What's new

recommend me a hitbox? PS4

So I'm moving from my toe dip into SC back into MK11, and by lord do I not like this game on a pad. I barely liked SC on one but this? No, Sticks can fuck off.

I want a good hitbox, and I've no experience with one before. I don't need anything fancy, just something that works and is responsive. tactile feedback is a plus.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
Ahhhh my friend. Have I got some options for you. Lmfao my specialty. So obviously you have: The Hitbox. The one found on hitboxarcade.com

This is a no frills box that's light weight but constructed well. All the extra buttons are on the back making it perfect for showing off artwork if you ever get a custom job done. It lacks your R3 and L3 that most modern sticks come with and has no touchpad connectivity so it's... Very bare bones. That being said it's still an amazing box and I'm glad I have it in my collection. Personally Seimitsus are the best buttons for it, they give it a satisfying report with each snappy input and response time is phenomenal.

Then if you head over to Arcadeshock.com you have the Obsidian Hitbox

This is the opposite of the last box. This is literally a Qanba Obsidian Arcade Stick with the stick ripped out and the box modded for Hitbox layout. It's got fancy glowing LEDs on the side that have either On analog input, On button input, or Always On modes so it will flash if you push any buttons or it'll just glow all the time. This one also features turbo functionality, R3, L3, and touchpad. This is my go-to box and what I am on 90% of the time and the best part about it, is that it isn't even that much more expensive than the regular Hitbox. AND if you go through their Colors lab you can get them to install the buttons you want on it pre-shipment. The box is a little too thick to use Seimitsu snap-ins, but if you're a Sanwa guy you're good to go. Mine personally has Seimitsu screw-ons (With one Sanwa snap on the up button since there's a problem on the interior and not enough space for a Seitmisu screw-on 30mm).

Both use 24mm for their 11 normal buttons, a fat 30mm for the up input. Both are comfortable, buuuuut... I mean it's an obsidian. It's formfactor is an absolute joy to have in your lap it feels weighty and solid.

Other things to note the normal Hitbox comes with a very long braided USB cable where the Obsidian comes with a much shorter normal cable. That being said the Obsidian has a cable holder built into it that's firm and tight and feels just as premium quality as the rest of the box, while the normal Hitbox has a rubber thingie that you use to tie the cable up after you roll it up like a hose. Eh. Minor details.

Either box will last you your entire life bar you throwing it on the ground like a ninny, and obviously there are lesser known custom shops all over the internet that might be able to get you one for a cheaper pricepoint but... I swear by both of these options and I've had my original Hitbox for two years now and bar me stupidly breaking some Sanwas while trying to change them out it's been flawless.

Oh the regular Hitbox is a lot easier to get into and mod. The rubber feet on the back that act as it's anti slip are actually the screws to open it! So regular Hitbox wins out on modification convenience as well.

EDIT: OH and I forgot, the Obsidian allows you to change the directional inputs from D-Pad, to Left Analogue, to Right Analogue. An important feature for some things. If you go with the normal Hitbox you will want to have your DS4 pad around incase you need analogue inputs for whatever reason.

Last edited:

MalevolentFix

To sum it up:

If you have the munnies for it the Obsidian is $ 269.99 USD before shipping and I can't recommend it enough.

If you don't have the munnies for it normal Hitbox is $199.99 with flat rate shipping USA: $20.00 Canada/Mexico: 45.00 USD International: 70.00 USD and is an amazing box that you'll love forever too.

Both good choices.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
To sum it up:

If you have the munnies for it the Obsidian is $ 269.99 USD before shipping and I can't recommend it enough.

If you don't have the munnies for it normal Hitbox is $199.99 with flat rate shipping USA: $20.00 Canada/Mexico: 45.00 USD International: 70.00 USD and is an amazing box that you'll love forever too.

Both good choices.
Meanwhile a guy wins SF major with a PSOne pad

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
And someone has beaten tournament players in Guility Gear with a Guitar Hero guitar, what do you want a cookie? XD He made a thread asking for Hitbox recommendations not which Playstation pad is the best (It's the PS2 pad BTW)
Yeah, just wanted to show how educated I am in FGC and now you shut me down with the fact I didn’t know. I’m destroyed

MalevolentFix

welp, I'm in the UK so unless there's retailers here, shipping will probably be a bitch.
Yeah you might want to go with the normal hitbox if that's the case, or look up a guide on building one yourself. The shipping for the Obsidian will be around 100 lmfao

Yeah i just checked, I'm not down to spend the price I paid for my console on a single controller. I was very much considering the DIY option, lmao.

Why is there no UK hitbox retailer, fuck my life.

MalevolentFix

Yeah i just checked, I'm not down to spend the price I paid for my console on a single controller. I was very much considering the DIY option, lmao.

Why is there no UK hitbox retailer, fuck my life.
Yeah I looked around for you and there really are none. You're either going to have to drop a substantial amount of money or modify an existing stick you have into a Hitbox. They're not cheap lmao. Sorry there's no less expensive option. It looks like even to get a Hitbox modded plate for an existing box shipped to you is going to cost a lot lol

But, I'd be taking advice from a caps fan :p

Nah, my NHL knowledge is less than slim. I've no idea where to start on such a project, though.

Ahhhh my friend. Have I got some options for you. Lmfao my specialty. So obviously you have: The Hitbox. The one found on hitboxarcade.com
View attachment 14490

This is a no frills box that's light weight but constructed well. All the extra buttons are on the back making it perfect for showing off artwork if you ever get a custom job done. It lacks your R3 and L3 that most modern sticks come with and has no touchpad connectivity so it's... Very bare bones. That being said it's still an amazing box and I'm glad I have it in my collection. Personally Seimitsus are the best buttons for it, they give it a satisfying report with each snappy input and response time is phenomenal.

Then if you head over to Arcadeshock.com you have the Obsidian Hitbox

View attachment 14491
This is the opposite of the last box. This is literally a Qanba Obsidian Arcade Stick with the stick ripped out and the box modded for Hitbox layout. It's got fancy glowing LEDs on the side that have either On analog input, On button input, or Always On modes so it will flash if you push any buttons or it'll just glow all the time. This one also features turbo functionality, R3, L3, and touchpad. This is my go-to box and what I am on 90% of the time and the best part about it, is that it isn't even that much more expensive than the regular Hitbox. AND if you go through their Colors lab you can get them to install the buttons you want on it pre-shipment. The box is a little too thick to use Seimitsu snap-ins, but if you're a Sanwa guy you're good to go. Mine personally has Seimitsu screw-ons (With one Sanwa snap on the up button since there's a problem on the interior and not enough space for a Seitmisu screw-on 30mm).

Both use 24mm for their 11 normal buttons, a fat 30mm for the up input. Both are comfortable, buuuuut... I mean it's an obsidian. It's formfactor is an absolute joy to have in your lap it feels weighty and solid.

Other things to note the normal Hitbox comes with a very long braided USB cable where the Obsidian comes with a much shorter normal cable. That being said the Obsidian has a cable holder built into it that's firm and tight and feels just as premium quality as the rest of the box, while the normal Hitbox has a rubber thingie that you use to tie the cable up after you roll it up like a hose. Eh. Minor details.

Either box will last you your entire life bar you throwing it on the ground like a ninny, and obviously there are lesser known custom shops all over the internet that might be able to get you one for a cheaper pricepoint but... I swear by both of these options and I've had my original Hitbox for two years now and bar me stupidly breaking some Sanwas while trying to change them out it's been flawless.

Oh the regular Hitbox is a lot easier to get into and mod. The rubber feet on the back that act as it's anti slip are actually the screws to open it! So regular Hitbox wins out on modification convenience as well.

EDIT: OH and I forgot, the Obsidian allows you to change the directional inputs from D-Pad, to Left Analogue, to Right Analogue. An important feature for some things. If you go with the normal Hitbox you will want to have your DS4 pad around incase you need analogue inputs for whatever reason.
Does the Qanba come with SOCD ? And can you program the buttons like the Hitboxarcade ?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Build one yourself, use a cardbox and save money

I know this is a year old, but I legit did this to start. I started with the decorative boxes you can get for about 10$ at a crafts store (when you could go to the store that is) and shored it up with craft sticks that cost a couple of dollars from the same place. The boxes can be fairly large, and they are stronger, hinged, magnetic and plastic coated to fend off sweaty hands. I have copies of all the fighters on PC so I started with a 10$ zero delay pcb (that recent windows changes or something have made unpleasant to use anymore due to mappings changing)

I think the whole test cost about $50 bucks and I wouldn't be surprised if it could have taken a year's worth of play before wearing out. It was just a test though to find out what I liked. I was pretty convinced at looking at the Hitbox, that the layout wasn't something I wanted to use, and people are highly critical of it at times.

Eventually I made two pretty cool looking boxes using wooden artist panels and some pretty complicated stuff for the walls. Everything was measured to my hands and liking. Aside from the hand placement, the top outer button was moved down to be another thumb button (mostly for block button games like MK), and I didn't know the Hitbox thumb button was up. That seems stupid to me. I made it down for me and I think that feels totally natural and wouldn't dare change it.

30mm buttons hurt to use for long as they forced too much spacing between buttons, so I totally followed Hitbox's lead and went 24mm, even for the thumb button. Buttons were spaced 35mm apart (center to center) which seems optimal for me, and left hand buttons and right hand buttons were kept noticeably apart unlike the Hitbox which squishes them together for some reason.

I also found an off brand of button that is very 'clicky' like cherry blue keyboard switches that I like because they require strong pressure and give noticeable feedback. I have one box with a couple of Sanwa buttons I wanted a specific color for, but I really don't like how squishy and overly touchy they are.

I bought a couple of seimitsu buttons to try, and they felt the cheapest of all buttons I've come across. Maybe because they were 24mm buttons, but they were so bad I don't see how they could be considered a major player in the space.

I'd like to do more of it. I was playing around with Plexiglas housing before all the lockdown stuff. I had some tests done and inkscape shapes for buttons, usb pass through, and even keyboard switch holes all sorted out and tested. I plan on doing more when things hopefully normal out a little.

The whole thing was super fun, but it's one of those things that can become way more expensive real fast if you aren't careful. The real thing can quickly become the more affordable and durable option, and what I built wouldn't travel too well. The personalization aspect is hard to put a price on though.