What's new

Rate the Entire MK Franchise, Instalment by Instalment Out of 10

Art Lean

Noob
Ok, you can elaborate if you like (you know, say you what you played it one, why your score is what it is) but you don't have to, anyway here's a fun if daunting question, rate the entire officially-endorsed MK franchise out of 10. I'm only including each and every instalment as a single entity (no portable format sub-entires such as "Game Gear Version of MK2") and just answer it using your experience from the best version you experienced it on (so if you've only ever played MK3 on the SNES, MK Conquest on VHS or MK4 on the N64, that's your experience of it to base your opinion on).

Note that although I will separate the old-school updates, such as UMK3 and MK Gold, I'm not separating MK9 from MK9 Komplete Edition, MKX from MKXL and MK11 from MK11 Aftermath as the constantly updated patched nature of modern online games means that they're unavoidably evolved rather than existing as separate retail products like MK3 and UMK3 are), therefore the most recent version is what your basing your opinion on for the contemporary titles.

So without further-a-do, rate each Mortal Kombat out of 10....

GAMES:
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Gold
Mortal Kombat Special Forces
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance
Mortal Kombat Deception
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Mortal Kombat Vs DC
Mortal Kombat (aka 9, 2011)
Mortal Kombat X
Mortal Kombat 11

EXPANDED MULTI-MEDIA
Mortal Kombat The Journey Begins
Mortal Kombat (1995)
Mortal Kombat Defenders of the Realm
Mortal Kombat Annihilation
Mortal Kombat Conquest
Mortal Kombat Federation of Martial Arts
Mortal Kombat Rebirth
Mortal Kombat Legacy
Mortal Kombat Scorpion's Revenge

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Mortal Kombat: 4
Mortal Kombat 2: 5
Mortal Kombat 3: 8
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3: 9
Mortal Kombat Trilogy: N/A
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero: N/A
Mortal Kombat 4: 6
Mortal Kombat Gold: N/A
Mortal Kombat Special Forces: N/A
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance: 7
Mortal Kombat Deception: 8
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks: N/A
Mortal Kombat Armageddon: 4
Mortal Kombat Vs DC: N/A
Mortal Kombat (aka 9, 2011): 8
Mortal Kombat X: 9
Mortal Kombat 11: 9

haketh

Noob
MKI: 5/10
MKII: 9/10
MK3: 6/10
UMK3: 9/10
MKT N64: 10/10
MK4: 6/10
MK4G: 6.5/10
MK Mythologies: 6/10
MK Special Forces: 3/10
MKDA: 8.0
MK Shaolin Monks: 10/10
MK Deception: 8.5
MK Armageddon: 8.0
MK9: 10/10
MKX: 7/10
MK11: 8.5/10

#1 MK9: Overall the best game. Broken fighting game, great single player, awesome retro design (females look trashy though).
#2 MK11: Great fighting game, mediocre single player, great character design, lackluster music and stages.
#3 Shaolin Monks: Fun, fun, fun.
#4 UMK3: The best of MK1-3 with added run and combo insanity
#5 MK1-3: Not as good as the games above but still fun to play every once in a while.
#6 MKX/IJ/IJ2: I hate everything about these games: Washed out and overly dark color palette where everything looks like a fucking Christopher Nolan film, to the kombat kids, garbage DLC characters, Tommy Wiseau-level stories that are overrated af, yet the gameplay is halfway fun unless you Get Aliened, Black Adamed or Superman eye-lasered.

I don't give a shit about any other game in the series and I think they all suck monkey balls.

FreshFromTheDeli

FrostFromTheDeli
Mortal Kombat - 5
Mortal Kombat 2 - 8
Mortal Kombat 3 - 8
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - 9
Mortal Kombat Trilogy - 7
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero - NA
Mortal Kombat 4 - 7
Mortal Kombat Gold - 8
Mortal Kombat Special Forces - NA
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance - 10
Mortal Kombat Deception - 9
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks - NA
Mortal Kombat Armageddon - 7
Mortal Kombat Vs DC - 5
Mortal Kombat (aka 9, 2011) - 9
Mortal Kombat X - 9
Mortal Kombat 11 - 10

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
MK - 5
MK2 - 9
MK3 - 7
UMK3 - 10
MKT - 10
MKM SZ - 7
MK4 - 5
MKG - 6
MK SF - n/a
MK DA - 7
MKD - 8
MK SM - n/a
MKA - 8
MKVDC - 6
MK9- 10
MKX - 9.5
MK11 - 8

Injustice - 8
Injustice 2 - 10

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Anyone that puts MK9 as 10/10 or the best in the franchise can NEVER complain about balance or broken characters or hitboxes or online play ever again. You rate that game that high, then you need to shut up about MK11 balance, broken characters or hitboxes

Mortal Kombat - 4/10 - it's alright for a start.
Mortal Kombat 2 - 8.5/10 - elevated immensely the eastern mythology concept from previous game, with very distinct artistic direction.
Mortal Kombat 3 - 7.5/10 - created a really nice duality with MKII, being the western face of MK, very industrial and unique too.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - 7/10 - same as above, though slightly clumsy with visuals.
Mortal Kombat Trilogy - 6/10 - MK3, if it was a mess, not a drop of artistic consistency or decency.
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero - 3/10 - pretty bad gameplay, almost unbearable, plus really bad enemy design.
Mortal Kombat 4 - 7.5/10 - good place for new characters, Shinnok, Quan Chi, Tanya and Fujin are all great.
Mortal Kombat Gold - 7.5/10 - same as above, and the new characters balanced the graphics downgrade.
Mortal Kombat Special Forces - 1/10 - REALLY bad gameplay, I never want to remember this experience again (unless we're redesigning the antagonists).
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance - 6.5/10 - alright for the 3D era start, introduction of Li Mei and Bo are a plus.
Mortal Kombat Deception - 9/10 - perfecting of the 3D era formula, very meditative and fun Konquest mode, introduction of Havik and Ashrah are a plus, also some iconic redesigns that still live today.
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks - 8.5/10 - in spite of not being canon, it's just really fucking fun, this game needs a reboot and FAST.
Mortal Kombat Armageddon - 7.5/10 - quite nice effort and great comebacks, but getting rid of fatalities was probably a huge mistake.
Mortal Kombat Vs DC - 2/10 - I'd rather not remember it, but I'm glad it existed and gave way to the rebirth of MK.
Mortal Kombat (aka 9, 2011) - 8/10 - a great reboot and revival of the series, and an alright start for the modern formula.
Mortal Kombat X - 9.5/10 - very good game, artistic direction raising to a new level, fun to play, slightly daring roster with 8 great new characters plus the return of great classics too.
Mortal Kombat 11 - 9/10 - step forward artistically, step back in the roster going back to a MKT/MK9 tired approach with very few (but good) new characters. The Krypt being the island is INSANE though, one of the best things ever in an MK game.

Matix218

Get over here!
Here are my ratings, N/A is stuff I never saw/played:

GAMES:
Mortal Kombat-5
Mortal Kombat 2-9
Mortal Kombat 3-6
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3-9
Mortal Kombat Trilogy-9
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero-6
Mortal Kombat 4-5
Mortal Kombat Gold-N/A
Mortal Kombat Special Forces-N/A
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance-6
Mortal Kombat Deception-8
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks-8
Mortal Kombat Armageddon-7
Mortal Kombat Vs DC-N/A
Mortal Kombat (aka 9, 2011)-9
Mortal Kombat X-7
Mortal Kombat 11-8

EXPANDED MULTI-MEDIA
Mortal Kombat The Journey Begins-2
Mortal Kombat (1995)-8
Mortal Kombat Defenders of the Realm-4
Mortal Kombat Annihilation-2
Mortal Kombat Conquest-6
Mortal Kombat Federation of Martial Arts-N/A
Mortal Kombat Rebirth-N/A
Mortal Kombat Legacy-6
Mortal Kombat Scorpion's Revenge-8

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
MK 1: 5/10
MK 2: 8/10
UMK3: 6/10
MKT on N64: 8.5/10 (first game I've ever played in my life, probable bias)
MK Gold: 4/10
MKDA: 6.5/10
MKD: 9.5/10 still play occasionally to this day, fun game modes, konquest was A1, revival of characters that were MIA for a while like Nightwolf, Sindel, Ermeezy. Probably favorite roster of any MK game with a great mix of new bloods, and some old heads. I measure every new game to this one. All time favorite MK game.
MKSM: 9.5/10 shit was soooo fucking fun and would love to see more titles like this
MKA: 7/10
MKvDC: 7/10 I didn't have too much time with this since the disc got fucked up
MK9: 9.5/10 Don't care how broke this game was, it was so much fun, which is what a game should be
MKX/XL: before netcode fix: 6/10. After 8/10. Mostly roster and offense being king in this brings it down for me
MK11: 5.5/10 I just cannot find this game fun, I only find myself logging in to this game if some friends wanna do a couple sets, or to see what's in the prem shop. I'll sometimes wanna play, but when I go into ToT without equipping a konsumable, or go into KL, I'm quickly reminded why I don't go on

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
How many times we have to discuss which is the best? Result is fucking same everytime. MK9 and UMK3/MKT are the best. Because New generation mk players and characters are suck.

Art Lean

Noob
How many times we have to discuss which is the best? Result is fucking same everytime. MK9 and UMK3/MKT are the best. Because New generation mk players and characters are suck.
It wasn't actually about seeing "which is the best" otherwise I'd have asked people to rank stuff. I was simply curious about what people liked and didn't like, especially to see if anyone had any real unique choices like being a massive fan of Special Forces or Defenders of the Realm, hence why I wanted to cover the whole franchise.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
It's hard to rate these games. I think they should be rated based on what the competitor games in the genre were at the time. Think about all the garbage MK clones other companies released trying to profit off MK's insane success. My ratings will be a time and place thing, not what you'd rate them if they released today...

Mortal Kombat: 7.5
Mortal Kombat 2: 10
Mortal Kombat 3: 8
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3: 10
Mortal Kombat Trilogy: 8.5
Mortal Kombat 4: 6
Mortal Kombat Gold: 6
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance: 6.5
Mortal Kombat Deception: 6.5
Mortal Kombat Armageddon: 6.5
Mortal Kombat Vs DC: 5
Mortal Kombat 9: 11