What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Raiden Raiden Match-ups Thread

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
I dont play displacer so no teleporting. And true I can ex superman, but part of the problem is that he seems to give me trouble up close. I dont want to waste the meter unless I can be absolutely sure I'm getting him into the corner with that superman, and from there I'll give him the business. Maybe it's just me, but I find him really hard to approach.
Check @Tom Brady YouTube page. It explains how to deal w it's entire mix up. You can also low profile his projectile. You can also punish oh & low sword w reversal superman

So how do all you Raiden mains feel about the YOMI matchup chart. It has 4 losing matchups for Raiden. Cassie, Lao, Shinnok, Johnny. I don't really see Johnny as winning honestly. @GGA Dizzy I'm interested in what you have to say about Johnny since you play both characters. Also @Digit @Nivek do you have anything to add about the chart and who Raiden loses to?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
So how do all you Raiden mains feel about the YOMI matchup chart. It has 4 losing matchups for Raiden. Cassie, Lao, Shinnok, Johnny. I don't really see Johnny as winning honestly. @GGA Dizzy I'm interested in what you have to say about Johnny since you play both characters. Also @Digit @Nivek do you have anything to add about the chart and who Raiden loses to?
Assuming a-list vs TG, if I had to say id go with even for JC vs Raiden. If itd be anyones favor, itd be raiden IMO. JC footsies are great. But he can't zone at all due to superman avoiding force balls on reaction, don't even need to use EX. Not sure what talking point would be used to say JC has advantage unless they feel he wins the footsies game that badly, because raiden mixup game is obviously one of the best.

The other three chars I also agree are bad matchups most likely.

Assuming a-list vs TG, if I had to say id go with even for JC vs Raiden. If itd be anyones favor, itd be raiden IMO. JC footsies are great. But he can't zone at all due to superman avoiding force balls on reaction, don't even need to use EX. Not sure what talking point would be used to say JC has advantage unless they feel he wins the footsies game that badly, because raiden mixup game is obviously one of the best.

From what I gathered the big thing they had in Johnnys favor was being able to low profile his wakeups with d4. There has been times where my ex rising thunder wiffs on Johnny, but if your desperate to wake up or stop pressure, you always have superman.

Last edited:

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I've never played a good Raiden but I'm curious as to why people think it's a good mu for Lao. Both characters have a lot of offensive and defensive tools, so I would assume it would be even.

I've never played a good Raiden but I'm curious as to why people think it's a good mu for Lao. Both characters have a lot of offensive and defensive tools, so I would assume it would be even.
I would say that Lao has better options up close AND far. Kung Lao can zone better and has better mobility. Kung Lao is a threat full screen where as Raiden doesn't have much past mid range. You can't even get an ex lightning ball to stop Laos pressure. He'll just teleport that shit. Raiden wants his opponent up close where he can connect an ex shocker or get a knockdown for 50/50s, but trying to win the upclose game with Lao is too hard.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
He better footsies, zoning, can punish B2 OS with EX spin (tempest) with heavy damage, can jail into stand 1 from EX hat most of the time on raiden still (even though it doesnt work on most other chars) just to name a few things why I think that

Last edited:

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Ah, I didn't know St. 1 jailed after Ex Hat on Raiden, that is big.

With regards to zoning, Lao is likely better suited to win the full screen game in Buzzsaw. But then he loses out on punishing the B2 OS, as well as the godlike pressure tool in Ex Hat. Tempest Lao doesn't have good enough zoning to really matter in this MU imo.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
After the patch, I definitely feel like it's even now. Though losing the OS must suck for Raiden players.

After the patch, I definitely feel like it's even now. Though losing the OS must suck for Raiden players.
It's sucks but we still have safe 18% overhead combo with corner carry if we're afraid of a punish. Then once we're at the corner we have a safe 30% overhead combo, so not too bad.

geezy89

Weekend Warrior
It's sucks but we still have safe 18% overhead combo with corner carry if we're afraid of a punish. Then once we're at the corner we have a safe 30% overhead combo, so not too bad.

What overhead combo in the corner does he have that's safe?

geezy89

Weekend Warrior
You can do b2 EXdb2 f12b2[h] b14 LRC f12b2[h] b111+3 (28%)

That is 0 on block
When I was labbing that I was doing b2 EXdb2 f12b2[h] b14 LRC 214 db1 for 28% and restand instead. Nevertheless, thank you very much sir. : )

Cerebru

Noob

Yo lets find out we haven't played casuals since MLG hosted MK. Ill TG and you run Cage.

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
How do everyone deal with the HQT Pred match up. He seems to be the character I have by far the most trouble with. I don't even have problems with the other variations. My main problem is that if he gets me full screen I am put in a very tough zoning situation for TG, and when I am mid to close he uses the low plasma to keep me from getting in, thus starting his pressure. The matches I take off of HQT are based on me punishing him for a corner carry then getting to mix him up for the rest of the match.
That's all good, but honestly it feels like I am sometimes waiting for an opportunity that won't always come. What kinds of strategies and tactics do you guys use?

P.S. I've thought about switching to MoS for this match up. I feel like the balls could trap a cavalier pred.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
What matchups do you guys think benefit Displacer more than Thunder God and vice versa?

Boneshaper Shinnok is probably better to use Displacer in, although the unblockable can still catch you if you teleport.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
...although the unblockable can still catch you if you teleport.
Pretty sure teleport is one of the worst responses to earthquake tbh. Haven't checked it, but I think even superman or f4 are closer to being called a "counter" to that. That is, if we are talking about his specific tools...

What particular usage of unblockable do you mean?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Pretty sure teleport is one of the worst responses to earthquake tbh. Haven't checked it, but I think even superman or f4 are closer to being called a "counter" to that. That is, if we are talking about his specific tools...

What particular usage of unblockable do you mean?
I was more talking about the Boneshaper player doing his BF1 spam- uh zoning. As a response to that you teleport to get in their face. So basically teleport is a response to BF1, not to the unblockable.

The unblockable becomes a problem when the Shinnok player does bf1 and after that a df1. If you do the teleport after their bf1 you may get caught by the unblockable.