What's new

Rain's Custom Limitations, and Suggestions to Fix Them

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
So, Ultimate has been out and I'm sure we can all agree that the majority of his custom moves are lacking compared to his other options.

First off, no, he is not bottom 5 nor is he "bad," but he does have issues, the biggest being the variation system since it severely limits the Rain Player's options

Rain's best punisher is his 133 and there is only one move, geyser palm, that allows a full combo punish off of it. This move is also Rain's most damage combo ender. Rain's other custom moves such as Water Bubble only allow it in the corner, and moves such as quantum slice replace valuable assets like Argus Plunge, which is his armor break. The trade off is that you get a safe KB launcher when equipped with Quantum Rift that is essentially "checkmate" if Rain has Fatal Blow or the opponent has no breakaway.

This brings me to Edenian force and how powerful it is with Quantum Slice, being a very strong zoning and runaway tool that still triggers the KB when the conditions are met. However, despite being safe on amplify, Quantum slice is a move with very slow startup, high, and once again it forces the player to equip both Quantum Rift and Edenian Force to make the best use of it.

So what about Rain's two slot moves like Water Bubble and Purple Pain? Water Bubble is honestly very good, until you realize it's a high that can't be made safe unlike the move it replaces: Katar Toss. Water Bubble also disappears if Rain is hit during the animation so you can't count on trades unless the water bubble has already made contact. With no Katar Toss, so the Rain player must make the decision to equip Quantum Rift to possibly win trades, or Tidal Wave to cover flawless block gaps and maintain the poke mind game that Katar Toss enforces.

Purple Pain on the other hand is meant to be a setup tool but it's startup and travel speed are too poor, preventing practical setups and sacrificing Rain's already mediocre damage. So for two slots, you're left with a move that goes away on hit, is too slow, and most characters can simply just walk back to avoid it entirely. But hey, at least the lightning changes colors based on the skin you're using.

Lastly, is Rain's Hydroboost. This move does so much for Rain at the cost of replacing his signature Super Kick. Not only does this move keep the opponent on the same side, but it also sets up pressure on block and leads to Rain's highest damage on hit, especially in the corner. There is basically no reason not to use this move which makes keeping Rain's Super Kick on pointless, other than the nostalgia/swag factor.

So what can be done?

Honestly it's not Rain's base kit that needs a lot of changes, other than some hitbox issues and minor damage scaling. Instead, NRS should focus on improving Rain's custom special moves, to encourage more options in his loadouts.

I suggest NRS consider the following changes:

• Less scaling on Super Kick to make the damage more in line with Hydroboost
  • Allow Water Bubble to combo from 133 to give the string another combo option besides Geyser Palm.
  • Water Bubble No Longer goes away on hit, this would allow Rain to dash up for a combo on a trade or use another water bubble to bring the opponent to him at the cost of a bar.
  • Allow Rain to combo off the non amplified version of Purple Pain
  • Reduce the time it takes for the lightning bolt to strike on the non-amplified version and amplified version of Purple Pain
  • Increase the hit advantage of Riptide (+4 to +10), reduce the startup to combo more consistently, and lower the knockback on hit to allow Rain to somewhat take advantage of this move mid-screen.
  • Increase the damage of Riptide slightly to justify it as a combo ender.
  • Reduce the startup slightly on Quantum Slice to combo more easily on opponents in a juggled state.
  • Hydroplane becomes more safe the longer it is held.
  • Bonus: Unban Wavedash and make the cost of activation one defense and offensive bar.
I personally think these changes will help Rain's limitations from custom moves, and will encourage more loadout experimentation and diversity, but I'm curious what you all think.

WA-Finest

>>WILL SLIDE IN NEUTRAL<<
I think making Hydroplane safe the longer it's held just makes sense. You can't really just be spending all of your meter on cancelling it which I think makes it more often a gamble in the opponent's favor than Rain's. It's just a difficult move to use and Rain can't hit confirm off of his best moves to use at that spacing, B1 and F2. My understanding is usually this move just gives you a reset to neutral when you cancel it, which really just makes it a worse version of Johnny's Rising Star.

I think Bubble should definitely get a buff because at 2 slots the move is just not useful enough to take over any of his two other better moves. It doesn't have to combo but it should at the very least be a mid so that he can mixup with his 133 somewhat. It being unsafe makes sense, but not for a high and the fact that your opponent can breakaway from the amplify which wastes your meter and you don't even get the opportunity to D2.

Quantum Slice I feel like is also being shafted because the grounded version is just difficult to work with for seemingly no reason. Making it a mid mid would make it a more fun pseudo-safe mixup where your opponent will have to guess whether you are going to amplify to punish. I also think it should work as a combo ender because you get great hit advantage and positioning on it if it does land.

It's been a while since I played Rain though so maybe some of the things I mentioned have already been changed?

Wigy

There it is...
Agree with all suggestions

It would be good if he got some oki off a grab as well. Hes quite reliant on grabs

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Just my two cents

This brings me to Edenian force and how powerful it is with Quantum Slice, being a very strong zoning and runaway tool that still triggers the KB when the conditions are met. However, despite being safe on amplify, Quantum slice is a move with very slow startup, high, and once again it forces the player to equip both Quantum Rift and Edenian Force to make the best use of it.
From my experience the problems I have with this move (besides those outlined by you) is that at 24f startup it's react-able. Therefore there's no point in trying to work it into any sort of pseudo-mix because it's slower than any other option Rain has AND is a high anyway (so ppl can just take their turn with a poke and duck the slice). Not to mention the fact that the AMP slice will straight whiff on crouch blocking opponents because of the way it's angled so far upwards. I think in addition to making the grounded version faster on startup (air version is just fine) I'd like to see the AMP slice have an increased hit box so it doesn't whiff as easily.

Increase the hit advantage of Riptide (+4 to +10), reduce the startup to combo more consistently, and lower the knockback on hit to allow Rain to somewhat take advantage of this move mid-screen.
Increase the damage of Riptide slightly to justify it as a combo ender.
I think these are valid suggestions, but I wonder if increasing the hit advantage that much will align with NRS's current vision for re-stands. I don't think there's a single restand in this game that's more than +5 (correct me if I'm wrong though) because NRS clearly wants there to be this mind game of jailing into pokes and conditioning ppl to respect mids (which can then be poked out of, so on and so forth). I think lowering the knock back and giving it more damage are good suggestions though.

Lastly, is Rain's Hydroboost. This move does so much for Rain at the cost of replacing his signature Super Kick. Not only does this move keep the opponent on the same side, but it also sets up pressure on block and leads to Rain's highest damage on hit, especially in the corner. There is basically no reason not to use this move which makes keeping Rain's Super Kick on pointless, other than the nostalgia/swag factor.
Just to supplement at bit. Hydroboost pressure on block is a gimmick. I think there are only 3 characters in the game that can get jailed into a jump normal because of their large hurt-boxes, and if you choose to do that you end your turn. On the point about super kick being pointless, do you know if doing dash up 13~geyser palm is as consistent as just doing super kick after a jump kick for the OS? IMO the biggest value that super kick gives to Rain currently is the access to the JK OS but if doing 13~geyser palm is just as good then well yeah super kick pretty pointless until it gets a nice damage buff :(

Zviko

Noob
Purple Pain, klassic move, 2 slots, completely useless. Reduce the startup and not make it go away on hit for both versions.

Also, introducing new moves to klassic characters that have the same purpose as their klassic moves but are considerably better should be illegal. Of course I'm talking about Hydro Boost and for some reason this new modified "Rain kick". At least kick into 3, Argus Plunge is very good. I'd do that same thing for 133 into Geyser Palm/Argus Plunge. Argus Plunge combos from 133 but not if they breakaway. Why?

He needs a damage buff in general imo. Hydro Boost and Water Bubble are fine damage wise, everything else is not. Even buffed Purple Pain wouldn't be worth taking just because of the damage. You'd barely get over 30% if your setup worked and that's with 2 bars and there's a D2KB risk if you go for a throw.

WA-Finest

>>WILL SLIDE IN NEUTRAL<<
After thinking about it, I think maybe NRS' plan with Water Bubble was for it to really only be viable in the corner using Argus Plunge as a way to make sure Rain always has the opponent in or close to the corner? Maybe they started on Rain before deciding to open up custom variations and that's why some moves seem kind of worthless outside of specific scenarios? I feel like he kind of has the Nightwolf thing going where they made 3 variations for him and then put all those moves on the list but they just don't really work together mix and matched.

Wigy

There it is...
I'd love to have argus plunge break armour off 133 on hit instead of whiffing.
Yeah i think that moves gotta change in some way considering it ends in a high. Should have better reward.

If the last hit had better cancel adv it could lead to nice armour break mindgames and link bubble/kick. Would be a massive help for him.