What's new

Rare Mortal Kombat II EGM 'Supplemental" Issue

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Most all of us gamers are familiar with the magazine "Electronic Gaming Monthly." Well, I just picked up what I consider a really rare (never seen before by my eyes) 'supplemental' issue regarding all the moves and info for half the characters in MK2. The other half was probably in a following month's issue. What I mean by 'supplemental' issue is that this thing was included with the package that the EGM magazine came in. It's only got 19 pages. I scanned them all to share with you all. Have any of you ever seen or came across this?....

Attachments

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
This is before my time but really cool. Do you know if these were hard to get? I ask because I thought one of the big things with MK was that you had to figure these things out (Obviously not exactly the case) and they just spread by word of mouth. Thanks for sharing.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
I had either this or something similar to it and used to draw flip book fatality animations based on the still frames lol. Thanks for posting!

Sort of related, but I could have sworn that one of the major magazine publishers posted a matchup chart in their MKII guide. Anyone familiar with it or know if I'm totally making that up?

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
This is before my time but really cool. Do you know if these were hard to get? I ask because I thought one of the big things with MK was that you had to figure these things out (Obviously not exactly the case) and they just spread by word of mouth. Thanks for sharing.

Pretty much after the original mortal Kombat thwy knew they had a gold mine and wanted to out do themselves with the second one and make it know somewhat.

They realized that the gore, fatalities, and whatnot were a big draw in the early/mid 90's because of the press it was getting from the government hearings and the ESRB.

I guess it made more sense to put this stuff out there and say, "Hey, you can end your opponents life this way and that way and oh that way too"

And plus magazines were the only real marketing back then. I remember getting excited to go grocery shopping and picking up a new issue of EGM to see what games were coming out and the previews.

The hype was better then because you just didn't know what to expect from a game. Nowadays the story is all but told before the game comes out and spoils the surprise.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I had either this or something similar to it and used to draw flip book fatality animations based on the still frames lol. Thanks for posting!

Sort of related, but I could have sworn that one of the major magazine publishers posted a matchup chart in their MKII guide. Anyone familiar with it or know if I'm totally making that up?
MK9's Prima guide had a MU chart included.

I remember solely because it suggested Jade was top tier, lol.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I actually still have this issue somewhere in my old room at the farm. It came packaged with that month's EGM.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Pretty much after the original mortal Kombat thwy knew they had a gold mine and wanted to out do themselves with the second one and make it know somewhat.

They realized that the gore, fatalities, and whatnot were a big draw in the early/mid 90's because of the press it was getting from the government hearings and the ESRB.

I guess it made more sense to put this stuff out there and say, "Hey, you can end your opponents life this way and that way and oh that way too"

And plus magazines were the only real marketing back then. I remember getting excited to go grocery shopping and picking up a new issue of EGM to see what games were coming out and the previews.

The hype was better then because you just didn't know what to expect from a game. Nowadays the story is all but told before the game comes out and spoils the surprise.
Yeah it does suck that pretty much everything and anything gets known about a game. I know some devs try to hide certain things or won't talk about certain aspects for that very reason. E3 got me hyped but in a couple months I'm going to have to stay away from any game news or spoil everything for me. Movies are the worst though.

E

Eldriken

Man, this really makes me miss the days when I looked forward to going to the store to check out all the new magazines. It was a thrill to see 3-4 new magazines for the month and all the new info for upcoming games.

I especially remember getting super, super hype whenever Mass Effect and Gears of War were going to be coming out.

But nothing compared to the days of MK related stuff in magazines. I miss my childhood. =/

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
raidens Teleport D,F???? little error hehe
i actually miss these days too it was actually worth buying a new magazine back then. And man these pics were the shit for me as a kid

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
MK2 was my first and best MK game in my heart. No other MK ever felt like this one. Not even MKX feels as bad ass as MK2 imo. Maybe it was the digital graphics and my nostalgia glasses lol.

But when is MK2 HD remake though?