun shot mb

VTEC

Noob
Its a fine wakeup midsceen, but the real problem lies when you're in the corner and dealing with The Flash, for example.

That's why I think many pressure characters give him a hard time as his only wakeup in the corner is useless meterless, but you will get poked out of it before even having the chance to meter burn it. It's barely invincible; extremely slow on recovery; easily punishable; and ridiculously unsafe to throw out.
I welcome the flash corner pressure. Utilize your parry. That flash d12 into over headslam, the over head slam can be parried and mb it to push him back. If your always using fwd lunge mb and they expect you to use it in the corner go back lunge mb or just push block

Crusty

That’s fine and all but in all seriousness, we’re playing a character who fucks up wakeups himself, almost every wakeup in the game mind you.

Nobody should be waking up in the corner as much, as it is much riskier anyway.

Crusty

So I know this sounds like a nuance.

But after labbing the captain cold mu last night. If there ever comes in instance where Cold tries to abuse his low hitting d1 by for example: doing d1 into d1. Block the first d1 then go for raw 4332

The reason this works because after blocking the first d1, doing 4 3 moves Red Hood back enough to make the second d1 whiff, hell even Cold's d3 whiffs because Red Hood's leg moves when he does 4 332.

I know the mu is in Jason Todd's favor but since our d1 is useless in that mu. The instance where cold gets in is most mind-numbing thing I've experienced so I was labbing ways to deal with it. I dunno if this works cornered but midscreen there is an option.

Neeko

Noob
So I know this sounds like a nuance.

But after labbing the captain cold mu last night. If there ever comes in instance where Cold tries to abuse his low hitting d1 by for example: doing d1 into d1. Block the first d1 then go for raw 4332

The reason this works because after blocking the first d1, doing 4 3 moves Red Hood back enough to make the second d1 whiff, hell even Cold's d3 whiffs because Red Hood's leg moves when he does 4 332.

I know the mu is in Jason Todd's favor but since our d1 is useless in that mu. The instance where cold gets in is most mind-numbing thing I've experienced so I was labbing ways to deal with it. I dunno if this works cornered but midscreen there is an option.
I actually really appreciate this. I played a cc the other night that was spamming d1 and f23 constantly and my d1 was just useless(a big flaw not a lot of ppl bring up is d1s ridiculously stubby hitbox) this should help somewhat. And thanks for the invite.

Crusty

I actually really appreciate this. I played a cc the other night that was spamming d1 and f23 constantly and my d1 was just useless(a big flaw not a lot of ppl bring up is d1s ridiculously stubby hitbox) this should help somewhat. And thanks for the invite.
Yeah, it’s kinda my fault for not bringing it to light but Red Hood’s d1 is USELESS against certain characters.

That’s my #1 definite change because nothing beats the benefit of a proper d1 that you can use against everybody.

You know your d1 is bad against certain characters when you have to create scenarios to work around it like I said above.

Neeko

Noob
Yeah, it’s kinda my fault for not bringing it to light but Red Hood’s d1 is USELESS against certain characters.

That’s my #1 definite change because nothing beats the benefit of a proper d1 that you can use against everybody.

You know your d1 is bad against certain characters when you have to create scenarios to work around it like I said above.
I completely agree. The usefulness of a good D1 is downplayed and hoods is pretty garbage besides being 6 frames.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Can anybody provide like concrete strategy for the Atro matchup? I'm trying to pick up Hood and I've had the most trouble with this matchup, it feels like you can't throw anything fullscreen because you lose every trade and it feels really easy for Atro to just turtle until he's got trait and all you can do is hopefully guess right or occasionally pushblock to stop the pressure.

Crusty

Can anybody provide like concrete strategy for the Atro matchup? I'm trying to pick up Hood and I've had the most trouble with this matchup, it feels like you can't throw anything fullscreen because you lose every trade and it feels really easy for Atro to just turtle until he's got trait and all you can do is hopefully guess right or occasionally pushblock to stop the pressure.
The only check Atrocitus has on RH is -40 puddle fullscreen. Punish any puddle attempts with MB far lunge and get to a point in the mu where he starts to expect it by throwing a mine after a blocked puddle. Stay away and build some bar by zoning for pushblock should he do get trait out.

Atrocitus' wakeup game is weak so he's more more susceptible to being bullied on knockdown which is what you want should you manage to get your game going up close. Atrocitus cannot punish the overhead trait ender so make sure your staggers and pressure are on point because it builds bar more quicker.

tl;dr - build some meter by zoning or pressure, make sure you punish any puddle attempt with far mb lunge and throw a mine when he starts expecting it to make him lose ground. Pushblock is your friend in this mu.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
The only check Atrocitus has on RH is -40 puddle fullscreen. Punish any puddle attempts with MB far lunge and get to a point in the mu where he starts to expect it by throwing a mine after a blocked puddle. Stay away and build some bar by zoning for pushblock should he do get trait out.

Atrocitus' wakeup game is weak so he's more more susceptible to being bullied on knockdown which is what you want should you manage to get your game going up close. Atrocitus cannot punish the overhead trait ender so make sure your staggers and pressure are on point because it builds bar more quicker.

tl;dr - build some meter by zoning or pressure, make sure you punish any puddle attempt with far mb lunge and throw a mine when he starts expecting it to make him lose ground. Pushblock is your friend in this mu.
Thanks! I'll try to bear all that in mind.

GJX7

On a level who does Hood actually lose to? Is it only Catwoman and Fate?

Crusty

On a level who does Hood actually lose to? Is it only Catwoman and Fate?
CW definitely. The thing is with all the characters getting massive buffs coupled with these new characters, its alot to break down mus atm.

GJX7

Ha
CW definitely. The thing is with all the characters getting massive buffs coupled with these new characters, its alot to break down mus atm.
Haven't played Hood in ages but I was thinking about picking him back up to deal with my tougher Scarecrow MUs, so I really just need to know who he's loses to

Crusty

Ha

Haven't played Hood in ages but I was thinking about picking him back up to deal with my tougher Scarecrow MUs, so I really just need to know who he's loses to
Understandable. Red Hood is top 10 atm and loses to very few characters as far as I'm concerned atm. The thing about RH is that you (as a RH player) have to do more hw on a mu than the opponent most of the time regardless of the mu. That's not to say other characters don't, its the RH is very technical and takes alot to get good with.

GJX7

Understandable. Red Hood is top 10 atm and loses to very few characters as far as I'm concerned atm. The thing about RH is that you (as a RH player) have to do more hw on a mu than the opponent most of the time regardless of the mu. That's not to say other characters don't, its the RH is very technical and takes alot to get good with.
I've played Red Hood for more hours than any other char but I'd only really have to learn a few MUs

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
I think any character that can full combo punish the OH trait ender does really well against Hood, so Adam, Supes, Supergirl (that's all that I know of).
Since it really forces you to re-think your trait usage

Crusty

I think any character that can full combo punish the OH trait ender does really well against Hood, so Adam, Supes, Supergirl (that's all that I know of).
Since it really forces you to re-think your trait usage
Neither superman nor supergirl can punish the overhead unless I’m cornered iirc