What's new

Raiden Match Footage

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Yeah, it has some use, but all in all I'd rather shorthop attack (which has decent range actually and is more difficult to punish).. trying to get that sweet KB is just too risky as they'll wakeup U3 or delay wakeup, or roll and full punish me
I think it only really works if you're able to end a combo with it in the corner, to set up the 50/50 between B2 and B3 on wakeup. That's only way to get the risk/reward in your favor.

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
Yeah, that's good. Well, I guess Raiden is not a 50/50 char so I guess it's fine he doesn't have an overpowered overhead

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I think it only really works if you're able to end a combo with it in the corner, to set up the 50/50 between B2 and B3 on wakeup. That's only way to get the risk/reward in your favor.
You can frame trap into B2 too from a lot of Raiden's normals on hit, since they have double digit hit advantage. F3 and F2 are two that come to mind. Of course it's safer just go strike/throw, but most people tend to block low against Raiden against the mid, or to potentially duck a throw, so B2 is the last thing they are expecting.

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
But wont F2 push them too far? Also I think F3 had a poor hit advantage iirc, like 5f?

Mandolore1123

But wont F2 push them too far? Also I think F3 had a poor hit advantage iirc, like 5f?
F3 is +15; F2 is +18, both are frame traps into B3/B2 in addition to jailing into strike/throw
You can microdash into B2 or max range B2 can work too from F2

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

A set against one of the best players I know. Appreciate any and all feedback, considering I get absolutely destroyed

Notes:
  • Should have used more D3
  • Press less buttons
  • lab oki options
  • hit confirm better

Last edited:

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
A set against one of the best players I know. Appreciate any and all feedback, considering I get absolutely destroyed
Cool set. I'm not the best raiden player and i'm sure someone who actually mains him and that variation ( I no longer dabble with ) can give better advice maybe but here's some things I've noticed.

You're not focused on what the opponent is doing majority of the time. Seems like you're being too risky and throwing out attacks from afar not caring if it hits the opponent. Work on your spacing/neutral. You don't need to move towards scorpion all the time if he backs up, let him come to you. You were blocking his spear projectile and taking chip damage, just duck so that it whiffs. You should mix your b1 starting strings more. I noticed you hardly ended the b1,2 string with the 1+3 grab, don't be afraid to use it once in a blue moon. If you get hit with d2 kb oh well they can only use it in a match one time so let it be early on. It's not like you can't breakaway after the kb. I also noticed your opponent got use to you not going for the grab and just blocking after b1,2 string so he poked with crouching attack after you did b1,2 majority of the time. You could've done the overhead b1,4 string every so often to force him to respect the b1 starting strings. It's unsafe if blocked but it's worth letting the opponent know you have that overhead option, then you can switch it up to something else. B1 has stagger, don't be afraid to use b1 twice or more in a row to train the opponent to respect it before continuing with the string. Also don't be afraid to cancel b1,2, into one of his special moves like db4 or df2 if you think the opponent will try to duck the grab ender or poke you with a crouching attack. Don't crouch block every time. You have many options with b1 starter string take advantage of them to mix the opponent up. F3 has stagger too, which gives you a couple of options to mix that up. You aren't blocking enough on wake up when you're not using wake up attack or roll. Stop leaving yourself open and work on your defense.

I think that's enough feedback. Hope you learned a little from what i stated.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Cool set. I'm not the best raiden player and i'm sure someone who actually mains him and that variation ( I no longer dabble with ) can give better advice maybe but here's some things I've noticed.

You're not focused on what the opponent is doing majority of the time. Seems like you're being too risky and throwing out attacks from afar not caring if it hits the opponent. Work on your spacing/neutral. You don't need to move towards scorpion all the time if he backs up, let him come to you. You were blocking his spear projectile and taking chip damage, just duck so that it whiffs. You should mix your b1 starting strings more. I noticed you hardly ended the b1,2 string with the 1+3 grab, don't be afraid to use it once in a blue moon. If you get hit with d2 kb oh well they can only use it in a match one time so let it be early on. It's not like you can't breakaway after the kb. I also noticed your opponent got use to you not going for the grab and just blocking after b1,2 string so he poke with crouching attack after you did b1,2 majority of the time. You could've did the overhead b1,4 string every so often to force him to respect the b1 starting strings. It's unsafe if blocked but it's worth letting the opponent know you have that overhead option, then you can switch it up to something else. B1 has stagger, don't be afraid to use b1 twice or more in a row to train the opponent to respect it before continuing with the string. Also don't be afraid to cancel b1,2, into one of his special moves like db4 or df2 if you think the opponent will try to duck the grab ender or poke you with and crouching attack. Don't crouch block every time. You have many options with b1 starter string take advantage of them to mix the opponent up. F3 has stagger too, which gives you a couple of options to mix that up. You aren't blocking enough on wake up when you're not using wake up attack or roll. Stop leaving yourself open and work on your defense.

I think that's enough feedback. Hope you learned a little from what i stated.
I staggered B12 because he knew how to OS the strike/throw. But thanks for the feedback.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium

Notes:
  • Should have used more D3
  • Press less buttons
  • lab oki options
  • hit confirm better
While I'm not a Raiden player, I do very much like to give match feedback to people so here goes.

1. Your neutral game from a distance consists only of Raiden's charge normals (F3/F2) and random D4s with minimal attempts at reading the opponent's movement. As such, he regularly spaced out your normals and punished you.
  2. I saw multiple instances of you doing D1 on wakeup which seems an odd choice, especially considering you were doing it when he wasn't even on top of you.
  3. Don't use breakaway when he's sitting at 70%+ and you at 30%- in the first round. It leaves you defenseless to his pressure, locks you out of your defensive meter for a long ass time, and is overall a waste.
  4. Toss some other stagger options into your B12 staggers. He started to figure out that he could jump or poke out easily because you were only doing B12. Finish the string, D3, D1, F3, F32, backdash into F11, backdash into nothing, backdash into F4, Electric Fly cancel, hop attacks, empty hops into a low, etc.
  5. You take a huge, unnecessary risk tossing out Raiden's stupidly slow projectile at a Scorpion. I'd honestly just act like the move doesn't exist when fighting him.
  6. Anytime you get a knockdown, especially with Discharge, your #1 priority should be getting Quick Charge back up.
  7. If you have the life lead, don't chase Scorpion down. All it does is put more risk on yourself against a character with no full screen threat if you just sit there ducking. Make him come to you.

Mandolore1123

While I'm not a Raiden player, I do very much like to give match feedback to people so here goes.

1. Your neutral game from a distance consists only of Raiden's charge normals (F3/F2) and random D4s with minimal attempts at reading the opponent's movement. As such, he regularly spaced out your normals and punished you.
  2. I saw multiple instances of you doing D1 on wakeup which seems an odd choice, especially considering you were doing it when he wasn't even on top of you.
  3. Don't use breakaway when he's sitting at 70%+ and you at 30%- in the first round. It leaves you defenseless to his pressure, locks you out of your defensive meter for a long ass time, and is overall a waste.
  4. Toss some other stagger options into your B12 staggers. He started to figure out that he could jump or poke out easily because you were only doing B12. Finish the string, D3, D1, F3, F32, backdash into F11, backdash into nothing, backdash into F4, Electric Fly cancel, hop attacks, empty hops into a low, etc.
  5. You take a huge, unnecessary risk tossing out Raiden's stupidly slow projectile at a Scorpion. I'd honestly just act like the move doesn't exist when fighting him.
  6. Anytime you get a knockdown, especially with Discharge, your #1 priority should be getting Quick Charge back up.
  7. If you have the life lead, don't chase Scorpion down. All it does is put more risk on yourself against a character with no full screen threat if you just sit there ducking. Make him come to you.
Cheers for the feedback. I know my neutral needs work. Those D4s should have been D3s because I have terrible reactions and in the first set with this person I got hit by a spear KB every single match. But I’m getting batter at reacting so hopefully this can change. On the subject of B12 staggers, in the first few matches I was able to back dash and punish his pokes, but he then switched to a longer poke and caught my back dashes. I’m -8 after B12 so there’s a limit to how much I can do, and I was nervous playing against someone who knew the OS and the MU so well.

Mandolore1123

This isn’t really anything special MU-wise, but I figured it’d be good to show some more optimised TW play from Pluralmite. 27-28% unbreakable off storm cell is better than what Raijin can get even with the buff from armour break, and there’s some new corner combo swag.

Specific inputs for @Marlow to add to the combo thread
Unbreakable:
starter~DB2AMP, F2, D2

Corner swag:
Starter~DB2AMP, BB, D2, B12~FB/F32/B12~DU

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
This isn’t really anything special MU-wise, but I figured it’d be good to show some more optimised TW play from Pluralmite. 27-28% unbreakable off storm cell is better than what Raijin can get even with the buff from armour break, and there’s some new corner combo swag.

Unbreakable:
starter~DB2AMP, F2, D2

Corner swag:

Can't the opponent still break out of storm cell, as long as they do it on the first hit?

Mandolore1123

Can't the opponent still break out of storm cell, as long as they do it on the first hit?
Oh they changed it so opponents can no longer break out in the middle of storm cell. So stuff like B12~DB2 can’t be broken. The only string where you’ll get punished is B31 because the second hit makes the opponent airborne

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden

Unbreakable:
starter~DB2AMP, F2, D2

Corner swag:
What?! :eek:
Nice techs!

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Hey guys please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel for Raiden gameplay I've been a day 1 Raiden main.

Here's a double Flawless victory I got on a Kabal player in Kombat League . Gamertag Forever Infern0

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Look what I found guys!
lol
That's some of the better T&L gameplay I've seen. Helps when the opponent blindly walks through Lightning Rod.

You can seen grains of a solid gameplan in there when he's using the amped Lightning Rod between the two of them, to limit Baraka's approach. I like how the rod lets you control space and movement. The problem though is there wasn't a ton of payoff off of that. Still, great fundamental gameplay let the Raiden player keep things fairly close.

Mandolore1123

That's some of the better T&L gameplay I've seen. Helps when the opponent blindly walks through Lightning Rod.

You can seen grains of a solid gameplan in there when he's using the amped Lightning Rod between the two of them, to limit Baraka's approach. I like how the rod lets you control space and movement. The problem though is there wasn't a ton of payoff off of that. Still, great fundamental gameplay let the Raiden player keep things fairly close.
Agreed on all fronts. When the Baraka gets impatient and moves forward Raiden can get some damage in, but since there’s so little hit advantage if the opponent just moves backwards Raiden probably can’t capitalise at all. I will say the chip damage from doing projectiles reflected off the rod is pretty stupid though

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
How much chip does he get?

I feel like most of the time the opponent can either quickly counter zone with a faster projectile and likely hit Raiden before chip becomes an issue, simply backup quickly and take the quick hit from the rod bubble knowing Raiden can't capitalize, or just wait patiently for a few secs.

Now I'm really excited to try my custom variation with the Rod, thunder cloud, and float stance move. Except my wife put up the ironing board and sewing machine in front of the downstairs gaming TV, so until she finishes her sewing project I can't really play MK. Married life problems, I guess.

Mandolore1123

How much chip does he get?

I feel like most of the time the opponent can either quickly counter zone with a faster projectile and likely hit Raiden before chip becomes an issue, simply backup quickly and take the quick hit from the rod bubble knowing Raiden can't capitalize, or just wait patiently for a few secs.

Now I'm really excited to try my custom variation with the Rod, thunder cloud, and float stance move. Except my wife put up the ironing board and sewing machine in front of the downstairs gaming TV, so until she finishes her sewing project I can't really play MK. Married life problems, I guess.
Monstrous chip. I don’t have the exact time stamp but in that video Raiden did a regular BF1 with the rod in front of Baraka, but the life bar showed 2 separate hits landing and dealing massive chip even though technically only the redirected bolt front the rod landed on Baraka.

This video from @ElectricHat (sorry mate this is from your YT I think?) shows just how much chip can be done with a single DF2, but of course the problems pile in with how exactly to land the DF2 :(

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I think for the cost of the 1 bar, the chip is worth it, considering how difficult it is to actually get the chip.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Now my Youtube feed getting filled with Truth & Light vids. I checked a few out to see if they were worth posting, but most of them were low quality in terms of the gameplay.