What's new

Tech Rain's Vortex

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
We all know that scorpion is considered a very risky character based not only on his ability to make you guess, but also the ability to make you guess again thus making a never ending vortex if the scorpion always guesses right. I think we should consider rains RH cancel pressure a vortex of its own. I'll list the reasons why.
1-If i start RH pressure you are made to guess if im gonna keep doing the pressure, let the RH fly, Do a high low mixup, throw, or any number of other options.
2-If you guess wrong and get hit by a RH i can put you right back in the same situation by doing the combo off the RH-2-43lightning-bubble.
3-With Rains high damage output and the ability to be safe throughout this pressure makes his vortex less risky than scorpions while still greatly challenging for the opponent to deal with.
I know its not truly a "vortex" but with three guesses and also Rain's ability to drain meter with Ex-bubble (which i will have after all the RH pressure) Rain is insanely deadly if you can perpetuate this.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Rain has a lot of potential here.

The upside is that Rain can safely net damage in comparison to Scorpion, as one of his launchers is 100% safe on block, and sets up a really solid position for footsies right after. The downside is, unlike Scorpion, Rain can be vulnerable to armor after his reset.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
He doesnt have fast low/overhead mixups which lead to 40%+ vortex forcing them to properly guess each time, you really rely on catching them with a combo before the "vortex" will start, and you do drop a good portion of damage to end in bubbles.

You can however get a few setups where if you do the blockstring into roundhouse > catch them > combo into EX Bubble and have build back almost the whole bar you used, and put them back into the situation, which is pretty nice when they are able to armour out and/or breaker.

It's a pressure tool no more no less. By such definitions you would be claiming that jax and Kabal, etc. also have a vortex based on their pressure cancel tools.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
There are a couple things you guys are taking into account with this. First off is the ability to make it a never ending cycle that is a guessing game. Anyone, even myself, who goes against a really good rain hates to be caught in the pressure game cause it is extremely difficult to get out of. Secondly, even if you are sacrificing damage you are making it up in a lot more beneficial ways. You do less actual damage giving the opponent less meter because they gain meter the more you hit them. You are gaining meter while doing your blockstrings and cancels, and lastly you are doing enormous amounts of chip damage which can also be mixed up into a throw to make up for the damage you didnt convert in a non-bubble ending combo. Overall i see this as a win win mainly because of the meter aspects. Rain lives off meter and the ability to keep your opponent from having meter options to get out allows rain to pressure almost freely with little ramifications.
The reason this is even better than Jax and Kabal is that you are safe throughout the pressure and even if you let the RH fly. With Kabal and Jax, just like scorpion, if you guess wrong you are getting full combo punished.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
I I'm really glad you made this post man, I think rains pressure is one of the best in the game. You really have to be careful about how you get out of rains pressure, if you try poke out, or jump right away a good rain player is going to blow you up with a RH, takeing almost 40% and putting you right back in his face. His standing 4 is also only 10 frames as well so if you wake up with sometime slow your going to get kicked lol and have to guess agian.
Rain bulids meter like a champ too, if you decide you just gonna take the pressure it only takes 4, 4,3 RH stings to bulid a bar of metter and he can grab, or use his back 2, 3 ( witch hits low ) string to get you to try and do something

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
BUMP to top of forum. Will add more talk into this.

This will mainly delve into the new types of continued offense that i have found effective, not just the old bubble drops. I will also discuss rains corner game which i believe is top 10 in the game after characters like sub, jax, cage, sonya, sektor, etc

Honestly, I like to do no more then 3 RHC's and then GTFO. And I mostly let it rip on the first one so the throw actually happens when I want it to. RHC pressure can be risky. You can easily get crossed up and combod, or worse, hit with an armored starter. Not only that, but some D3's will make you whiff your RH even IF you let it go with no delay.

I think Rain plays better defense and footsies then rushdown/pressure. B21+2 whiff punishing all day. And of course, Rain has great AA's. And lately, I'm really digging EXRHC~Lightning to counter recovery heavy projectiles.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
There have been matches where I just my opponent never gets a breaker because they are stuck in my Rain's vortex the whole entire round and I keep guessing right and hitting them with EX bubble everytime I guess right. I get meter from RH cancels and I take their meter with EX bubble. Rain can be very dominant and control matches certain matches with his "vortex" combined with his high damage

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
There have been matches where I just my opponent never gets a breaker because they are stuck in my Rain's vortex the whole entire round and I keep guessing right and hitting them with EX bubble everytime I guess right. I get meter from RH cancels and I take their meter with EX bubble. Rain can be very dominant and control matches certain matches with his "vortex" combined with his high damage
Hell yeah pimp that's exactly how I play Rain now. I just keep draining their meter and reseting them with the bubble. The only time I bust out a max damage bnb is if I'm trying to finish him off. Just like Scorpion's vortex if your opponent guesses wrong once or twice he's dead. The thing I like about Rain's "vortex" is you can not only drain meter but if Rain guesses wrong he's totally safe.

People that know how to armor out just as they land from the bubble drop only change the situation minimally. If I think they'll try to armor or xray when they land I just dash back, nip or jump over to whiff punish or just hold block and resume pressure.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
if u do a throw or anything like that tho, their out of ur vortex then arent they?

i really need to learn the Rain mu better....any rains interested in giving me some fights? lol

Axel_Redd

He doesnt have one. The overhead low mixup would be off of b2 but its pretty easy to fuzzy the mixup.
b23 isn't easy to fuzzy its way too damn fast, and the opponent shouldn't bother guarding the low when the over head is the one that will launch.

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
when did rain get a low combo starter?
The guessing game isn't high/low, it's when to poke or armor out of Rain's pressure. When the opponent drops from the bubble you reset them with B2RHC into a guessing game of when to poke or armor out.
b23 isn't easy to fuzzy its way too damn fast, and the opponent shouldn't bother guarding the low when the over head is the one that will launch.
Yeah the only time you would use B2,3 when reseting is if you thought the opponent was going to try to armor in between B2 and the RH. That's only gonna happen against people who really understand the mu though, most people don't even know you can armor in between B2(5frames)RH, 4(5frames)RH,4,3(5frames)RH. B2,3 is the natural counter because it has no gaps so the opponent will experience meter drain plus an additional 9% damage. I'm in the middle of moving right now but I'll totally run some matches with you and breakdown everything when I get settled in my new crib. Send me a friend request at Psn: Reno_Racks or XBL: RenoRacks

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The guessing game isn't high/low, it's when to poke or armor out of Rain's pressure. When the opponent drops from the bubble you reset them with B2RHC into a guessing game of when to poke or armor out.
Yeah the only time you would use B2,3 when reseting is if you thought the opponent was going to try to armor in between B2 and the RH. That's only gonna happen against people who really understand the mu though, most people don't even know you can armor in between B2(5frames)RH, 4(5frames)RH,4,3(5frames)RH. B2,3 is the natural counter because it has no gaps so the opponent will experience meter drain plus an additional 9% damage. I'm in the middle of moving right now but I'll totally run some matches with you and breakdown everything when I get settled in my new crib. Send me a friend request at Psn: Reno_Racks or XBL: RenoRacks
LOL... there is no guess..... i'd rather eat 5 revolutions of the rh cancel then attempt to "guess" out of it.
The only time to actually attempt this is in casuals.... or if i'm going to die after just a few revs.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
You block low and since the 3 of b23 is a lot faster than the 1+2 then you just let go of down once you see the low didnt come out. Its that easy.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
LOL... there is no guess..... i'd rather eat 5 revolutions of the rh cancel then attempt to "guess" out of it.
The only time to actually attempt this is in casuals.... or if i'm going to die after just a few revs.
Ill gladly take that bar of meter. Once i notice you just blocking for eternity i can just pressure you until you either poke armor or jump or just throw for some quick damage.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Ill gladly take that bar of meter. Once i notice you just blocking for eternity i can just pressure you until you either poke armor or jump or just throw for some quick damage.
you'll never convince yourself that i'm going to not block forever.
I've never EVER seen a single rain.... in a tourney... do more than 4 revolutions of either 4,3 RH or 4 RH.

Now if you're talking about long sets.... then yeah. After awhile you start to pick up patterns and such.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
you'll never convince yourself that i'm going to not block forever.
I've never EVER seen a single rain.... in a tourney... do more than 4 revolutions of either 4,3 RH or 4 RH.

Now if you're talking about long sets.... then yeah. After awhile you start to pick up patterns and such.
My first set of pressure i almost always pressure until i see how they deal with it. If they poke out im more inclined to keep trying to pressure. If they jump out then i get more cautious with it. It wont take longer than a match to figure out how a person deals with rains RH pressure.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
even if you don't poke out of Rain's pressure it's still good. 3 43 RH cancels plus the RH is a full bar of meter plus about 12% chip. and 6 4RH, or 2 RH cancels is the same. so you're not gonna poke out? I'll grab you, extra 12% on top of my bar of meter and 12% chip. but IMO it's best to take some chip then eat a RH for almost 40%

Axel_Redd

kthx :). i really need to learn this matchup....and with cyrax shitting out new tech left n right these days i need to be playin against him too x-x

btw i know u can armor out....the delay is obvious.