What's new

Video/Tutorial Rains poking game

Flagg

Noob
4 > 3

The only time the frame difference matters if for interupting, not counterpoking.

4RH is only interuptable by armour, has a bigger verticle and horizontal hitbox (cant just jump it), still crushes alot of D3s.

Rains pokes are so shitty, but his standing normals are pretty godlike, so he has nearly no use for the low pokes, except D4.
I keep gravitating to Rain because he reminds me of CSZ. Terrible down pokes (except for D3) but decent standing normals.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Thank you for understanding the concept. The simple fact that you shouldnt use Rains pokes makes him a deadly character, it becomes a game of RH guesses, if the opponent pokes back you can armour the followup. You cant rush down Rain, and ALOT of characters cant play their normal poking game against him, since he crushes d3s and can armour after a D1 on hit.
How quickly did you "figure" out this kinda thing?
You tend to see stuff like this very quickly.... or you simply play until you do. Im super curious about it.

You always seem to confirm my .... suspicions about certain characters.

Lulzlou

Noob
D1 into specials aren't really useful
D1 usually has a cancel advantage on block of +1 and d3's are +2. That pretty much means a d1 linked into a special with 20frames of start up has a 19frame game to poke out of it. A lot of people have trouble counterpoking and punishing d1's so its good against those kind of players. Its not really worth doing at the highest level of play since you will be punished hard for it depending on the character you have to fight. If you get your opponent respecting your pokes then why link it into a special? Its a decent gimmick for most of the cast but don't expect to get away with it multiple times.

D4's are pretty much the only low poke you should be linking specials with since the cancel advantage on block is around 26 for most characters.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
How quickly did you "figure" out this kinda thing?
You tend to see stuff like this very quickly.... or you simply play until you do. Im super curious about it.

You always seem to confirm my .... suspicions about certain characters.
Maybe a couple months after Rain was released.
Whenever I first put my head down and started to look at him.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
D1 usually has a cancel advantage on block of +1 and d3's are +2. That pretty much means a d1 linked into a special with 20frames of start up has a 19frame game to poke out of it. A lot of people have trouble counterpoking and punishing d1's so its good against those kind of players. Its not really worth doing at the highest level of play since you will be punished hard for it depending on the character you have to fight. If you get your opponent respecting your pokes then why link it into a special? Its a decent gimmick for most of the cast but don't expect to get away with it multiple times.

D4's are pretty much the only low poke you should be linking specials with since the cancel advantage on block is around 26 for most characters.
not entirely true.... because there is slight pushback on pokes.... only at point blank can most people "punish" a blocked poke because the recovery is so fast.
Even at the highest level of play... where people simply walk away from blocked pokes rather than try and blow them up every time.

Lets just say... i've only seen a handful of legit punishes in the top 8 of high level play. Which proves you being right. But it doesn't happen often.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?

The point of this is also in interrupting pressure. Most times people arent gonna sit on their pressure to wait for a d1 especially against rain cause they are more worried about armor. In this case it gives me a meterless escape that is very hard to react to in high pressure situations. Even if they block the water gun at least i created space and then now im only at -2 and im in the range rain wants to be. I only use it when i dont wanna go for my armor or think armor is too readable.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The point of this is also in interrupting pressure. Most times people arent gonna sit on their pressure to wait for a d1 especially against rain cause they are more worried about armor. In this case it gives me a meterless escape that is very hard to react to in high pressure situations. Even if they block the water gun at least i created space and then now im only at -2 and im in the range rain wants to be. I only use it when i dont wanna go for my armor or think armor is too readable.
I think d1~safespecial is the PERFECT pressure interruption. Most people dial in their poke-to-blockstring and will eat the d1 AND the special. Best point towards this thing i've heard so far.

Lulzlou

Noob
not entirely true.... because there is slight pushback on pokes.... only at point blank can most people "punish" a blocked poke because the recovery is so fast.
Even at the highest level of play... where people simply walk away from blocked pokes rather than try and blow them up every time.

Lets just say... i've only seen a handful of legit punishes in the top 8 of high level play. Which proves you being right. But it doesn't happen often.
You are right on the push back part but it is still very risky depending on the situation. You should always test your opponent after poke to see how they react to them. I didn't mean to sound like it was completely useless. I even use d1 at max range and d1 into kabals hookswords for even more pushback. A lot of characters have it very situational. No point in not using it if it works though.

My fault, a lot of the things are in a Kabal's perspective. If I think you are going to poke out of pressure then most of the time I'll block low and punish with a F4 instead of just letting the dash go or go into a 50/50.