What's new

Raphael General Discussion: "Getting Hype!"

Superman: 4-6: The mind games with parry is in Superman's favor, and he out-damages us. His MB laser punishes turtling every time, so he can actually zone in this MU. No getting hype.
Actually just got done playing a super long set with an average player. My 2-hour supergirl was wrecking his characters, then I switched to Raph for fun and he switched to Superman. It was brutal. He only caught me with the sweep laser mb like twice and he still out neutraled me all over. F2 beats b2. Even on a whiffed f2, the 3 will usually beat b2 from raph. The parry mind games got nuts too. Low laser or f3 will punish a parry reversal on f23trait. Very risky.

Basically I was successful when timing mbroll and going nuts on an opening. Just had to take huge risks to get anywhere. I would say, of course ONLY based on the hour or so I played of supesvraph, that 4-6 is... high haha. Again mind you this was an average player, so if your experiences have been different then yeehaw.

Green Lantern: 4-6: Lantern out-neutrals Raphael, has great buttons after B2 on block. Doesn't care about parry because he's gonna use b1 the whole match. Actually zones Raphael out decently, and Raph doesn't have very good options on Oki against him. It's winnable, but in Green Lantern's favor granted he doesn't have to play the mind games Raphael has to play.
I have to agree with this one. Raph gets tons of bar if they decide to zone but b1 will keep you in check. Forget that you have a parry. Also, if you get too familiar with it, wakeup lift can punish both get hype and oki bombshell. Not unwinnable by any means but not in raphs favor.

Also, played a good wowo and you might as well consider it unwinnable. Don't even attempt it. Wonder woman shuts down anyone without SOME full screen presence so put raph on the list. If you win it's through lucky parries and mix.

Make him not lose all the Hype bars on trait whiff (Make him lose one hype level only). Allow him to cancel parry into the trait. Make him earn one Hype level every time He hits an opponent (combo doesn't increase hype level or blocking it). Increase hit advantage a little from d2 to allow easier d2 into b3 conversions. With these quality of life buffs He would be very viable. and He would still have his weakness. (Zoning). But He would be able to fight back at least.

Last edited:

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Make him not lose all the Hype bars on trait whiff (Make him lose one hype level only). Allow him to cancel parry into the trait. Make him earn one Hype level every time He hits an opponent (combo doesn't increase hype level or blocking it). Increase hit advantage a little from d2 to allow easier d2 into b3 conversions. With these quality of life buffs He would be very viable. and He would still have his weakness. (Zoning). But He would be able to fight back at least.
They should just make his trait like catwomans’ trait I always felt.

Wouldn't he just be a worse version of catwoman then? :p

Looking back at it, tmnt is kinda like mkx variations where they have some universal tools but usually one shines above the others cuz of the toolset. Leo and mikey are clearly above raph and donnie.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Ideally, they would also change it so that if they clash at an earlier stage of the trait combo then you keep the charges for the unused levels, but that's probably OD. I honestly just want them to increase the damage for that trait, make it not scale so heavily for the final two hype charges especially.

Ideally, they would also change it so that if they clash at an earlier stage of the trait combo then you keep the charges for the unused levels, but that's probably OD. I honestly just want them to increase the damage for that trait, make it not scale so heavily for the final two hype charges especially.
YES. It needs to do more damage. I don't really see a reason to actually use all 5 hype. Pretty sure I'm not in the minority here in gaining 5, using 3, then after 2 b3s getting hype again to bump up to 3. The damage incentive is pitiful. If lvl5 made it so they couldn't air escape that would be worth it :p

AkioOf100

I play Raph
level 5 generally is used to get a lot of unclashable damage imo.

furthermore I believe he needs way more than trait buffs. His d1 is by far the worst in the game. He gets pressured way too hard and his pressure is escaped way too easily by some characters.

I’d probably speed up B23 so it can break armor AND change the buttons to B2D3 so he can get an option select for shell drop or something like that. B2 is way too hard to hit confirm for a character like Raphael and it makes his Matchups suck.

Skedar70

Noob
He needs a total rework. Not only are his tools sub par low tier he also has a really wonky hit box that makes combos unreliable. Not only that, he can't poke back because his d1 has terrible reach, speed and hitbox and his buttons are slow or highs. His jump ins are terrible the only one usable is ji3. Unlike the rest of the cast when you try to jump in at a good range but you actually whiff and get punished. This just makes getting in on zoners a frustrating experience. His trait is super risky to charge and you receive poor rewards for even trying. Even once you have it charged, its super easy to avoid and bang you just wasted the whole effort a didn't get shit in return. He is the worse character in the game by far. I dropped him and Donnie a while ago and am learning Leo now. Leo is way better but he is really hard to use effectively.

Skedar70

Noob
Some suggestions for Raph.

Since his neutral is so bad at least make it worth it once he gets in

1. Make a get hype charge two sais (mb charges 3)
2. Allow get hype to be cancelled into turtling. Same way he can cancel into parry.
3. Decrease the damage scaling of his trait combos so he actually gets worthy damage from it.
4. Make 21U3 +1 or +2 on block.
5. Make d1 hitbox more consistent.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
So I don't know if this will help anybody but it has helped me immensely on not dropping D2,b3 after your Shell drop watch raph the second you see him stand hit D2 then immediately hit B3 using this I have about a 98% on not dropping his combos

So I don't know if this will help anybody but it has helped me immensely on not dropping D2,b3 after your Shell drop watch raph the second you see him stand hit D2 then immediately hit B3 using this I have about a 98% on not dropping his combos
Gonna try this. Has been so hard to nail this.

Whats the benefit of using 21U3? Feel like it is a weak string.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Gonna try this. Has been so hard to nail this.

Whats the benefit of using 21U3? Feel like it is a weak string.
It's a hard knock down so they can't roll out of pressure one of my favorite things to do is with that string is mix them up on knockdown if you do the closed Shell drop or normal shell drop for cross ups Raphael is not a good character but he does have some shining moments lol