What's new

Rain general discussion

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Rain's u3 is basically Scorpion's B3 but it's 100% punishable. The main difference is we can short hop into throw or b3, etc. for somewhat of a mix.

Wigy

There it is...
Squeezing out extra bit of damage off every combo as an ender, combo off 133, anti-air even though I suck at it.
up to you really but hydroboost is the best ability for consistent damage IMO. Also i get most my work done with whiff punishes or b21 staggers, both of which are helped more with hydroboost.

if i use geyser palm i always want tidal wave as it makes his 133 way better. Otherwise the string seems weak to me.

not saying im right here, all my opinion.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
up to you really but hydroboost is the best ability for consistent damage IMO. Also i get most my work done with whiff punishes or b21 staggers, both of which are helped more with hydroboost.

if i use geyser palm i always want tidal wave as it makes his 133 way better. Otherwise the string seems weak to me.

not saying im right here, all my opinion.
It’s true that hydro boost is the most damaging option, but when I already have 2 slots occupied with force and slice I prefer palm not just for the launcher, but I get to keep super kick as well, which still gives me damage off B21 and 242 (less than hydroboost for sure but it’s still not bad), and opens up JK OS options. I lose corner damage yes due to all the side switching, but I’m always one jump away from escaping the corner because I can slice out. To each their own but geyser palm seems to make Rain more versatile.

As for tidal wave I’m not sure how it really helps since all the mixups are fuzzy-able and AMP toss help cover all his gaps (and tidal wave can’t because it’s too slow). If you like the standing plus frames regular Katar toss does that too. I do have another loadout with hydroboost//geyser palm//hydroplane for corner carry and damage, and I get hydroplane for cancel pressure.

MuMuGuy

Noob
How does one make Purple Pain work? I’ve been trying to use it because in theory, it should give phenomenal oki pressure, but it’s too bloody slow. It also being a 2-slot move makes it hard to justify using.

I was using Purple Pain and Geyser Palm. Rain needs either Hydro Boost or Geyser Palm to do decent damage, but I prefer Geyser Palm for its AA capabilities, being a good side switch ender, and its being able to combo from 133.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
How does one make Purple Pain work? I’ve been trying to use it because in theory, it should give phenomenal oki pressure, but it’s too bloody slow. It also being a 2-slot move makes it hard to justify using.

I was using Purple Pain and Geyser Palm. Rain needs either Hydro Boost or Geyser Palm to do decent damage, but I prefer Geyser Palm for its AA capabilities, being a good side switch ender, and its being able to combo from 133.
Here is one setup from @DarksydeDash

This is good stuff but personally I don’t think Purple Pain is that good. You give up a lot of damage to set it up because it’s so slow and iirc it goes away if he blocks.

Geyser vs Hydro is more about what you value I think. As you said Geyser AA’s into potential conversions, side switches, and combos from 133. Hydroboost gives great value Upgraded style pressure, insane corner combos, and combos off most anything with the correct path. I think these two moves are his best custom options.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Here is one setup from @DarksydeDash

This is good stuff but personally I don’t think Purple Pain is that good. You give up a lot of damage to set it up because it’s so slow and iirc it goes away if he blocks.

Geyser vs Hydro is more about what you value I think. As you said Geyser AA’s into potential conversions, side switches, and combos from 133. Hydroboost gives great value Upgraded style pressure, insane corner combos, and combos off most anything with the correct path. I think these two moves are his best custom options.
This video is in a separate thread and sadly they're gimmicks because you can just walk back out of this.

Mandolore1123

Hydroboost gives great value Upgraded style pressure
I'm a bit hesitant to call it Upgraded style pressure because as long as they crouch block it they can anti-air Rain whether he does J2 or J3 coming down, or just flawless block U2 him. Hydroboost pressure is a gimmick. Everything else you said is true though.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
What are you guys doing for pressure. A friend of mine told me told my pressure it too flow chart, however it’s like outside of b21 stagger or not stagger, which gets low profiled by so many things. And 13/133/134 gimmicks and the F2 in special cancel or F24 what else is there? I also recently started to use 242, tidal wave cause it gives you pretty good spacing but he lacks the range to check certain characters.

Mandolore1123

What are you guys doing for pressure. A friend of mine told me told my pressure it too flow chart, however it’s like outside of b21 stagger or not stagger, which gets low profiled by so many things. And 13/133/134 gimmicks and the F2 in special cancel or F24 what else is there? I also recently started to use 242, tidal wave cause it gives you pretty good spacing but he lacks the range to check certain characters.
You can add an extra layer with AMP Katar toss. You can also use Hydroplane cancels to gain space. Be careful of 242 because a lot of characters can D3 under the second hit so there's not much point in staggering it at the moment until it's fixed

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
You can add an extra layer with AMP Katar toss. You can also use Hydroplane cancels to gain space. Be careful of 242 because a lot of characters can D3 under the second hit so there's not much point in staggering it at the moment until it's fixed
Holy shit, it’s like the more I learn about this character the more it feel like all his major issues are hit box issues and damage issues. It’s fucking infuriating. All I want for him is slightly more range on b2 make it the same range as liu b1, fix his hit box issues, allow him to immediately move after geyser kick, and buff his damage slightly at least on geyser kick to make it even or a little closer in damage to Hydro boost. That all I want, please NRS please.

He will never see buffs because “mOveMEnT!”

i’d be surprised if they even addressed hitbox issues. 2 years and lui’s f4 (or f3??) anti airs behind him...

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Best Purple Rain setup I've found so far. Moves cool but it feels like it's balanced around the amplified version and Rain is balanced around not giving you easy ways to setup the amplified version. What I'd like to find is a good way to set it up meterlessly so I can have fun with these plus frames

Mandolore1123

Best Purple Rain setup I've found so far. Moves cool but it feels like it's balanced around the amplified version and Rain is balanced around not giving you easy ways to setup the amplified version. What I'd like to find is a good way to set it up meterlessly so I can have fun with these plus frames

Costly :(

Wigy

There it is...
Are you safe if they forward roll?
Not labbed thoroughly. Ill put a video up later, dont think so.

Its also dependent on his hydroboost avoiding u3.

Think of it like a budget jacqui oki setup with her blaster.

You can do it after 134 midscreen as well.

Its a bit ghetto and they can antiair or fb etc but it seems a pretty good option for folks refusing to block on oki.

Last edited: