What's new

General/Other - Spec Ops Realist modifications for Spec Ops future patch

N-Zalo

Noob
A moderate petition to make spec ops viable as the other 2 variations.

This is not a thread to whine about the already done changes to the character but a place to suggest realistic ideas to make Spec Ops as viable as her sisters Hollywood and Brawler.

We all know that recent patch affected this variation the most, by taking away the armor of her only defensive option worth spending meter in (ex-flip), and nerfing her best variation specific pressure/mixup tool: b2,1,2 and b2,1,2,d2+4.

First of all brief description of what I understand this variation's meta is:
Spec ops is all about making enough space to cast rockets so you can control the space with guesses/reads. Her strength are Ex-Rocket setups, but they can be interrupted by fast projectiles or armored moves if timed wrong or telegraphed. Midscreen meterles rocket setups work only on reads and are easy to tech roll or backdash.

So, how does the b2,1,2 and b2,1,2,d2+4 nerfs affect her?? Basically up-close spec ops is near a variationless Cassie, so she relies on high cancel advantage strings with pushback to start her pressure/guessing game.

At this point we should make an assumption: the changes already done are here to stay, and developers are not going to roll back neither the flip nor the stick combo nerfs. So we have to think a variation specific way to solve this problems.

So far I came up with two possibilities:

A) Make "American Way" special high (to hit crouch blocking opponents) that way she can have hitconfirmables 50/50 with a gap in the middle, therefore she can spend the bar used on ex-flip on rockets.

B) Lower the negative values on Rocket's "recovery" so if its canceled out of b2,1,2,d2+4 it can be blown on read by fast reversals but not by all pokes on reaction.

Let me introduce the numbers:

Rocket(mid)----Startup:75--Active:6----Recovery: (-29)
Rocket(close)--Startup:48--Active:6----Recovery: (-29)
Ex-Rocket------Startup:60--Active:107--Recovery: (-127)

For normal Rocket the amount of frames needed to start are Rocket's (close) "Startup+Active+Recovery" this is 25 frames before it can't be interrupted.
The time needed for Cassie to recover (be able to block again) is Rocket's (mid) "Startup+Active+Recovery", this is 52 frames.
The time needed for the rocket to hit the ground is 75 frames (Rocket's (mid) Startup)

For Ex-Rocket the data given by the game is not very clear, but with some tests I have found this:
The amount of frames before it can't be interrupted are 31
The frames needed for Cassie to recover are 37
The frames before the rocket hits your enemy are 60 (Ex-Rocket Startup)

What we can see out of this numbers is that the "recovery" stat listed in the frame data is directly related with the real startup of rockets and the real recovery of the character, the higher absolute value it has (the more negative it is) the faster rocket will become active and Cassie will recover.

Pre-patch cancel advantage on block of b2,1,2 and b2,1,2,d2+4 were 18 and 20 frames, now are both 12 frames.
That means before last update normal Rocket couldn't be interrupted and Ex-Rocket had a 13 and 11 frames windows for each strings before becoming active, with pushback.
Now, with less pushback, both strings have a 13 frame window to interrupt normal Rocket and a 19 frames windows for Ex-Rocket.

My suggestion is to lower the "Recovery" stat 5 frames for the Rocket (Recovery: -34) and 7 Frames for the Ex-Rocket (Recovery: -134).
This way rocket will need 20 frames to become active and 47 frames before you can block again (instead of 25 and 52)
And Ex-Rocket will need 24 frames to become active, and 30 to block (instead of 31 and 37)

**Lets see how rocket works now, and how it will work with this modifications:

This is a chart with the actual cancel information of her highest cancel advantage strings/normals:

http://imgur.com/Kp6RLHu

"R(Ex-R) start" is the time it takes for rockets to become active by being cancelled out of that string
"R(Ex-R) recovery" is the time it takes to block again (window to be punished)
"R(Ex-R) hit" is the time for the rocket to hit the flor or the enemy

This is the same chart with the proposed changes already implemented:

http://imgur.com/R9M3RTn

A few clarifications:

-After this modification we get almost the same gap between b2 strings and Rockets (normal and Ex) we had pre-patch, this is 12 frames.

-Faster starting time for rockets does NOT imply rocket spaming, The time for the rocket to hit the enemy doesn't change, and cooldown frames can be added to the moves to compensate the 5 and 7 frames for each one.

-The negative "R start" values with the new Recovery values has no meaning at all, because with the exception of s4, normal Rocket couldn't be interrupted before (R start < 7frames).
So why buffing it, you may ask. Because all those strings gives your enemy a free cross-over making Rocket useless, while the pushback on b2 strings forces him to attack from the front or retreat.

-The "Ex-R start" now grants you that rocket will come out of up close strings, has a 12 frames gap to interrupt it from b2 strings, and has windows greater than 6 and lower than 18 to punish any atempt of setups after Ex-Rocket.

If you read this and you agree with the modifications, please reply this thread with an "I Agree" message.
Perhaps if we have enough support from the Cassie comunity, and make enough noise we can make this changes happen.
Also, if you think there's other way to do this, please share it!

@Compbros
@Jer
@Scott The Scot
@buyacushun

I tagged you guys because you're the only Spec Ops playes I know, please tag anyone how could be interested in this.

Thank You!

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Ummmmm I don't play Spec Ops and I'm currently tackling school work. So all these numbers are gibberish to me and hurting my brain. But I'm with you anyways. If it wasn't for Ex rocket mixups being even slightly scary then I think brawler wouldn't have made out how it did. So I thank you Spec Ops players.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Damn, quite impressive. I'm not sure about the frame data and maths or how correct you are but assuming you're correct then yeah I agree with the outcome you've said it would make. Seems cool to me. How would these changes affect her rocket cancels on hit like in a juggle state?

N-Zalo

Noob
How would these changes affect her rocket cancels on hit like in a juggle state?
Rocket setups after combos will remain the same, since the time it takes for rockets to hit will be the same, it won't be easier to break armors.

On hit, using the higher cancel advantage on hit strings it will leave you a bit more positive with Ex-Rocket, the one with faster recovery:
Combo / Advantage before / Advantage after
1,1 / -3 / 3
1,2 / -1 / 6
2,4 / -3 / 4
This changes nothing on her game plan, because 1,1 and 1,2 are usless to cancel ex-rocket on block, and by cancelling 2,4 on hit on rocket you sacrifice 29% meterless combo for the chance of a mixup (that could be blocked) at the price of a bar.

As far as I can predict, juggle combos will not change at all, since there are almost none combos with rockets in-between, and as I said before, rockets will hit at the same time they do now.
This are the only juggles with non-ex rockets I know, and 5 frames won't modify nothing
For Ex-Rockets you can juggle with all 3 of them right now, but you spend 3 bar for no more than 40%. Perhaps those 7 frames could add some posibility that I can't imagine right now, but for the price of 2 or more bars.

N-Zalo

Noob
I never said that she relied on it more than the others, but other variations have other tools besides what ex-flip was:
Brawler got a 18% overhead armored move, and Hollywood has a 8% (not sure) armored move, with pushback on block, that reverses the momentum, allowing her to chip or 50/50 out of it.
Spec ops was left with only Ex-glow kick (13% for a bar).

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
This all looks good, when I get a chance to sit down and see how these changes would work I'll be able to give my thoughts but for now I agree.

N-Zalo

Noob
So, another patch has passed, and nrs didn't even fixed the awfull hitbox of AW, the inconsistent gap on b2,1,2,d2+4, nor gave Spec Ops any kind of buff...

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I guess you don't move from Cassie forums then?

if you want to buff her get rid of the hard to blockables first, she would be too strong otherwise, at least in my opinion.
These buffs are for cancel advantage, atm I can be interrupted before a rocket comes when I try to pressure. Her defensive tools have already taken a huge hit, she's not a zoner because of the startup/recovery on rockets. Giving her an option at close range for rockets that an opponent has to react to instead of being able to be poked outta everything would not break her or make her too strong.

N-Zalo

Noob
if you want to buff her get rid of the hard to blockables first, she would be too strong otherwise, at least in my opinion.
Hard to blockable that need 37 frames to start + whatever normal you use to mix, that can be avoided by a poke up-close wasting a bar, and can be interrupted by armored moves or a projectile trade from mid/full screen.
All buffs proposed are barely to recover what has been taken from her. The only place where spec ops shine is in the corner and this changes doesn't affect her corner game at all.
This character has only 2 variation specific special moves: rockets and American way. The only string that led to rocket setups was nerfed and AW is nearly useless.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Hard to blockable that need 37 frames to start + whatever normal you use to mix, that can be avoided by a poke up-close wasting a bar, and can be interrupted by armored moves or a projectile trade from mid/full screen.
All buffs proposed are barely to recover what has been taken from her. The only place where spec ops shine is in the corner and this changes doesn't affect her corner game at all.
This character has only 2 variation specific special moves: rockets and American way. The only string that led to rocket setups was nerfed and AW is nearly useless.
Pretty sure American Way can be 2-in-1 canceled from a 50/50. It basically allows her to hit confirm her 50/50s. It's -9 on block which is safe-ish. You gotta be ready to punish it.

But for real Spec Ops is mad annoying. The missiles interrupt everything I do and both normal and EX can be confirmed to a full combo even when I knock Cassie down. Tech roll into B12~flip combo.

I don't think Spec Ops needs nerfs. Fought a very good Spec Ops yesterday, pain in the butt to fight.

N-Zalo

Noob
Pretty sure American Way can be 2-in-1 canceled from a 50/50. It basically allows her to hit confirm her 50/50s. It's -9 on block which is safe-ish. You gotta be ready to punish it.
I assume that the original purpose NRS thought for AW was to give her hitconfirmables 50/50 with a gap in the middle not so negative on block, therefore people can backdash or armor through on read, or punish with fast normals/specials if they think she will not flip. But thats not what it does...
Here is whats wrong with AW:
-It's horizontal hitbox is sh**, you have to be face to face for it to hit.
-It's HIGH, it doesn't hit crouching block opponents, Add that to the fact that followups from f3 or d+f1 does't jail due to its huge startup, and you will never hit anyone who knows how to block against Spec Ops... All they have to do to block her 50/50 is block standing/crouch for f3xxAW (it covers the f3,3 alternative combo) and block crouch/standing/crouch for d+f1xxAW and American Way will always whiff!! Leaving her at -24 that's its recovery time, allowing everyone to whiff punish her.
I think the only true block strings for AW are "f4" "2,4" and "d+f1" the first low shot. There's no reason for the first two to be canceled on AW, and the third, due to its animation, can only be done in the corner.
So... what I say is to fix it to be special high, that way it will hit crouch blocking opponents, BUT NOT neutral ducking opponents. therefore if you read AW you let go block and just duck for it to whiff, backdash or armor through.
At the moment, AW is useless against people that knows how to deal with it.

Last edited:

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

But for real Spec Ops is mad annoying. The missiles interrupt everything I do and both normal and EX can be confirmed to a full combo even when I knock Cassie down. Tech roll into B12~flip combo.

I don't think Spec Ops needs nerfs. Fought a very good Spec Ops yesterday, pain in the butt to fight.
Yes but if you guess right on the 50/50 then all you have to do is crouch block for a full combo punish. It's more viable NOT to use AW because the recovery is way more negative than either 50/50 on block.

Yes, it's annoying, but manageable.

Thanks to the long startup/recovery you can zone pretty effectively.

(1:21:20)

Any armored launching move can be used to full punish rockets.

(1:10:47)

As I said, AW is all about knowing how to block it. She has weak midscreen damage so those errant rocket hits won't net you the 30 meterless that most of the cast his.

She doesn't need nerfs but she could do with some help. She has some big weaknesses that can be exposed. I played @HoneyBee at Winter Brawl, he knows the Spec Ops matchup and it was a disgusting set. I couldn't do anything against the guy, setup anything, it was so bad.

Ahh, I thought you mean on hit lol.
Ugh, hell no, I'd never pick Spec Ops in that matchup.

Last edited: