Rate your TYM experience

Discussion in 'TYM News & Feedback' started by STORMS, Nov 28, 2018.

?

Happy with TYM overall?

1. 1

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. 2

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. 3

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. 4

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. 5

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. 6

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  7. 7

14 vote(s)
    18.4%
  8. 8

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
  9. 9

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  10. 10

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. PS4 NA, PS4 EU, PC. Maybe it feels that way to me because I've been playing this whole time, but it is rare for me to run into someone I haven't already played many times before. I didn't know I2 was that bad off.

2. STORMS

STORMS Owner / Director
    Administrator

PSN:
    HEISSTORMS
    @Braindead @God Confirm I think you both misunderstood me... I wasn't bringing the chat up in terms of competition with Discord. If we can integrate Discord, I'm open to it.

I mentioned the chat because I have to look into the possibilities.

3. See... a book. I am not a shameless NRS basher but I do call them out when they do stupid shit like no evo announcement, no hype building and numbers suffering at evo, lack of content like every other blue chip provider. but you keep going on being a yes man and see bashing... I gave numerous examples of how this site and you could have better transitioned to the current state of the fgc.

Crimson. Serious questions. Please do not take it as bashing. What innovations or things have you done for tym to support it other than be a mod and respond to people in the posts?

Created a tym team? Tym tournament series? cleaned up the character forums to avoid the post patch confusion and the main reason people are on discord? create content like event hubs? These are all suggestions i have seen from multiple members of the site? if you are not the one to spear head it, who can you direct us to?

Qwark28 likes this.
  4. Obly

Obly Noob

But is that actually true? Or does it just feel true because the dominant voices at TYM say it is? I mean, I can go over to Reddit and its Discord right now and find hundreds of users actively talking about Inj2 (a lot of them talking about how they just started playing the game... not how they're quitting it in droves). It may not be huge numbers, but it's not nothing.

So why aren't those Inj2 players having their discussions over here at TYM? Lots of reasons, I'm sure. But it's certainly not helping that anytime an Inj2 player comes on TYM, the main message they hear is that Inj2 is a shit game with two feet in the grave anyway and with nothing worth talking about. That doesn't really make people want to stick around, if they feel this is a site that doesn't cater to the game they're playing.
    Yeah, I get it; I just don't think there needs to be such a drastic cycle, where one fanbase is in the sun and the other is out in the cold. There should be room enough here so it feels like home to all NRS fans, all the time. Having champions for each franchise working to keep up its visibility and balance out the negative voices (or just the vacuum) would really help.

All I'm saying is, as @STORMS and co. consider technical upgrades to the site, don't ignore "upgrades" to the human element, because that's just as important.

5. CrimsonShadow

CrimsonShadow Administrator and Community Engineer
    Administrator

I know you're trolling, but I'll answer as if you're serious anyway, since a lot of people likely don't know this stuff.

TYM is @STORMS' site at the end of the day. I can make suggestions, but TYM is around because of his resources, and he controls whether any larger changes are made.

With that said though, I've always made an effort to support the community because, more than anything else, I passionately believe that there's something special here. When a lot of our local streams began during the transition from MK9 to Injustice, and not many people were watching them, I decided that I'd be helpful for TYM to cover them and started my own detailed writeups of NLBC and WNF so that people who didn't watch them could know how exciting some of the matches were, and how the NRS scene was evolving locally. (Before this, we were only covering majors) During the heart of MK9 when MIT and DJT had trouble making it out to SCR I made a trip out to Western Union to send them my own money so that they could make it. When Pig held a tournament to send someone who couldn't normally make a major to MLG, I gave money to ultimately help send Madzin from the EU to the US for the tourney. When NLBC attendance here was starting to flag, I sent Art my own money for the pot bonus to try to help. When CD Jr. missed the registration window for EVO, I emailed the Cannons and got him registered for the tourney anyway. Ditto for Gamerblake when he had trouble making it out one year. When Triforce screwed KDZ over registration for TFC I paid his venue and game fee so that he could play (and he ultimately won). When NEC attendance was looking low, I sent bread (along with JamesMK, weirdly enough) to Big E for a bonus out there. And I sent Bit some cash to make sure he could make it out to one of his latter majors for Injustice. When we didn't have sponsors, whenever someone had trouble or couldn't figure out how to make an important tourney, I did my best to try to help them get there.

The reason I barely mention most of this (even at the time) is that I didn't do it for props; I did it for you guys. Almost none of this benefits me directly, and almost all of it was to help someone else do what they wanted to do. But that's what being a community is all about. We're here to help each other out and get somewhere together.

When there was controversy over podcasts being featured, I made sure that we changed the TYM policy to allow as much community-made content on the front page as possible. Whether or not it was critical of this site or the game, because I believe that it's important that people's voices (even the critical ones) be heard. That is, ironically, the only reason why Dave's podcasts where you spout your criticism are still here on the front page. I created the separate forum for Podcasts and Shows so that we could make it easier to find our community's output. I also created a subforum for Gameplay Analysis so that we could have intelligent discussion about tournament other than just arguing about what was broken (but Protagonist is one of the only guys who's used it). There are lots more ideas for organization and helpful content that I've had that are simply not up to me.

Also ironically, when I got you, Tom, Pig, and all of those guys together to try to lay down guidelines for our own standardized community seeding system (to help facilitate *your own* ideas along with mine), you were one of the major reasons why it didn't work. We could barely get through a series of simple Skype calls with the shenanigans you were pulling, just to get you in the call. That you come here today and complain about homegrown efforts is beyond hypocritical.

So at the end of the day, this is the big question -- who's willing to help? It's easy for people to demand stuff, but when it's time for the community to pitch in and do something for somebody other than themselves, who will be reliable? There are some guys I can name that always step up: Mr. Aquaman, Pig, Destroyer now, etc. Anything meaningful STORMS puts together should be a joint effort between the site and the community.

I've always been here for suggestions and to facilitate things for people who wanted to help. But I've mainly seen you here for complaints. So it is what it is. If you're serious about a tournament series, for example, let STOMS know and be willing to help him run it. Saying "we don't have this" is always 100x easier than "Let's do this and here's how:".

Anyway, none of this is truly personal -- no matter what the state of things is, I'll always ultimately love the community and all of you guys, agree or disagree. But if you want to see change, be a part of it as well. Working together is what builds something that'll last into the future.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  6. Juggs

Juggs Lose without excuses
    Lead Moderator

8wayrun integrates their discord well on their site. Discord isn’t the competition, it can be used as an extension of the forums (as it is on 8wr and other forums).

aj1701, karaokelove, Espio and 2 others like this.
  7. portent

portent Noob

@STORMS I understand the part of my post that you chose to quote, but you left out the part that actually meant more:

Yes, it will take work, but TYM was willing to put the work in initially to get to the top. Is TYM willing to put in the work to stay at the top?

A chatbox that doesn't get pruned, but gets archived, along with reliable people combing over the chats for tech that can be referenced quickly. This is the more important part.

Storms, if you're burnt out, and I understand that feeling, then maybe finding someone else to own/operate is the answer. Maybe the time has come, that instead of seeing it go down in flames, let it die with dignity. I don't know, I don't have the answer, but if you're burnt out, and not willing to/capable of putting in the work, then a change from the status quo is necessary, otherwise TYM is going to continue to sink.

STORMS likes this.
  8. STORMS

STORMS Owner / Director
    Administrator

PSN:
    HEISSTORMS
    Regarding handing over the keys... my main issue is the dedication going forward. You see... I was absent but I continued to pay the bills and if TYM ever went down I would have ensured it would be up as soon as possible.

More to come. I have some ideas that excite me.

9. villainous monk

villainous monk Break bread over a whiskey n rocks. Like a man.

I'm at least very glad your back on the site right now taking a interest. We know life gets in the way of our hobbies, goals and dreams to continue our objectives outside of the norm. As much change has been suggested in this thread, I hope the core element of TYM remains.

New emojis, updated forums, whatever chat or stream box you decide. Merchandise or TYM tournaments and such. We're here too support you.

Get some good trustworthy, reliable people to help you do things that can ease the stress. Whatever it is or you think you want too try. Just checking like this a really good start.

I was looking at the MKDA I forums this week and I couldn't believe how civil and clean it was compared to now. If that's the standard that should be met for example then we should try to emulate that. I could at least try within the next game that comes out.

A TYM like 2010-2011 and on would be great. Just slowly updated to 2019 in some respects.

Sent from my Silicon Valley North Waterloo using Test Your Might mobile app

karaokelove likes this.
  10. jamessmk

jamessmk I am your god

PSN:
    jamessmk
    XBL:
    jamessmk
    Steam:
    Jamessmk
    I don’t know about your little personal war with @PLAYING TO WIN and what not, and yes I know I know I ain’t been around here. But, as far as you giving me shit, money, ECT? I don’t remember you never ever giving me a penny, not a common reach around, or a simple “Hey Jimmy just checking to see how you are?” So maybe your did this for other @jamessmk but never me, so please don’t include me in your clout chasing lies! Good day Enjoy

11. CrimsonShadow

Administrator

Lol, not to you. Both of us independently sent money to add up for a pot bonus for the same tourney (Actually looking back at the date now and the fact that it went to Big E). It was after there was a dustup about some east coast people supposedly boycotting the tournament, and we both sent bread for a bonus to support.

Why would I send money to you?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  12. Wigy

Wigy There it is...

I have him blocked but I'm guessing this is a response to J beezy

Him and Roy arkon are elder good status shitposters

13. CrimsonShadow

Administrator

[​IMG]

And there's the receipt. You sent $750, I sent $250 to make it an even $1000 together. And yeah, I do keep receipts in case people try to make funny claims.

JBeezYBabY likes this.
  14. Gamer68

Gamer68 Let's put you on ice!

@STORMS @CrimsonShadow @Espio @Eldriken @CrazyFingers and anyone else that MAY be interested in feedback.

I don't know if the rating thing still matters or not, but I thought I would offer how I feel on my experience. Maybe this isn't the feedback you guys are looking for, but here it goes: Overall, I think TYM is fine. If it wasn't I wouldn't still be here. I do have some problems, but a good hunk of those just come down to the community as a whole (and I want to note that I am not talking about specific members -- again, I mean as whole). I don't know how to explain it, but it's almost like at times TYM can be very anti-discussion at times. I can't think of a very good example, but I know 100% that there have been times where some people have told others to be quiet over things like speculation, rather that be how good a character will end up being, or what is going to be included in some game, whatever.

It's not a good example at all, but I remember when me and some other users were speculating on rather or not Injustice 2 was going to be delayed because there was like 4 months of complete silence. I remember saying that I thought the game could end up releasing in May instead of April because maybe NRS has a lot on their plate with the Gear system and everything, then a pro player basically told me to quiet down. It wasn't a big deal and I want to go ahead and make it clear that we don't have beef or anything, and I'm not saying his name because I don't want to make it into a big deal. My only point is that we should be able to talk on a fan site without someone trying to shut down a discussion, especially considering in that case it ended up being true. There are better examples out there for sure, but this is just something that popped into the top of my head.

Though, at the same time, I've seen discussions go completely off topic and devolve into something entirely different. It's weird, it's like we have discussions about things we shouldn't be talking about but then shut down things we should. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

I don't know how we can fix problems like these, mainly because it comes down to everyone not being a jackass, lol. And of course you can't always count on that, and to be fair I've had my moments as well (WHERE TF IS MY INJUSTICE 2 BETA CODE, NETHERREALM!?). I think going forward we need to try to be more open and fair, but also more honest with our faults. Again, I don't know how we get that improvement, but I think it needs to happen if this community is going to last -- or more importantly, grow. I saw you guys mentioning something about integrating Discord, and while I don't use it, I'm fine with it because its something that a lot of people use and maybe it will get people interested in talking more. Basically anything that can be used to make others interact more is a good thing in my book, just make sure the tech is shared here too, lol.

This is going to be a random mess of recommendations from actual site improvements to things we should do as a community that I personally would like to see:
    • I think Test Your Might tournaments would be cool, maybe a weekly thing or a monthly thing, but it could be on Friday nights and it could be streamed. We wouldn't just have to play the newest game either. I think this would be a cool addition for Mortal Kombat 11's pre-release, because we could actually do MKX tournaments and stuff while waiting for the new game to drop. I don't know if it's possible, but if prize pots are thing, maybe you can do a small entry fee and have some of that money go into a prize pot and the other portion go into improving the site or Twitch stream set-ups or something. Or even put the money into a giveaway that way the next tournament would be even better, I'm sure you could entice a lot of people to be active on the site AND in these games if you were like "Hey, we are doing this tournament and if we get X amount of people to sign-up, we'll add Y game into the prize pot". I'm a wifi warrior personally, so I'm not going to be joining any tournaments because of that (plus I'm a poor boy with no money), but it would be nice for others.
    • Weekly character discussion threads. Many other sites like Reddit do this. Basically every week, on each game forum, you highlight a specific character in the game. Try to update the thread as comments come in, pinning new highlight clips, speculation, etc. This will give users and opportunity to talk about a character even if that character's discussion thread is dead, and maybe in the process, have on of their comments pinned in the OP of the thread. We can even do Mortal Kombat 11 pre-release threads, like "how do you feel about X character maybe being in the game?" and people could speculate on how that character could be updated, things they would like to see/don't want to see, and so on.
    • The home page could see some improvements. And no I'm not talking about the Injustice 2 character select thingy, I think the homepage in general could be updated. Maybe instead of a character selector, you can just do forum quick links. Like have all the games listed and the under them do some really small links that will take you to character selector, main leak thread, etc. Like right now if I want to get to Bo's MKX threads, I have to go to Forums > Mortal Kombat series > Mortal Kombat XL > Bo' Rai Cho, then I'm there. But if you did what I suggested, you could just click Mortal Kombat XL Characters > Bo' Rai Cho, then be there.
    • Site flairs could be updated. Or rather, mood choosers. Injustice 2 Aquaman flair is using his old render with his weird face that was in pre-release instead of his final render with his updated look. Some of the background designs on some of those also feel a little bit off, like maybe too cartoon or something. I think it would be a nice quality of life improvement if these were updated.
    • Ads can, uh, act up at times. Like I will be on a thread by @Juggs and the Amazon links at the top will be ads for magazines featuring, well, juggs all right...
    Maybe I could find some other stuff, but this post is getting to big and I think I've been going at it for like an hour, but there you have it. Honestly, I want to say that I'm not really interested in things like like and dislike systems, I mainly just want to see quality of life changes for the site then some more community interaction stuff. Thanks for reading if you did.

15. Gamer68

Gamer68 Let's put you on ice!

By the way I barely read any of the posts before mine but after reading some of them now I'm not 100% sure if this is the time or place to post my recommendations, so I apologize if I made things a little weird. I just saw the thread and decided to finally do it, so yeah...

STORMS likes this.
  16. Is this site going to do any marketing? Have a team? Maybe have a tournament circuit?

17. TheGangstaFace

TheGangstaFace Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace

Were you even around for that tremor thread? Lol

ImperatrixSindel likes this.
  18. TheGangstaFace

TheGangstaFace Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace

But crimson asked if you’re willing to help participate in making any of your demands a reality and you’re asking about more demands lol

JBeezYBabY likes this.
  19. STORMS

STORMS Owner / Director
    Administrator

PSN:
    HEISSTORMS
    If the community came together for one, sure. However, I am working on upgrades to make the TYM experience the next level.

BTW I'd like to publicly thank both @dribirut and @MadeFromMetal for their recent generous donations.

These are two members so far that we can all Thank for what is to come.

20. I was in a call with crimson years ago but unfortunately Tom Brady wouldn’t stop talking and the 5 of us in the call got nothing done. We never tried to get back together again. I co-built a community and ran tournaments where i had 30-40 ppl showing up for a free weekly and 100-160 paying for a monthly. Console combat is no longer active though bc of my career and my partner loving. We had a team, marketed, amassed 5000$ in equipment, found sever players and introduced them to competitive gaming including forever king. I know what it takes and how to do it. If I am ever asked I would be willing to assist with all of the things I mentioned.

Crimson is the community engineer and has a stake in this site. I am neither. While I’m happy to help with my limited time (3 kids, career, et cetera) I would expect crimson to have initiated and taken the lead on innovation to keep the site relevant

21. STORMS

STORMS Owner / Director
    Administrator

PSN:
    HEISSTORMS
    Please stop shitting on @CrimsonShadow .

He is an administrator here. He's been more active than I have recently. If it's up to any ONE man to keep TYM relevant, it's me.

JBeezYBabY likes this.
  22. I don’t think I am shitting on him. I said I would help. I did not know it was more on you for those type of things.

STORMS likes this.
  23. xQUANTUMx

xQUANTUMx Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
    Premium Supporter

yaaaaa no. The shoutbox on MKU is part of what I think killed that site. Don't do that here.

If you can intelligently integrate discord in some way, that might be good

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018 at 12:48 PM
  24. RYX

RYX I will downplay anything for 5 dollars

I have a good time here! 10!

JBeezYBabY likes this.
  25. Chernyy Volk

Chernyy Volk Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.

I lurked during the entirety of MKX

TheGangstaFace likes this.