What's new

Guide Rain Guide

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
BEST NORMALS

:d:fp - A 6 frame move, a good normal. If you are being crossed over, you can chain a :d:fp into :bk:fk Waterbubble, or Lightning, followed by SuperKick, into :bk:fk Waterbubble, and possibly finish with :bk:fk Teleport to give yourself a cross over option.

:d:bk - A 12 Frame normal, that is 0 on block, Grants good advantage on hit (+12) allowing for some pressure, ideally :bk - Superkick, this string will have good push back.

:fp - A 10 frame normal with extra normal anti air abilities. See the F0xy Grampa Anti air below for 37% plus damage.

Right as Rain - :fp :bp :r:bk - H H M - Safe three hit string that launches. Small hit box characters can duck first two hits. -1 On block. You can also opt for :fp:bp which is 0 on block, and is hit confirmable from a JIP, on block you can go for a crossover jump punch.

You can opt for :d:fk after :fp:bp, but it leaves you at -2 on hit, and -12 on block.

Dehydrate - :bp :bk - H H - Gives slight frame advantage on hit. First hit is duckable on small characters not blocking. 0 On block

Moisturize Me - :bk :fk :l:bk H H H - Safe on block. First 2 hits are special cancel-able. All 3 hits are unduckable. -4 On Block

Watery Grave - :l:bp :fk - M L - String that ends with a low, so it must be crouch blocked on second hit, -10 on block.

Waterfall - :l:bp :fp+:bp - H M - Two hit string. Can special cancel :l:bp but is unsafe on block. Also unduckable. 2nd is an overhead that bounces so you can follow up with a combo. Also at slight frame disadvantage on block. -4 on Block

Spill Over - :fk :fk :bk - H H H - Three hit string that is safe on block. :fk is also rain's fastest standing normal. 1st and 2nd hit are cancel-able with specials. All 3 hits are unduckable. -3 on block

Stepping Sidekick - :l :fk - H - Mainly used as anti air kick that does 8%, but does not take priority over Geyser Kick (For crossovers) or uppercut/:fp as your main anti air, almost the exact same as cyrax's :l:fk. -7 on block, but grants good push back. 13 Frame execution.

Throw: Rains throw gives you the slight advantage of knowing what side you are going to be on before your opponent does, and taking a chance at catching your opponent off guard with Watery Grave or Waterfall, as the string advances pretty quickly on start up. Personally, I think his throw needs to be patched to provide no tech rolling, the same way that Noob's throw does, to compensate for his limited up close game.

SPECIALS:

SuperKick - :d :l :bk - Hold :bk to charge and dash forward or back or any special move to cancel. A updated version of his basic roundhouse kick from Mortal Kombat Trilogy, it knocks the opponet through one side of the screen and out the other. Mainly used as a safe string maker and mid combo juggle. Unduckable.

Water Port - :d :u - Teleport that can be performed from the air and after a JIP or JIK. Leaves you slightly air born as your appear on the other side. It has 43 frames, start up and recovery.

Geyser Kick - :d :l :fk - M Used as mainly an anti air and anti air wake up, this move makes it virtually impossible to cross jump up over rain. Downsides to this move are that it has terrible horizontal range and is unsafe on block. good strat with this move is to dial in your Dehydrate combo into Superkick charge and cancel into Geyser kick if the opponent jumps up trying to cross you over when watching the charge.

Water Bubble - :d :r :fk - M Projectile move that allows you to move the opponent anywhere on the screen for a limited amount of time, does 0% damage. Safe from full screen, and if the opponent blocks the projectile from 3/4 screen, it will push the opponent back to full screen for another safe projectile. It is also great to fire a water bubble after an uppercut to check your opponents tech roll, after your opponents roll if they block, it will push them back to a safe distance. Characters with shielding on their wake up attacks will break through this, so don't waste your time doing this to Raiden for example.

Basic strat with this move is not to combo afterwards, because, not only does the bubble scale the damage in your juggle, but you are granted the option to drop the opponent infront of you, giving you a guaranteed block string op, or throw. The opponent can get out of a safe throw by crouching unblocked, but either way, he has to guess, all opponents :x can be performed immediately as they touch the ground, so be careful. Input this move after a B&B combo to get a potential reset, think of Quan Chi's drops before the Patch.
One of the best tool's rain has, use it at every change you get.

Lightning - :d :l :bp - Sits at a 24 frame execution but is -23 on block, Safe from full screen on block, and recommend to only be used naked at full screen as it can be punished if jump timed from half screen. Mainly used to ground check the opponent after uppercuts etc, rain's best zoning tool, as this should be a constant threat to punish blocked projectiles from full screen. Used in juggles and will auto correct the opponents position during the juggle. After catching the opponent with a lightning move, you can grab the opponent with a water bubble for the drop reset.

Aqua Splash - :l :r :fp - Mainly used as an anti air or combo ender as it leaves the opponent back at JIP distance, so get prepared to AA your opponent afterwards, almost the exactly same move as reptile's EX acid spew but with shorter range and only 8% damage, it is also unbreakable damage if you need it. -2 on block.

H2O Boost - :r :d :l :fp - Grants you a damage boost for 3-4 seconds, but disables your blocking, you will be knocked out of this stage as soon as you finish an attack or drop a juggle. Not worth it as far as going for extra damage, it is mainly used as a ''Mind Game'' and baiting tool, with the words "BLOCKING DISABLED" appearing on both you and your opponents screen (Online). With that dangled in front of the opponent, you will 99% of time bait an advance of any sort out of the opponent. Use this smartly and with a breaker at hand. You will get a free Boost Opportunity after a successful Lightning, as your opponent hits the ground, try jump crossing over your opponent into the Waterfall overhead mid string, landing a bread and butter after this including a JIP will result in pushing your 41% B&B to 46%.

X-RAY:

Rain's :x has decent scaling in combos and can help to land JIP 50%+ combos without damage boosts. It should be used by trading with projectiles as it hits your opponent anywhere on screen and takes one hit or armour. This X-Ray can be combo'd into and out of, you can only end the X-ray with a basic uppercut or ideally, the Moisturise Me string, or cancel the last hit of the Moisturise me string into an Aqua Splash.

:ex MOVES:

:ex SuperKick - :d :l :bk+:blk - This move is his best tool he has, and without it, you will find it hard to defend yourself. It has armour on start up and it will beat every wake up move in the game. If the opponent wakes up with an armoured wake up move, you will not be moved from your spot, but you will take the damage from any wake up if you are hit. This will launch the opponent, so it is excellently used as an anti air counter, you will take the hit but start a juggle on your opponent, not recommend in the middle of your juggles, you can make up more damage with the :en lightning.

:ex Lightning - :d :l :bp+:blk - Safe on block. This is the same as the special version, but adds two extra hits, still auto corrects during combos and is mainly used for 6% chip at full screen, or to add your extra damage during juggle combos, if you connect with the :en lightning from anywhere on the screen, you can get a teleport in time for a juggle.

:ex H20 Boost - :r :d :l :fp+:blk - Same as the special version except it will last 5-7 seconds, almost for the duration of a full juggle combo, you can result in some easy 55%+ B&B combo's. Basic strat for this is to activate after a successful lighting, cross over your opponent and hunt for the overhead mid JIP combo, or whilst this is activated counter your opponents advance with an :en SuperKick, and you will get a very very easy 55-60% B&B. NOTE: Armor dashing with EN Superkick makes the boost go away.

:ex Water Port - :d :u+:blk - Is -12 on block, Starts as your teleport animation, and has armor during start-up ends in a two hit Geyser kick. The only reason to use this is in a mind game after your teleport. If your opponent is constantly crossing you over with a jump after your teleports, then this will catch them, not really worth it, just stop teleporting or jump back still if that is the case. You will save meter also.

:ex Geyser Kick - :d :l :fk +:blk- Has armor and does 3 hits for 16%. Punishable on block.

:ex Water Bubble - :d :r :fk+:blk - Same as the special version except this does 2% Damage and drains your opponents meter. Only use this mid juggle to guarantee the hit, or else you are wasting meter if it does not hit your opponent. Same goes with all characters EH Projectiles, except for Reptile or Cage.

:ex Aqua Push - :l :r :fp+:blk - Same as the special version except it is slightly faster on start up, and does slightly more damage, has more range and has Armor and is safe on block. This and EX lighting are his only safe wake-up moves.

GENERAL STRATEGY:

Rain's comfort zone in and around midscreen & just outside jump distance. If you are just out side of jump distance get prepared for your opponent jumping at you and be prepared to back off for his waterfall string :l:bp :fp+:bp, the second hit has good range and is overhead, leads into combos and resets with :bk:fk lightning etc..., but being aware of the space in front of you and mastering your anti air game will help in maximizing this characters potential.

You will find it hard to zone out a smart rain player, as he can constantly threat a safe random lighting from just under full screen to keep you on your toes. Because rain has a very limited yet safe up close game, you can't be too greedy after a jump in punch, so take the throw or 24/33/43 into superkick, once you have the opponent respecting your 24/33/43, (as any smart opponent should know not to adavance after this string in fear of eating a roundhouse kick, and being launched for 30%+ and reset with a Water Bubble) you can get smart with the cancel, and move in for another safe string or throw. But yet again, do not get too greedy and make sure you have a breaker on hand before you go trying to style it up with advancing on cancels. Anytime you get a safe 24/33/43 into Superkick, it is 100% safe and it will place you perfectly for a waiting uppercut on your jumping opponent.

Those are your safe strings that build meter and keep your opponent respecting your string on block, it's not always about doing your super awesome cool juggle combo, it would be silly to say that certain juggle strings take priority over your safest strings as you don't always get that opportunity and you can't jump in recklessly and dial 43 Lightning for example, you need to have safe string options, and of course, if you get the chance to punish your opponent with a bread and butter 40%, then do it, don't dial in a safe string, that should be obvious.

If you charge up your Superkick and the opponent starts to advance with a jump, you can cancel into your anti air Geyser kick, or teleport for safety.

Abuse your meter with the :en SuperKick, you are armoured so you can take the hit and launch your opponent, you can safely stand next to your opponent on wake up and beat it everytime, again, against a smart rain player, do not wake up attack close to him if he has meter or you will lose that clash.

You can poke out of strings with d1 into Superkick or WaterPort.

BEST PUNISHERS:
Rain's fastest normal is :fk. (Apart from pokes such as :d:fk +7 - Frames, :d:fp - 6 Frames)

For example, on reaction, use :fk:d:l:bk to punish Reptiles Dash, or Kung Laos spin on block, stick with :fk :d:l:bk, because, if you do not get the punish and the string gets blocked, you will still be safe, build meter and you still might catch the opponent trying to advance past the delayed type motion of the Superkick, and if you get the Punish, the :fk will chain in the Superkick to launch for a combo. This is why something like :bk :fk into lightning will not work if you are trying to quickly punish, it is risky, unsafe, slightly slower, and you will get punished if you miss time.

:bk:fk:d:r:fk - This is your best string to punish a clear opportunity, such as, blocking Scorpions teleport punch. It is also slightly more damaging that your faster :fk Superkick punisher.

THE :ex SUPERKICK PUNISHER:
If you read your opponents JIP, and you use your :en SuperKick, then afterwards combo in :bk :fk Waterbubble - :bk :fk Lightning - :bk :fk Aquapush for 39-40%, his best punisher. This requires only one bar of meter. You can also do this on wake up, this will help to slow down an overly aggressive opponent.

STYLING / MIX UP:
If you can land JIP's, go for :bk:fk:d:l:bk, then try cancelling your Superkick into :fk:d:l:bk, because, if your second string is blocked you will stay safe, and if it connects, you will launch your opponent, best value for mix up. Again, try stay away from mixing up into Lightning or Bubble unless it is a guaranteed punish opportunity or you have hit confirmed.

Stick players are able to cancel the Superkick directly into :l:bp :bp+:fp allot easier than pad players, so I recommend using rain with a stick to get better results, you will be able to use rain more technically and to his full potential this way.

AIR TO AIR CONTROL:
In an air battle with air born teleport characters such as, Ermac, Scorpion, Smoke etc, you can also do this battle, by landing a jump punch in the air and dashing into 4 lightning, and then into 43 Bubble and ending with 43 Aqua Push which will do 18-20% or after the water bubble, go for resetting the opponent back at your feet for a guess game mix up. Or alternatively, after the lightning, activate your H2O Buff/Boost and go in for your cross over JIP.

FOXYGRAMPA ANTI AIR: UPDATED
:fp Waterbubble - Uppercut - :bk:fk Lightning - Round House:
End with :bk Aqua Slash :)l:r:fp) = 35% or :bk Geyser Kick :)d:l:fk) = 37%

You can opt to go for :ex Waterbubble and Drain the opponents meter while you are at it.

FREE SHIELDING & SHIELDED DASH PRESS:
Rain is the only character in the game that can use a shielded dash, you simply use your :en Superkick, and dash forward, the Shielding will stay with you the same amount of time that your Superkick would have, so you can now at jump distance, shielded dash through Sub-Zero's wake up Ice Clone, or Freely press a wake up happy Kung Lao, and if that is something that is too technical for you, then simply use your :en Superkick on a wake up attacking opponent without dash cancelling and fully launch them.

Other shielded dash pressing examples would be, happily pressing Ermac, and walking through his Push, dashing through Sub-Zeros wake up ice clone, Dashing through Reptiles force balls, Dashing through a Cyrax net, or even something as ridiculous as standing on one of his bombs!

You can also cancel your Shielded :en Superkick into a lightning, so for example, if Sub-Zero throws and Ice Ball, you can use your :en Superkick to take the ice ball hit and quickly cancel into Lightning.

WATER BUBBLE RESET:
When finishing a combo, try not to finish with anything other than a Water Bubble as you never want the opponent to get away from you, If you can't finish with a bubble, then finish with :bk:fk Teleport for a ''Vortex'' combo finish that will give you a cross over chance if the opponent doesn't clock it and gets his inputs mixed up, thus screwing up his wake up.

So when finishing with the Water Bubble (Always take the opponents meter with the :en Bubble), Place the watery opponent at Jump distance and as high as you can, then time a JIP, to recreate a safe jump, if timed well, the opponent can't jump back out of the set up as your ''Waterfall'' string on a JIP will still catch the opponent on the second hit, and then you can juggle straight back into a combo, example: :l:bp :fp+:bp, :bk:fk Lightning, etc...

HIT CONFIRMING :l:bp into Superkick:
This is perfect for after the Water bubble reset or a JIP in general, it will still lead to the same damage out put from any combo that starts with :bk:fk.

COMBOS:

47% One bar of meter bread and butter combo:

50% No meter uppercut combo: (I$AAC)
- THIS IS YOUR CORNER COMBO - End the combo with :bk:d:l:fk

49% :en Superkick Cancel combo:

50%: :en Superkick Cancel combo:

52% :en Superkick Cancel punisher combo: 49% Punisher without JIP

H20 Buff Combo:

:x Combos:

52% Water Bubble starting :x combos:

ADDITIONAL WALL COMBO:
JIP :bk:fk Waterbubble - Uppercut (opponent should not go over head but towards wall) - :bk:fk Lightning - Roundhouse - :bk Geyser - 55% Meterless.

wolfe

Noob
how is the teleport safe? i thought people could punish it on reaction...

i really wish superkick cancel pressure wasnt so absurdly painful to do.

UsedForGlue

As far as I am aware the teleport is safe on block, I have punished opponents on reaction with it because they were not blocking after the teleport.

If I am wrong I have no problem changing. It's still rains first days.

wolfe

Noob
As far as I am aware the teleport is safe on block, I have punished opponents on reaction with it because they were not blocking after the teleport.

If I am wrong I have no problem changing.
ive seen a video of a reptile player online punishing a naked rain teleport (non ex). also safe on block is a strange way to put it since hte non ex tele doesnt hit anyone. just confused on it is all.

still, surprised to see so many of his moves as safe.

UsedForGlue

Are you sure the opponent wasn't blocking? I had my friend shadow kick me today in the testing of it.

I am sure TomBrady or someone will come along and help me out with that one.

Finished the guide as it is for the moment, I will make updates where it is necessary.

wolfe

Noob
im also curious why 2,4 instead of b+2?

seems like b+2 has more options to work with and if the overhead connects you can still link in a 4,3 before you lightning them.

basically while 2,4 has throw/superkick

b+2 has low (11% damage) that as you say is safe, a overhead that you also say is safe that can go into a juggle/combo, superkick cancel, throw...there just seems to be more threats there with the ability to threaten low/overhead. so why is 2,4 superior? i read your comments on them, perhaps i missed somehting.

UsedForGlue

im also curious why 2,4 instead of b+2?

seems like b+2 has more options to work with and if the overhead connects you can still link in a 4,3 before you lightning them.

basically while 2,4 has throw/superkick

b+2 has low (11% damage) that as you say is safe, a overhead that you also say is safe that can go into a juggle/combo, superkick cancel, throw...there just seems to be more threats there with the ability to threaten low/overhead. so why is 2,4 superior? i read your comments on them, perhaps i missed somehting.
B2 starting strings cant't chain a RH kick afterwards, you can only pop up, or sweep from b2, unless you want to press b2 into RH, but thats totally your choice either way, You can do my 24 stuff with 43 aswell, I just prefer 24 because of its slow hit confirm potential into RH Kick, or straight walk in for a throw.

24 RH is a safe string, 43 Lightning is not safe, and using the b2 strings is hunting for a combo.

Subby

Frost Warrior
I find this guide pretty good. *thumbs up.* I didn't even know Superkick made most normals safe. Had I known this, I would've won alot more this weekend.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
24 is safe on block (May be +frames, but likely 0), but the first hit can be neutral crouched. That's where 33/43 come in.

Teleport is airborne shortly after he appears on the other side. I've been AA juggled trying to block right after.

wolfe

Noob
B2 starting strings cant't chain a RH kick afterwards, you can only pop up, or sweep from b2, unless you want to press b2 into RH, but thats totally your choice either way, You can do my 24 stuff with 43 aswell, I just prefer 24 because of its slow hit confirm potential into RH Kick, or straight walk in for a throw.

24 RH is a safe string, 43 Lightning is not safe, and using the b2 strings is hunting for a combo.
true 24 has to be one of the slowest animations on a two hit string ever lol. b2 RH safe? is b2 1+2 or b2 3 safe? if yes to all 3 id probably stick with b2 for being offensive. since hit confirming into RH seems pointless if RH makes it safe /shrug, tho im sure someone can explain to me how it would be better.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I'd say the opposite, rain is better up close and really bad fullscreen b+2 is really useful for mixups. Always use the bubble to reset and never to extend a combo. On top of that his 1 jab is sick for anti airing jump ins

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
b2 mixups are not useful. The high/low options can be easily fuzzy guarded...hell you don't even have to really fuzzy guard.

UsedForGlue

b2 mixups are not useful. The high/low options can be easily fuzzy guarded...hell you don't even have to really fuzzy guard.
Exactly, I am blue in the face from saying that so many times, just because it grants you a pop up, or sweep does not mean it is more useful than a superkick safe string, its an option, it takes no priority.

UsedForGlue

true 24 has to be one of the slowest animations on a two hit string ever lol. b2 RH safe? is b2 1+2 or b2 3 safe? if yes to all 3 id probably stick with b2 for being offensive. since hit confirming into RH seems pointless if RH makes it safe /shrug, tho im sure someone can explain to me how it would be better.
The B2 B3 string is safe, like i said earlier, you can do which ever string you want, its totally your choice.
Anything with a SuperKick chained to the end is safe.

If you get a chance for an open combo on your opponent, then yes, go for something like 43 Lightning, but if you are attcking your blocking opponent, then go for the SuperKick at the end of your strings, you have options to cancel into b2 if you really want the b2 that much. Again, it takes no preference, its your choice.

UsedForGlue

I'd say the opposite, rain is better up close and really bad fullscreen b+2 is really useful for mixups. Always use the bubble to reset and never to extend a combo. On top of that his 1 jab is sick for anti airing jump ins
For me, I don't think rain up close is where it's at. Compared to the more rush down characters, he has very limited options, albeit very safe. His best zone is just outside jump distance.

How are you getting on with him anyway Foxy?

IKizzLE

BloodHound
EX teleport is not safe. I repeat, it is not safe. I was punish by a johnny cage and quan chi uppercut before I even hit the ground.....

I have also been launched by quick jab starters by Sektor and such, when I hit the ground and I held block immediately after the move.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
3 main combo starters: 1,2,f4,/ 4,3,/ b2, 1+2/ but that is just my opinion. I mainly end combos with water orb and then as soon as they hit the ground make them chose between netural grab or command grab. I also love to punish people on there wake up attacks with my EX roundhouse kick for big damage.

UsedForGlue

EX teleport is not safe. I repeat, it is not safe. I was punish by a johnny cage and quan chi uppercut before I even hit the ground.....

I have also been launched by quick jab starters by Sektor and such, when I hit the ground and I held block immediately after the move.
It does not say in the guide that the :en teleport is safe.

It's actually fairly practical.
Is the timing on this very strict or is it just a matter of bubble placement?? I've been trying this for the last little bit, but I can never seem to move in time to get the 43 to connect after the uppercut. Obviously I'm doing something wrong...however I just cant place my finger on that yet.

ApocalypseUK

I Will Kill You For Sport.
Is the timing on this very strict or is it just a matter of bubble placement?? I've been trying this for the last little bit, but I can never seem to move in time to get the 43 to connect after the uppercut. Obviously I'm doing something wrong...however I just cant place my finger on that yet.
im having the same problem cant get the bubble in the correct place.

UsedForGlue

Updated Water bubble, and lightning.

Also added a 52% One bar of meter, single charge, no buff, no uppercut combo.