What's new

Rain general discussion

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I can not wait for V3.

Ground wave and bubble were the moves I wanted ANNNNND, surprising to me at least, the water fade move is a BASE move and not custom.

Does kinda suck his lightning is customs only, but I always felt that was a rip off of Raiden anyways.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
He seems to be a character of continuous damage, very fast, and with access to restands. So i wouldn't worry to much, and there is also the KB factor(See Jax).
I don’t really mind per se, I was just a bit surprised since I thought this character was traditionally associated with big damage. Still can’t wait to try him out

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
It wouldn‘t bother me anyway, his sexuality has no bearing on why I like him as a character in a fighting game.

But saying he should be gay or bi just because Prince is doesn‘t really make sense. Rain isn‘t Prince in the MK universe, he‘s his own character. Just because Prince is a LGBT+ icon doesn‘t mean Rain is or has to be either.
wait...I don’t believe Prince was gay. This keeps getting mentioned, but Prince wasn’t gay lol.

he played with concepts of gender and sexual identity but he was actually a Jehovah’s Witness and said some rather homophobic things. He was famously linked with many women, some celebrities.

I didn’t know prince personally obviously and don’t know what was in his head or heart, but I’m a huge fan and have never seen anyone credibly claim prince was gay.

but, you’re point remains, Rain’s sexuality isn’t tied to Prince’s. Personally, I don’t care what Rain’s preferences are because he is a fictional character whose characterization is super limited and basically irrelevant in the current storyline.

I think it’s cool though if lgbtq+ people identify with Rain and gravitate towards the character because the game should attract all kinds.

I’m as hetero as it gets and I still love Rain and the color purple. I just hope he’s fun to play and has creativity in his combo routes!

interesting hearing everyone’s perspective and I think I personally agree that it’d be disappointing having the “stereotypical gay seeming” character be the token gay guy. That’s why Kung Jin was cool, he was just a guy who was also gay. It’s not like I’d be bothered by having a out and proud character so it’s whatever, I just could see some gay people being annoyed that he’s so on the nose.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
I mean it’s only fair that if he has good zoning and a lot of combo options, that he has low damage and his normals having less range.

Zviko

Noob
V2 is all I wanted. Absorb special, launcher, anti air which also launches, restand and that dash back move which he can cancel, meaning he can probably make strings safe/safish while it also works as a mix up. He has everything although it might be easier to get in against zoning with the other 2 variations.

Damage wise, I think it's fine. It's not all in combos. V1 and V2 have their own KBs, V2 has a restand as well but on top of that he has armor break KB as a base which looks like it's gonna work like Kitana's ass (one of the best armor breakers in the game), he also has kounter hit KB as a base and a throw KB. You know how Sub Zeros and Liu Kangs spam you with KBs in round 3? This is basically the same.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
wait...I don’t believe Prince was gay. This keeps getting mentioned, but Prince wasn’t gay lol.

he played with concepts of gender and sexual identity but he was actually a Jehovah’s Witness and said some rather homophobic things. He was famously linked with many women, some celebrities.

I didn’t know prince personally obviously and don’t know what was in his head or heart, but I’m a huge fan and have never seen anyone credibly claim prince was gay.
Nobody said Prince himself was gay tho so idk where that other guy got that from. Cause I know he was linked with women. But the fact that he played with concepts of gender and sexual identity is why he's an icon to the LGBT community. Which is all I've said.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
What variation are you guys most interested in so far? I expected to be drawn to one but all 3 looked like they have pretty good tools.

V1 looked cool but to me it didn't feel like Rain, more like a Raiden-Fujin fusion. If the bolt is not too unsafe I might give it a go.
V2 seems quite impressive to me cause I usually go for combo heavy variations. Also restand is +++
V3 was quite flashy looking but I sooo wish the water bubble projectile was universal instead.

Overall, to me V2 stands out the most.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Nobody said Prince himself was gay tho so idk where that other guy got that from. Cause I know he was linked with women. But the fact that he played with concepts of gender and sexual identity is why he's an icon to the LGBT community. Which is all I've said.
That was the 2nd person in this thread to make that statement.

Yeah, I agree, I wasn’t really disagreeing or responding directly to you.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I wish NRS put half the effort into making a character fun to play as they did with the effects and aesthetics. Rain LOOKS fucking incredible. Like.....if I had never played MK before and I went through the select screen, that would be the character I would want to play.

Aside from all that, I wasn't very impressed. Fragmenting the character into variations ALWAYS makes them less interesting. Lightning is a staple legacy move for the character and it's not part of any of his tournament variations. His combos look every bit as limited as I thought they'd be.

I was really hoping they'd at lease tease some major gameplay change in this Kast. Maybe show a NJP or something along those lines that would suggest more combo paths. I mean....one timing for delayed wakeup is nice and all, but it's not like that's going to do fuck toward making the game fun.

Also, Prince wasn't gay. Dude was eccentric but he was an S+ tier Cocksman, make no mistake.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I wish NRS put half the effort into making a character fun to play as they did with the effects and aesthetics. Rain LOOKS fucking incredible. Like.....if I had never played MK before and I went through the select screen, that would be the character I would want to play.

Aside from all that, I wasn't very impressed. Fragmenting the character into variations ALWAYS makes them less interesting. Lightning is a staple legacy move for the character and it's not part of any of his tournament variations. His combos look every bit as limited as I thought they'd be.

I was really hoping they'd at lease tease some major gameplay change in this Kast. Maybe show a NJP or something along those lines that would suggest more combo paths. I mean....one timing for delayed wakeup is nice and all, but it's not like that's going to do fuck toward making the game fun.

Also, Prince wasn't gay. Dude was eccentric but he was an S+ tier Cocksman, make no mistake.
Yeah I feel the same about lighting. Super kick bubble and lightning are staples to the characters core. But I'm going to give him a shot nevertheless. Prince should have been a plumber beacuse all he did was lay pipe.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Maybe the big changes for KP2 is that the are FINALLY allowing for custom variations on kombat league or something? No? Yeah, I know, I don't believe that too, just wishful thinking.

I prefer water powers as his priority tbh. I never understood why there has to be another lightning character.
Scorpion and Liu Kang have fire powers. Fujin has wind powers and Kitana to a certain degree does too.

Its less about having characters with the same powers and more about him actually having them since his introduction. The lightning strike is a staple move of his and its omitted from his base and rank variations.

Zviko

Noob
Scorpion and Liu Kang have fire powers. Fujin has wind powers and Kitana to a certain degree does too.

Its less about having characters with the same powers and more about him actually having them since his introduction. The lightning strike is a staple move of his and its omitted from his base and rank variations.
At least it's in the game, unlike Sonya's leg grab. :D

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
I prefer water powers as his priority tbh. I never understood why there has to be another lightning character.
Water is literally his core, I’m glad they focused more on water instead of lighting. If they want lightening so much, they can use Raiden. Should lightening become the new guns in MK11? Water makes rain more unique than some purple lightening.

Kitana is more of a martial artist like Jade, Tanya and Mileena. All of them have magic powers, but no elemental ones Rain has actual elemental powers but that’s probably because he’s a descendant of Argus.

Ermac can be considered Edenian as well since he’s a collection of Souls.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
As always, I'll play around with custom variations for Rain. The fact none of his main variations has his lightning strike kinda baffles me.
I like the dash/dive attack move he has in the first variation though, so if I was to choose a variation from what we've seen so far, that might be the one. Though the combo potential in his third variation with his water ball seems appealing as well.

Hopefully I can shape a custom variation with those moves together. ^^