What's new

Question Rain: Water orb issue?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
The water orb is almost exactly how Quan's trance move is... you couldn't move for a while and then they patched it so you could move and now Rain's water orb looks identical for the most part.

Thoughts?

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Could you move with it in MK3? I mean it would be kinda hard to control both you and your opponent at the same time.

Noob
If it's similar to the UMK3 one, and it looks to be, then the way they did it is correct. Rain is stuck in the "shooting" stance until the time the opponent is trapped in the orb runs out... however, during that time, Rain has CONTROL of the orb and can move and position it and his opponent where he wants them. This shouldn't be problematic...at least not the same way Quan's trance was.

it looks as if you can move/combo right when the water bubble bursts. Im pretty sure you control the bubble too so its not like youre stuck on screen waiting to be able to move as it was with Quan Chi previously.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I hope this does not mean he has moves which appear on certain parts of the screen like Jax because of being able to position his water orb. I would hate lightning if it was.

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
I suppose it's possible that you control Rain with the D-pad / left stick and control the bubble with the right stick, right?

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I suppose it's possible that you control Rain with the D-pad / left stick and control the bubble with the right stick, right?
Nah that wouldn't make sense with the control setup. If he is stuck in the stance when ur in the bubble than most likely u can move the bubble with the d-pad/left stick and once it burst you can move normally.

fooloo

Noob
^you can probably only control the bubble with the left stick because rain is stationary when the opponent is in the bubble. and plus it wouldnt help pad players

Kwon

---->----
You seem to be stationary (locked in double-palm position) while controlling the Orb, at 0:40

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
They have swapped the animation for rains water push move, which is the exact same as Reptiles acid spew.

They have also used Sub-Zero's first x-ray animation from E3, where he shoots up and ice spike, throwing the opponent upwards towards him for the x-ray.

Nothing wrong with that, but just something I noticed.

I can't wait for rain, he seems to fit a play style that we could be used to, like sub-zero, but I am only basing this on his specials so far, which are subject to change.

But on topic, I think it looks a little silly keeping him in the projectile animation until the projectile is finished...

Hitoshura

Head Cage
^you can probably only control the bubble with the left stick because rain is stationary when the opponent is in the bubble. and plus it wouldnt help pad players
well whats tht mean for stick players who play on dp? left stick setting on mad katz sticks tend to cause some input lag?

Tr trance trades in its favor with pretty much everything. I'm willing to bet that the bubble pops when rain gets hit, meaning it won't be good for projectile wars. I think that's what lightning is for.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
You guys have never played Rain in MKT? You don't know how his orb works? Really? Well, the way it works is that if you connect with the orb, Rain becomes stationary but you can position the trapped character in the orb where ever you wish with your arcade stick/pad. There is no controlling both your opponent's position with the orb while moving Rain around. That would be special case programming and a balancing nightmare!

If what some of you thought was the case, Rain would just hit you with the orb and send you to the corner for some corner combo fun with little effort. I hope this helps you guys understand how Rain's orb works.

Peace.

Abudabi

Noob
heh in MKT you could combo the lighting to the tracker ball with the ball 3-4 times and then drop them for a roundhouse kick/uppercut, all the while stationary. I really doubt this is the case for the MK9 incarnation

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
They have swapped the animation for rains water push move, which is the exact same as Reptiles acid spew.

They have also used Sub-Zero's first x-ray animation from E3, where he shoots up and ice spike, throwing the opponent upwards towards him for the x-ray.

Nothing wrong with that, but just something I noticed.

I can't wait for rain, he seems to fit a play style that we could be used to, like sub-zero, but I am only basing this on his specials so far, which are subject to change.

But on topic, I think it looks a little silly keeping him in the projectile animation until the projectile is finished...
Think of it this way: Rain controls water. In order to maintain the bubble he needs to stay in that stance to control it. If you look by his hands you'll see like a purple aura. That works good both as an explanation and a balancing thing. You won't be able to move and the programming won't be as tedious if rain were to return to his normal stance.