What's new

Real Talk: What is the glide for?

So we can add a smidge of damage to some optimals, add an extra hit to the 24u32 KB, and otherwise make ourselves a floating duck in the sky.
We can't stop it early without attacking, and being so floaty gives us nothing to do when we're above the opponent other than to fall hoping we either hit them on the way down or they don't punish us.
I've messed around with it, noticed we can get three glides if a minimum amount of frames are spent gliding on the previous.

But otherwise, what is this move actually for? I enjoy the high potential of dropping my combo for a small damage increase as much as the next guy, but I wish v1 got both glide and dive cape as they seem better paired together.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
You could make a thread like this for dozens of moves in this game. The approach NRS has taken to patching this game is super pussy. They like to throw in all these cool looking moves that ultimately serve no purpose because they are afraid of the move being too powerful. So instead they make it useless.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I can't find a reason for it to exist other than thematically either honestly. It's the primary reason I'm playing V3 exclusively - it's not worth sacrificing all of V3's tools for the launcher.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
This move is a big part of why I thought Spawn was super boring. His combo variation gets nothing extra to play with.

For lower level play it lets you easily cover some distance for people who mindlessly spam amped projectiles across the screen, or just throw people's timing off a little. I don't really think about the move much to be honest.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I assumed it was for more damage since combo #1 does more than combo #2
  1. F21~BF3(amp) > J2~DB2~2 > F2~DB3 = 368 (411 amp)
  2. F21~BF3(amp) > F2~DB3 = dunno how much exactly but for sure less
I was thinking of using it to induce a response. Havent tested this yet but maybe someone did:
  • When you glide to an opponent, they will want to uppercut you on your way down. If you cancel the glide by pressing a button just outside of the range of their uppercut, you can punish them as they recover maybe?

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I assumed it was for more damage since combo #1 does more than combo #2
  1. F21~BF3(amp) > J2~DB2~2 > F2~DB3 = 368 (411 amp)
  2. F21~BF3(amp) > F2~DB3 = dunno how much exactly but for sure less
I was thinking of using it to induce a response. Havent tested this yet but maybe someone did:
  • When you glide to an opponent, they will want to uppercut you on your way down. If you cancel the glide by pressing a button just outside of the range of their uppercut, you can punish them as they recover maybe?
It's not an amazing mixup tool. Theres a lot of different tools characters can use to snipe him out of the air. Plus you can bait out the jump kick and trip guard him, hes minus if they block it, the jump punches dont connect at max height and he cant avoid anything at low height, you can do a preemptive j1 or j2 and pick him up for a combo, etc.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
It's not an amazing mixup tool. Theres a lot of different tools characters can use to snipe him out of the air. Plus you can bait out the jump kick and trip guard him, hes minus if they block it, the jump punches dont connect at max height and he cant avoid anything at low height, you can do a preemptive j1 or j2 and pick him up for a combo, etc.
Alrighty then. So I guess glide is only good for extra damage lol

So we can add a smidge of damage to some optimals, add an extra hit to the 24u32 KB, and otherwise make ourselves a floating duck in the sky.
We can't stop it early without attacking, and being so floaty gives us nothing to do when we're above the opponent other than to fall hoping we either hit them on the way down or they don't punish us.
I've messed around with it, noticed we can get three glides if a minimum amount of frames are spent gliding on the previous.

But otherwise, what is this move actually for? I enjoy the high potential of dropping my combo for a small damage increase as much as the next guy, but I wish v1 got both glide and dive cape as they seem better paired together.
What's the point of the glide? To look sexy

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
If the glide was faster, used a single button input, and lead into another move (like IGAU Batman,) it would be much more viable than it currently is. As of now, it probably shines the most off of lazy jump ins.