What's new

Video/Tutorial Rains poking game

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
So here is a video by REO about using rains mid hitting normals in the poke game. He makes a lot of good points but 4RH should take over 3RH for all of the stuff he is talking about cause it is overall better in every way other than being just 1 frame slower. This is a solution for the problems rain has in counterpoking and relying way too much on armor up close. I will also talk about some other things i use here to help us gather more knowledge on the up close battle.

D1-Water gun (the meterless escape)
Rains d1 is decent. It has speed and a good hitbox but like all d1's it really doesnt grant enough advantage (+1) and is full punishable on block by fast mids. So what ive been using to get out of pressure lately is d1 water gun. It works pretty decent in my experience so far. Water gun is only -2 if they block it and it pushes back. Very useful to get out of pressure like cage without meter. You can also use things like d3-geyser but this is more risky especially if they block it.

Using rains shitty d3
I actually love using this poke no matter how much i talk shit about it. -2 on hit but it has some interesting things since its tied to rain. It has really good reach. I use this along with b23 to get a TON of my first hit bonuses. It is also pretty good at lowering rains hitbox to make crossups whiff. You have to get the timing down but its very necessary cause crossing up is a huge weakness for rain at times.

D4 (If only it had more range)
This poke is really rather interesting. It has pretty abysmal range and overall i dont use it a ton. I do like it to mix up the pressure game cause its +3 on block when cancelled (4 becomes 7 frames) and +9 on hit (almost free grab or free 43). I love using it out of the bubble drops for a grab setup.
It is also good to let the RH go off of this poke cause a lot of people arent used to it being linked into RH without cancelling.

Anyway, thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Really awesome ideas, I haven't seen this done before actually in terms of a counterpoke set ups, I'm a big fan of those with characters so it's nice to see this topic getting a lot of focus.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Did you guys know that you can't neutral duck the Water Gun in D4 xx Water Gun?

Roundhouse cancel is probably better, but it's neat to know!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Doesn't 3 hit hurtbox-lowering moves more reliably than 4?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Doesn't 3 hit hurtbox-lowering moves more reliably than 4?
Against some characters it can. That shouldnt matter here unless they are using multiple d3s over and over. 4 crushes a lot of d3s cause it brings rains foot up and also can at times cosider him airborne.

Brownie

Stay Wet <3
This is awesome but Rain still has a lot of holes in his offense. Anyone can armour between any of his round house pokes whether he lets it go or cancels it. He is really good if you are playing someone who doesn't know the match up but if they do... Good luck. Rain is in no way a bad character he just has problems.

Edit: Rains d3 is +5 if it hits crouching so it can be used to counter poke if your reactions are on point and your ballsy. lol

Deftonesrc

Electrical Engineering bitch!
I like it! I will have to test your tech out as well, I really like rain. He's a lot of fun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
F0xy Grampa says use 4RH as a poke instead of d1 or d3 - Gets blown up by the entire community
REO says use 3RH as a poke - Genius.

This is awesome but Rain still has a lot of holes in his offense. Anyone can armour between any of his round house pokes whether he lets it go or cancels it. He is really good if you are playing someone who doesn't know the match up but if they do... Good luck. Rain is in no way a bad character he just has problems.

Edit: Rains d3 is +5 if it hits crouching so it can be used to counter poke if your reactions are on point and your ballsy. lol
Yeah but you can also armour:

- Cage frame traps
- Baraka frame traps
- Sonya MS Mixups
- Shang GS pressure
- Kabal NDCs

Its not that good of an arguement. The point is if you expect armour to Ex RH, make them waste a bar and get 48% + at the same time.

Rain gets 45% off a naked roundhouse, the other characters listed get barely anything from their options in comparison.

Really awesome ideas, I haven't seen this done before actually in terms of a counterpoke set ups, I'm a big fan of those with characters so it's nice to see this topic getting a lot of focus.
Are you serious?

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
Please use 3RH sparingly as it is interruptible on block by every character, no armour/pokes needed, they can just combo punish your ass.

Edit; Use 3,3 and hit/block confirm bubble/4.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Please use 3RH sparingly as it is interruptible on block by every character, no armour/pokes needed, they can just combo punish your ass.
Theres no point in using 3 RH in a counterpoke situation, because the opponent is expecting a poke, so 4RH will work, unless the opponent is a god and can react within 4 frames difference.

3RH is strictly for interupting pressure, not counterpoking. Use it against Cage/Kabal/Anybody with 9f or slower moves.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Theres no point in using 3 RH in a counterpoke situation, because the opponent is expecting a poke, so 4RH will work, unless the opponent is a god and can react within 4 frames difference.

3RH is strictly for interupting pressure, not counterpoking. Use it against Cage/Kabal/Anybody with 9f or slower moves.
Foxy are you on twitter?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Foxy is proof that 4~RH works for pokes. Little risk, insane reward when done properly. Rains positioning afterwards is a mind game as well. Sure you can choose to go for a poke (long range d4) to interupt rains pressure after a blocked round house, but if rain walks backwards, he is going to blow you up for 48 percent on the whiff punish.

If you start respecting that, then Rain starts to walk over you with his pressure. Moving backwards is really the only way out, but if Rain has a life lead, he knows you have to come in at some point/attempt to zone him out.

It's really interesting when you break it down. I need to start thinking and doing whiff punishes/setups more in my matches.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Foxy is proof that 4~RH works for pokes. Little risk, insane reward when done properly. Rains positioning afterwards is a mind game as well. Sure you can choose to go for a poke (long range d4) to interupt rains pressure after a blocked round house, but if rain walks backwards, he is going to blow you up for 48 percent on the whiff punish.

If you start respecting that, then Rain starts to walk over you with his pressure. Moving backwards is really the only way out, but if Rain has a life lead, he knows you have to come in at some point/attempt to zone him out.

It's really interesting when you break it down. I need to start thinking and doing whiff punishes/setups more in my matches.
Thank you for understanding the concept. The simple fact that you shouldnt use Rains pokes makes him a deadly character, it becomes a game of RH guesses, if the opponent pokes back you can armour the followup. You cant rush down Rain, and ALOT of characters cant play their normal poking game against him, since he crushes d3s and can armour after a D1 on hit.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
F0xy Grampa says use 4RH as a poke instead of d1 or d3 - Gets blown up by the entire community
REO says use 3RH as a poke - Genius.
We've been over this. You didn't post a video, silly. Nobody actually READS posts with numbers and -/+ signs; they just reply and disagree. :)

Flagg

Noob
First thing I do when I think about a new character is look at the speed of their normals in the frame data.

I knew his standing 3 was 9 frames, but didn't realise how much better it was than his down pokes. In comparison his 4 is only one frame slower, but sometimes that can be a big thing. 4 has greater range, but up close, wouldn't 3 be a bit more viable?

It's funny how his standing normals are better than his ducking ones. You can hit confirm B2 into most of his specials. This also has quite a bit of advancing range.

We've been over this. You didn't post a video, silly. Nobody actually READS posts with numbers and -/+ signs; they just reply and disagree. :)
Lol that's like saying "READIN'S FER GHEYS," but unfortunately I imagine there's likely a granule of truth to your statement around these parts :(.

doesnt standing 3 also have pretty bad vertical hitbox? like if you block their d1/d3 cant they cross you over for trying to do 3rh?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
First thing I do when I think about a new character is look at the speed of their normals in the frame data.

I knew his standing 3 was 9 frames, but didn't realise how much better it was than his down pokes. In comparison his 4 is only one frame slower, but sometimes that can be a big thing. 4 has greater range, but up close, wouldn't 3 be a bit more viable?

It's funny how his standing normals are better than his ducking ones. You can hit confirm B2 into most of his specials. This also has quite a bit of advancing range.
4 > 3

The only time the frame difference matters if for interupting, not counterpoking.

4RH is only interuptable by armour, has a bigger verticle and horizontal hitbox (cant just jump it), still crushes alot of D3s.

Rains pokes are so shitty, but his standing normals are pretty godlike, so he has nearly no use for the low pokes, except D4.