What's new

Reasons im not enjoying myself.

H0dl3r

Noob
Hey guys. Lurker since mkx. This is going to be heavily opinion based. Just my thoughts so far.

Im not having fun with this game. I started fighting games with mkx where I mained Ermac and later Sektor and Smoke. Then Ij2 where i mained batman. I think the main reason im not having fun is i dont know who to play. I started with Kotal and do like the character but Jesus his problems are too big to ignore. (Wont go into them, you probably already know.) So now i default to sonya... But i dont find this character interesting even a little bit... So i mixed in baraka... And hes good. Just doesnt suit my playstyle. Im lost on who i should play.

I cant stand the KB and fatal blow mechs at this point in the games life. 30% several times a match for free without any execution and in the case of fatal most of the time being safe as well.

I started fighting games with mortal kombat and gaming for me in general got pretty boring so i was really hyped about mk11 and so far i just doesnt seem like its for me #sadface

Espio

Kokomo
There's quite literally no reason why you cannot play Kotal, even if he is viewed as "bad". Video games are supposed to be fun, I picked up Cage because I wanted to explore his weaknesses since he seems to be viewed very negatively by a lot of the Cage community and I think their concerns are valid plus I really like Johnny and always have. Play characters you actually like. If your concern is "having fun". If you're not gonna do that is it really on the game? Non-tournament goers trip me up with that especially cause if you're just playing online you have no rationalization for not just playing who you like.

I don't get how people coming from MKX are so mad about things "for free" when high damage, safe armored launchers existed for a large portion of the game's life. Fatal blows could use some work and design tweaks but most people's Krushing blows are 100% not free and NRS games aren't generally overly execution heavy.

Also if gaming for you in general has "gotten boring" then that would mean it's not specific to MK11 and thus not a knock on the game. If you're over multiple genres.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Take a break of a couple of weeks and try again, maybe you'll find something fun with the game with your mind emptied.

Otherwise you can try and look into other fighting games while you wait for the DLC characters. I would have never guessed I might like 3D fighters, but Soul Calibur 6 got me into them. Try looking around!

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
The frames arent safe but most have immense pushback or can be done at a range that makes a punish not possible for most characters
You can dash in and get your punish. Most of them are quite unsafe enough to do that. Try it in practice mode

Ayx

Omnipresent
The frames arent safe but most have immense pushback or can be done at a range that makes a punish not possible for most characters
Have you even hit the Lab on that or are just pulling things out of thin air? Yes the pushback gives the illusion of safety but you can walk forward and punish, or use of your forward moving strings for an easy punish as well.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Like everyone here said, try other characters. Do all the character tutorials and note which ones stood out to you then go practice with them. Don't choose a character based on how good they are or which ones the pros are playing, find a character that suits you.

I've had the exact same feeling the first week after i bought the game, thinking "where the hell is the run button" and "why can't i pressure/mix them to death". But now i feel that mk11 is a lot better in other aspects. It's a different game.

looking at who you mained in MKX, i'm assuming your playstyle includes heavy 50/50's, teleports and using one braindead strategy to be able win.

If that's true - you won't find any character with all these things combined, because this game cut the bullshit that MKX had.

My advice - learn how to play footsies, learn how to use the space and whiff punish your opponents, escape throws and make better reads. Learn that there are other, more successful ways to win than just blind luck and broken stuff. Every character in this game is viable, test them all out, spend some time watching YT videos of how the pro's play. I'd recommend you to try Scorpion or Noob Saibot.

For the first time ever NRS made a game that is not favorable to fools, the only thing that determines the victor is how much they use their brain in different situations.

but if we could make fatal blows not come back on block that'd be great :DOGE

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
There's quite literally no reason why you cannot play Kotal, even if he is viewed as "bad". Video games are supposed to be fun, I picked up Cage because I wanted to explore his weaknesses since he seems to be viewed very negatively by a lot of the Cage community and I think their concerns are valid plus I really like Johnny and always have. Play characters you actually like. If your concern is "having fun". If you're not gonna do that is it really on the game? Non-tournament goers trip me up with that especially cause if you're just playing online you have no rationalization for not just playing who you like.

I don't get how people coming from MKX are so mad about things "for free" when high damage, safe armored launchers existed for a large portion of the game's life. Fatal blows could use some work and design tweaks but most people's Krushing blows are 100% not free and NRS games aren't generally overly execution heavy.

Also if gaming for you in general has "gotten boring" then that would mean it's not specific to MK11 and thus not a knock on the game. If you're over multiple genres.
While I agree with you, and I always find it weird when casual players say things like ‘is X character worth playing?’. My answer is always if they’re fun, play them. But I get what this guy means cos I tried Kotal, I enjoyed him in practice. Played him a bit online and his glaring weaknesses made him a lot less fun because I couldn’t play him the way I wanted to play the character. Thats not saying he’s unplayable, he probably just needs to be used in a different play style. But then that’s not the playstyle I find fun so I move on.

H0dl3r

Noob
To the people saying the game doesnt suit my brain dead playstyle. Useable mids and jailing is all i want. Thats why i like kotal but cant play him. Anyone saying "play who you like", learn kotal and see how often you get low profiled after pokes when its your turn. I played who i played in mkx because of good miss and staggers. Not mix up heavy

There's definitely no equivalent to Injustice Batman or MKX Ermac in this game (thank the Elder Gods)

Definitely worth using the "Sajam method" to find a character that's a fit for you, but you're gonna have to look for what feels right here as opposed to replicating a playstyle from a previous NRS title. Kotal pretty much demands you use his mid hitting f4 to get your opponent to respect anything you do and if that's not something you want then the character is definitely not for you.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Play Lao. His best mid is staggerable but it IS -5 so ya gotta be smart with it.

10f mid, different combo paths that lead to similar damage, so you can kinda have your own style of Lao, tele, good meaty special, and has two useful KBs.

Kavereus

Noob
Good thing for you is there's a lot of characters in the roster. Playing through the storymode will get you introduced to most of them in an entertaining fashion. You might enjoy the fluidity of Lao or Kang's combos or the hefty blows of Geras or Shao Kahn. Or go for a punisher strategy with Raiden. There's so much to explore.

I'm having trouble deciding who to main between Raiden and Sub-Zero and Jax because of how fun all three are!