What's new

Raiden or Rayden?

dreemernj

Ambassador
This question has spawned Nuclear (or as Dubya would say Nucular) level flame wars.

But in actuality, you are both right. Raiden is what he is named in the arcade. So many consider that to be the true spelling.

Rayden is what he is named on home systems. It's a little less legit (cause it's not arcade) but it's also more correct phonetically (since Raiden should really be pronounced Rye Den).

XpArTy

Noob
^ We need more drunk people :p :wink:

Well, the "Raiden" way of spelling is the correct English spelling of the god of thunder and lightning in Japanese mythology.
Rayden was the substitute, because some people didn't want one of their gods be in a violent game, so they demanded a change. Blame censorship.

dreemernj

Ambassador
XpArTy said:
^ We need more drunk people :p :wink:

Well, the "Raiden" way of spelling is the correct English spelling of the god of thunder and lightning in Japanese mythology.
Rayden was the substitute, because some people didn't want one of their gods be in a violent game, so they demanded a change. Blame censorship.
It can be Raijin as well.

And there has always been talk about legal issues with 'Raiden'

Fatal Fury, Virtual On, and Metal Gear Solid have characters named Raiden. There's also a shooting game series named Raiden. Very popular name, lol.

marv

Noob
Yeah I've always heard that they changed it on the console for legal reasons. I keep telling my wife Raiden is the original and arcade spelling and thus better, but she still prefers Rayden.

Perhaps we should somehow incorporate a Raiden and a Rayden in UMKT and fight to the death.

ZAQ

Noob
Yeah, I always assumed it was because of the shooting game. In our old arcade that machine was very close to the MK2 cabinet for some reason.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
During the FuncoLand days I looked through their flyer and saw "Raiden" as a game listed for I believe Super Nintendo. I didn't realize that it was an overhead shooter or whatever it was until I asked someone if they made a Mortal Kombat game centered around him.

marv

Noob
kazlaz said:
umkt what is that a blend of them all ??
and tell her to read this

UMKT???
Kinda. Or eventually. It's Dreamer's engine (that I've done a little work on as well). It has its own thread, over in the General section. It's sticky. Can't miss it.