What's new

Red Hood Matchup Discussion

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
How do you feel about the Supergirl MU, and do you have any pointers or helpful tips. I've only played one decent Supergirl and while I never felt completely out of the fight it also never felt like I was at an advantage (That could just be a player skill thing though)
I have a set with Kandarr's Supergirl in the Red Hood match footage thread that should help. I think it's about even if not it's slightly in Supergirl's favor. Just gotta play the neutral out, play smart, react to teleport.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
its nice to play a good character for once. id love to see why sonic thinks Red Hood beats Aquaman tho because i dont, he might lose to superman too but so far everything else seems fine or definitely winnable

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
its nice to play a good character for once. id love to see why sonic thinks Red Hood beats Aquaman tho because i dont, he might lose to superman too but so far everything else seems fine or definitely winnable
Have you been watching his sets?
It should give you a general idea of how to beat him. He was beating one of the other aquaman mains for a good long set.

Fred Marvel

Have you been watching his sets?
It should give you a general idea of how to beat him. He was beating one of the other aquaman mains for a good long set.
thats because he's a better player. he was outplaying dragon in the matches i saw him win but i didnt see anything about the character that suggests an advantage. just because he wins doesnt mean the character does, sonic beat batman with joker lol

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
thats because he's a better player. he was outplaying dragon in the matches i saw him win but i didnt see anything about the character that suggests an advantage. just because he wins doesnt mean the character does, sonic beat batman with joker lol
I really get a huge kick out of people saying it's just sonic fox. Maybe play your character to his strengths the way he did. Instead of writing it off on the character.
Not to be rude, but that's that weak ass mind set people tend to use.
A lot of fighting game players, especially the more old school ones have said you're beating the player more than you'rebeating the character.

Redk9

Noob
I really get a huge kick out of people saying it's just sonic fox. Maybe play your character to his strengths the way he did. Instead of writing it off on the character.
Not to be rude, but that's that weak ass mind set people tend to use.
A lot of fighting game players, especially the more old school ones have said you're beating the player more than you'rebeating the character.
It's not a weak ass mindset. Sonic Foxx uses character's who are ass and still wins because the gap between him and other players tends to be rather large. When discussing how strong a character is it's assumed that player skill is equal or relatively equal. Otherwise me beating an online random with swamp thing is justification to say "get good" to other swamp thing players.

I'm still learning redhood myself and i rarely post on here because people just flame people for their opinion. But i think RH beats aquaman because he can control the pace of the match better with mines. If aquaman throws out FTD you have enough time to throw out a mine before he can do another FTD and maybe the trident projectile. So aquaman is either forced to block and take the +frames from the mine or backdash or forward dash or jump. When i play aquaman i usually toss a mine then immediately throw gotham stars to catch him dashing out the way of the mine. If they dont want to dash the next option is to jump which you can catch them with the AA gotham stars. If they want to sit there and take the mine on block you can dash up and get air guns for a HTB depending on distance from him. Just my opinion please don't flame me. Thanks.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
I'm still learning redhood myself and i rarely post on here because people just flame people for their opinion. But i think RH beats aquaman because he can control the pace of the match better with mines. If aquaman throws out FTD you have enough time to throw out a mine before he can do another FTD and maybe the trident projectile. So aquaman is either forced to block and take the +frames from the mine or backdash or forward dash or jump. When i play aquaman i usually toss a mine then immediately throw gotham stars to catch him dashing out the way of the mine. If they dont want to dash the next option is to jump which you can catch them with the AA gotham stars. If they want to sit there and take the mine on block you can dash up and get air guns for a HTB depending on distance from him. Just my opinion please don't flame me. Thanks.
Here are some tidbits in the mu that might shed some light why its 5-5 (or possibly 6-4 Hood). Credit @CrazyFingers

Cannot trait out of B2 xx MB Close Mine
String gaps can be Parried/D1’d/S1’d/MB B3’d
Reversal MB DF3 checks FTD from anywhere and punishes it from certain ranges.
Trait shot checks FTD.
Reversal Parry helps against B123 pressure.
Free Land Mine after a blocked FTD.
Trait shot whiff punishes Trident Toss.
Backdashing after MB Trident Rush is a solid option.
B2 will check every option after a blocked MB Trident Rush.
Can’t punish Overhead trait option.
J3 stuff all wakeups.
MB F3 will not be broken by wakeup Trident Rush.

CrazyFingers

Here are some tidbits in the mu that might shed some light why its 5-5 (or possibly 6-4 Hood). Credit @CrazyFingers

Cannot trait out of B2 xx MB Close Mine
String gaps can be Parried/D1’d/S1’d/MB B3’d
Reversal MB DF3 checks FTD from anywhere and punishes it from certain ranges.
Trait shot checks FTD.
Reversal Parry helps against B123 pressure.
Free Land Mine after a blocked FTD.
Trait shot whiff punishes Trident Toss.
Backdashing after MB Trident Rush is a solid option.
B2 will check every option after a blocked MB Trident Rush.
Can’t punish Overhead trait option.
J3 stuff all wakeups.
MB F3 will not be broken by wakeup Trident Rush.
This on top of us being able to compete with him basically everywhere is why it's AT LEAST a 5-5

Fred Marvel

imo he has trouble with darkseid, superman, aquaman and catwoman (possibly deadshot but i havent played that enough) thats it from what ive played. none of them hard body him though

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Actually agree with you out of the top tier I have the least trouble with Aquaman as Hood, Superman is the big problem matchup IMO.

Who are some of the 'pros' aside from sonic that play hood? Trying to watch some new people

Fred Marvel

Who are some of the 'pros' aside from sonic that play hood? Trying to watch some new people
i havent seen any other real high level red hood besides him. ive seen theo play hood but it wasnt optimized at all. sonic is the only pro that plans to main him i think others have just toyed with him or dont use him

So a couple of days ago I was playing my little brother who mains A high level Batman and Robin. I Main Red Hood since day 1, and since then I would destroy him, or he would sometimes get a critical victory. I joked with him into playing with Aquaman and til this day I can barely win a match against the kid. As I can see in this forum I'm not the only one having a hard time with facing against a Good Aquaman player. A part of me is relieved now, and the other part of me is pissed that lethal lounge is useless against tentacle strike half of the time it misses and I still get hit.

Any tips vs. Deadshot? It's a 10-0 matchup with me holding the controller.

_>_> Better to block deadshot guns than duck? It doesn't say the recovery, but it's ridcoulusly fast for a move that builds meter and controls so much screen, but doesn't grant any for blocking it.
Free walk, you can get good mileage of walking after a db3 which is -5.
Also keep in mind that you have add the start up of his next special.
Walk after
bf1 -9
bf1 mb <- -16
df2 -20/-15, -18,/-15,-18/-15
db2 -13

Don't contest
db2 mb -3
bf1 mb -> -1

_>_> Side note: How did we get nerfed? In a perfect world trait gun would move us forward and lung would go over HIGH projectiles or the mb shots would come out instantly so you didn't have to pay are bar to trade, get knocked down and go back to where you started, but instead we get nerfed like we needed it...

CrazyFingers

Any tips vs. Deadshot? It's a 10-0 matchup with me holding the controller.

_>_> Better to block deadshot guns than duck? It doesn't say the recovery, but it's ridcoulusly fast for a move that builds meter and controls so much screen, but doesn't grant any for blocking it.
Free walk, you can get good mileage of walking after a db3 which is -5.
Also keep in mind that you have add the start up of his next special.
Walk after
bf1 -9
bf1 mb <- -16
df2 -20/-15, -18,/-15,-18/-15
db2 -13

Don't contest
db2 mb -3
bf1 mb -> -1

_>_> Side note: How did we get nerfed? In a perfect world trait gun would move us forward and lung would go over HIGH projectiles or the mb shots would come out instantly so you didn't have to pay are bar to trade, get knocked down and go back to where you started, but instead we get nerfed like we needed it...
Play patient, learn where you can put your Mb rolls (we build meter quickly up close so we can afford to MB roll) and when you get in make everything count. Make sure your pressure is on point. You have to have to HAVE to keep the pressure up.

VTEC

Noob
Play patient, learn where you can put your Mb rolls (we build meter quickly up close so we can afford to MB roll) and when you get in make everything count. Make sure your pressure is on point. You have to have to HAVE to keep the pressure up.
Agreed!
Deadshot - I start the match with b13 most cases it punishes the low/over head string. For the zone game I will walk down and duck constantly. If you read the low mb rifle shot jump and mb air gun shots. You want deadshot to be in the corner and do constant mine and ninja stars and up ninja stars on jump reads. He usually punishes RH j1 so don't try to air to air him. I don't ever mb roll in because i need the mb to do dmg when I get the chance. Importantly use parry! They always abuse the d1 into low/overhead string so low parry on read and parry on wake up. U should also know the string to block and after the string they will follow up with a gun shot which can be punish with a fwd lunge mb. If he rushes u down after gun shots use b13 to push him bak on read. Again u have to play a good deadshot to condition u for this mu if ur havin hard time

redhood like a top 5 zoner , great anti-zoning, great pressure, amazingfootsies, good setups. mobility. probably the best character in the game RN. i think deadshot may be his only counter. Mine is still a Work in progess i purchased him less then a week ago, for me it's input execution. but the tools are there.

Characters like aquaman and supes he can either find ways to punish them mb df3/dfc. jump with air guns and punish, or counter-zone with mines. if you corner aquaman you can force him to come to you by mining after a block trident. Both characters are heavily exploitable on knockdown is well.

if character like batman is trying to outzone you, i actually found mb db3 as way to counter that at full screen, in conjuction with trait gun and gaining oning adv. with stars.

Overall i think the combination mines, his mobility specials, footsie and his projectile game allow him to control a lot in most matchups. When i zone with him which is my strength a lot of my play revolves around the mines, mixing them up in spacing and/or repeatedly throw them once the block them. i use his projectiles and the dives to control forward movement, plus he has nasty whiff punishment.

I hope when people are zoning with with him they are using less of repeated star throwing only when to force respect out of the opponent or outrade, and more revolving everything around the mines and their frame advantage and forward space control. his other moves are meant to punish the mine "mindgame."

redhood like a top 5 zoner , great anti-zoning, great pressure, amazingfootsies, good setups. mobility. probably the best character in the game RN. i think deadshot may be his only counter. Mine is still a Work in progess i purchased him less then a week ago, for me it's input execution. but the tools are there.

Characters like aquaman and supes he can either find ways to punish them mb df3/dfc. jump with air guns and punish, or counter-zone with mines. if you corner aquaman you can force him to come to you by mining after a block trident. Both characters are heavily exploitable on knockdown is well.

if character like batman is trying to outzone you, i actually found mb db3 as way to counter that at full screen, in conjuction with trait gun and gaining oning adv. with stars.

Overall i think the combination mines, his mobility specials, footsie and his projectile game allow him to control a lot in most matchups. When i zone with him which is my strength a lot of my play revolves around the mines, mixing them up in spacing and/or repeatedly throw them once the block them. i use his projectiles and the dives to control forward movement, plus he has nasty whiff punishment.

I hope when people are zoning with with him they are using less of repeated star throwing only when to force respect out of the opponent or outrade, and more revolving everything around the mines and their frame advantage and forward space control. his other moves are meant to punish the mine "mindgame."
Once you get comfortable with hood, post some of your casuals.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
As a Batman main, I also struggle vs Red Hood in the zoning war. MB Backwards dive wins the trade big time, and you build bar so quickly with land mines and ninja stars.

With all that meter, you also get lots of opportunities to push block Batman. With the damage and pressure nerfs, my early impression is that Batman loses this MU.