What's new

Raiden Match Footage

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Patient Impulse using a non-TW variation :eek:
Electric Burst//storm cell//quick charge
I don't really agree with his choice but maybe he knows something we don't.

Mandolore1123

Yet completely different play styles. Not sure how much the opponent had to do with that, but i thought it was interesting considering all the talk that everyone plays the characters the same.
I haven't watched these videos in a while so idk if the play-styles are very different. I honestly don't like this variation personally. Feels lacking when all you have is BF1 for counter-zoning. idk if electric burst is all that worth it with the B12 OS (storm cells adds more layers but idk if you can OS all 3 options). Sure the neutral reset is valuable in some MUs, but I still feel that quick charge is better paired with float and low launcher for a more all-rounded build. But hey ho what do I know?

I'M SAD HE IMMEDIATELY WENT BACK TO TW WHYYYYYY :(
Because he reflexively went F4 xx DB2, and instead of a full combo from Storm Cell, he whiffed with Summon Lightning. :eek:

But yeah, I'd be hard-pressed not to want Tele vs Fujin, whose moves are oppressive, but whose animations also lock him down for ages...

Mandolore1123

Because he reflexively went F4 xx DB2, and instead of a full combo from Storm Cell, he whiffed with Summon Lightning. :eek:

But yeah, I'd be hard-pressed not to want Tele vs Fujin, whose moves are oppressive, but whose animations also lock him down for ages...
I'm just peeved he didn't stick to float longer. Han clearly wasn't ready to deal with it, and Raiden does well against Fujin full screen imo. Not to mention discharge destroys Warped Needle.

Mandolore1123

PI making top 8 with float and beating a TW player. I feel somewhat better now

EDIT: He's got a lot of videos on his channel with the float variation, I suspect he's made his entire tournament run using this variation.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
At least he used it :( Just wish he would have stuck to it. Ppl just think Raiden as a "hurt durr TW" or "jUsT b12 mAn" and it's clearly not the case
Yeah, I think float is pretty slept on. I don't think people are lazy, but it does seem like there's a lot of people who form 2 minute opinions about characters and never bother to try and learn anything more.

Storm Cell = Braindead easy combo extender/launcher, so that's all a lot of people ever bother with.

Mandolore1123

Yeah, I think float is pretty slept on. I don't think people are lazy, but it does seem like there's a lot of people who form 2 minute opinions about characters and never bother to try and learn anything more.

Storm Cell = Braindead easy combo extender/launcher, so that's all a lot of people ever bother with.
Float is missing just that tiny bit more. :( Really hope they show Raiden some love for his Customs. And maybe finally make lightning strike do more damage lol

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Float is missing just that tiny bit more. :( Really hope they show Raiden some love for his Customs. And maybe finally make lightning strike do more damage lol
Biggest thing I hope they adjust is Jo Push and Lightning Rod. But I get the feeling that NRS is going to keep things small and conservative.

Mandolore1123

Biggest thing I hope they adjust is Jo Push and Lightning Rod. But I get the feeling that NRS is going to keep things small and conservative.
I don't really mind what they do at this point. Too captivated by GGST and Faust. They will probably drop something in April or after Pro Komp. I really hope they give this game a longer lifespan and spice things up as they go along but I've learned to keep my expectations low. I'm not playing a lot now and when I do I'm still doing ok so ehh.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I've found lightning rod to actually be a good move in customs, what would you want buffed about it? It's a nice and cheap late round move. But I wouldn't mind seeing it combo from juggles a but better, something in the corner

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I've found lightning rod to actually be a good move in customs, what would you want buffed about it? It's a nice and cheap late round move. But I wouldn't mind seeing it combo from juggles a but better, something in the corner
Mainly just the duration. Right now I find it pretty resource heavy and difficult to safely/consistently set up for very low reward. I'd love it if the normal version stayed out for something like 10 seconds, and the amped version stays out 1-2 more seconds than it currently does now.

Raiden loses his Staff moves while it's out, so it's a risk on his part, but then he'd have a bit more of a zoning threat or even some possible combo options. It'd also give his Staff Recall a purpose. Extending the window on the Amped rod would let him chip/pressure a bit more without instantly having to commit.

If you have some good setups or custom layouts to use with Lightning Rod I'd love to hear them, I think it's a cool concept for a move, I've just never been able to find a way to make it work unless the opponent simply doesn't know what they're doing.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Mainly just the duration. Right now I find it pretty resource heavy and difficult to safely/consistently set up for very low reward. I'd love it if the normal version stayed out for something like 10 seconds, and the amped version stays out 1-2 more seconds than it currently does now.

Raiden loses his Staff moves while it's out, so it's a risk on his part, but then he'd have a bit more of a zoning threat or even some possible combo options. It'd also give his Staff Recall a purpose. Extending the window on the Amped rod would let him chip/pressure a bit more without instantly having to commit.

If you have some good setups or custom layouts to use with Lightning Rod I'd love to hear them, I think it's a cool concept for a move, I've just never been able to find a way to make it work unless the opponent simply doesn't know what they're doing.
I use a hipster variation without a launcher and Superman Punch not giving me easy corner carry(Float/Punch/Rod), so I usually set it up after Summon Lightning, Superbolt Amp. Really you don't need a great setup most of the time, it's not that slow and it stays out on block. I think it's good oki tool if you think the opponent is gonna be aggressive or it can just help lock them down for a sec.

The cheapest thing you can do with it IMO is just put it inbetween you and the opponent. If Raiden isn't threatened at range in the MU(which is part of why I like float for its evasiveness), then the move can be a bit obnoxious as a zoning and turtling tool. Like you're nursing a lifelead against straight fireball Johnny and you just throw out bubble while they want to play neutral, or you time someone out because they can't get through bubble in time. Personally I've found it to be a solid move, maybe just not one to justify choosing over other options. I could take some buffs though. Regardless, it's a very fun move!

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

I use a hipster variation without a launcher and Superman Punch not giving me easy corner carry(Float/Punch/Rod), so I usually set it up after Summon Lightning, Superbolt Amp. Really you don't need a great setup most of the time, it's not that slow and it stays out on block. I think it's good oki tool if you think the opponent is gonna be aggressive or it can just help lock them down for a sec.

The cheapest thing you can do with it IMO is just put it inbetween you and the opponent. If Raiden isn't threatened at range in the MU(which is part of why I like float for its evasiveness), then the move can be a bit obnoxious as a zoning and turtling tool. Like you're nursing a lifelead against straight fireball Johnny and you just throw out bubble while they want to play neutral, or you time someone out because they can't get through bubble in time. Personally I've found it to be a solid move, maybe just not one to justify choosing over other options. I could take some buffs though. Regardless, it's a very fun move!
Without going into how good or bad the variation is (just use what you want, it's the point of customs). I'd like to caution against using float for counterzoning. Very often Raiden will scoot himself backwards if you're doing the diagonal projectile...right into the projectile you were supposed to avoid (not to mention the diagonal projectile is -4 on hit anyway). Most times any high projectile will hit you out of float anyways, so you have to do preemptive stomps that are susceptible to whiff punishes. Again, play what you want, but that's my personal experience with float for counter zoning. Still glad you're repping float though. There needs to be more Raiden players who experiment with customs!

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I use a hipster variation without a launcher and Superman Punch not giving me easy corner carry(Float/Punch/Rod), so I usually set it up after Summon Lightning, Superbolt Amp.
That's cool, I'm all about hipster variations. At one point I was considering playing something similar with Float/Rod/DOT cloud. My hipster variation is Teleport + Quick Charge. Gives Raiden his best movement, anti-air, and reversal.

Mandolore1123

PI VS Grr
Float VS Shifting sands. Haven't watched this in full yet but I really hope PI sheds more light onto this move so ppl will finally acknowledge it.

EDIT: 6min in and holy moly this MU looks very very tough for Raiden without a teleport.

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I keep forgetting to try this out. Can you tell me your experience with this?
It's interesting. I feel like it forces me to play super patiently, and it feels very demanding. The damage is pretty low so you're not really threatening the opponent with any big punishes, meaning the opponent can feel good taking risks. It's a struggle to make any kind of comeback, and you're really going to need to outhit your opponent since they're going to be doing more damage on touch than you are.

But it is nice knowing that you have good options to deal with almost any opponent's shenanigans. If the opponent is jumping a lot you can catch them with an easy 20% anti air, if they're throwing out too much spam projectiles you can just teleport in and punish, or you can use teleport as way to avoid some of their tough setups. If you're good with the quick charge reversal (I'm not) you can punish some stuff the opponent thinks is safe. The damage is almost always unbreakable so you don't need to worry about the opponent breaking away.

Overall I find myself wanting to try other custom moves, or just go back to TW/Raijin, but it's a fun experiment now and again just to see what it's like to try and rely on pure fundamentals.

It's actually been awhile since I've played MK, I should get back into it and start trying stuff again.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Float VS Shifting sands. Haven't watched this in full yet but I really hope PI sheds more light onto this move so ppl will finally acknowledge it.
Every time I see the capital "I" it makes me think it's an L and that it's Perfect Legend playing as Raiden.

Mandolore1123

It's interesting. I feel like it forces me to play super patiently, and it feels very demanding. The damage is pretty low so you're not really threatening the opponent with any big punishes, meaning the opponent can feel good taking risks. It's a struggle to make any kind of comeback, and you're really going to need to outhit your opponent since they're going to be doing more damage on touch than you are.

But it is nice knowing that you have good options to deal with almost any opponent's shenanigans. If the opponent is jumping a lot you can catch them with an easy 20% anti air, if they're throwing out too much spam projectiles you can just teleport in and punish, or you can use teleport as way to avoid some of their tough setups. If you're good with the quick charge reversal (I'm not) you can punish some stuff the opponent thinks is safe. The damage is almost always unbreakable so you don't need to worry about the opponent breaking away.

Overall I find myself wanting to try other custom moves, or just go back to TW/Raijin, but it's a fun experiment now and again just to see what it's like to try and rely on pure fundamentals.

It's actually been awhile since I've played MK, I should get back into it and start trying stuff again.
I've been pretty busy and when I do play Raiden it's always float because I'm still working out how to optimise and be better at this. Maybe I'll give this variation a spin. Should be interesting. Thanks!