What's new

Raiden Match Footage

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!

holy shit everyone here needs to see this. Raijin Raiden might be more viable than we thought.
We are aware of his discharge being a combo extender, The fact that you can only extend combos with a buff that is temporary makes the variation hella gimmicky and risky. Think of BRC drunken master, Very interesting concept on paper but in reality the variation is cheeks.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
That was sick. Played displacer in MKX but wasn’t feeling him this game. I want to see him more than I currently do though.
Yes, All the teleport shenanigans are still possible. And instead of teleport away into f4 big leg we got teleport away into f4 full combo punish :cool:

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: PlayingNeutral
Feedback is much appreciated.Please watch after the first set as well this was my first time bringing him out of the lab.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Feedback is much appreciated.Please watch after the first set as well this was my first time bringing him out of the lab.
1: F4 - I think you could use this move a lot more in the neutral. It’s a long range decently fast mid that’s safe and is your most damaging combo starter. Especially after a D4 on hit since it’s a great frametrap. They cannot jump forward or backward or D1 out of it.
2: Hit confirming - You’re missing a lot of confirms off B31 and F11, so that’s dropped damage. Especially since F112 is unsafe so you can’t throw it out in neutral. Block confirm into superman cancel and hit confirm into storm cell (I suck at block confirming so I guess I’m not really qualified to judge though :( )
3: Combos - You’re doing B31~DB2AMP, DUD, B12~BF3 into mediocre damage when it’s easier to do B31~DB2AMP, JI2, JI3~BF3 into more damage. Just hit the JI2 late and the JI3 on the way up and you’re good to go :) Watch out for breakaways though. They usually occur after DB2AMP or JI2, so stop your combo to capitalise or do JI2, D2 to get the most damage out of the breakaway.

All in all, you’re not doing DB2 on block so that automatically makes you a better Raiden player than me :) Wish I could find out how to stop myself from doing that. Good luck mate

Mandolore1123

Raiden VS Scorpion
I think Dalphanate says it pretty well. Raiden is good. It’s just that other characters play his game better than he does. Hopefully lightning strike gets better frames in the next patch. He’s probably fine other than that

Mandolore1123

Patient Impulse (Raiden) VS Jackal (Shao Kahn)
Impulse seems to the doing a lot of D1~Storm Cell which lead to him getting punished. Not a lot of effective zoning because lightning strike is so bad Shao can punish it from half screen. Impulse also ends corner combos with teleport and I’m not sure what use it has over superman.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yeah I wouldn't do lightning strike against someone with a good slide, kick or ram that can reach you mid or far. Thankfully most characters this isn't an issue.

Mandolore1123

How would you all handle this matchup? Seems Cetrion has both good staggers and good zoning to boot.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner

Dalphanate using Raijin (and some TW) in KL.
I saw that last night and was about to post a link to it here, but yea, good Raiden matches there. That guy is the only one who plays Raiden in tournaments consistently. Compare that to all the high level players that used Raiden in MKX:

• Digit (won Texas Showdown 2015)
  • GGA Dizzy (won Combo Breaker 2015)
  • Nivek
  • Perfect Legend
  • Lil Majin
  • Goony
  • Rewind (won one or two online tournaments towards the end of MKX)
  • K-TOP (i don't know if he won anything, but his Thunder God Raiden was unreal, the best IMO)
And that's just off the top of my head, I am sure I am forgetting someone. Raiden needs to be buffed more so we get more representation in the tournament scene.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
I saw Lil Majin stream a little MK11 while maining Raiden. He pretty much hated how the character plays from what I saw. Nothing but complaints.

I'm thinking the character is strongly A tier right now in the Raijin variation? Having a safe combo ender really saves the B12 string, and with a launcher as well he seems pretty solid.

His projectiles are still ass and Raijin doesn't have a great answer for zoning (though the less chip is nice), so we'll see. All in all I don't think he's top 5, so it'll take someone that loves the character to really make him shine in tournament, I think.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nevermind the tournament scene but in general Raiden needs more rep, I think I've played about 3, maybe 4 Raiden's since this game came out online online lol. that's out of literally a few thousand matches online in total throughout all modes. Can literally count them on one hand. Though everyone is running to Rajin now due to the buffs, I'm sticking with TW even though it's more inferior now. I can't play Raiden without the teleport, it's just not Raiden then.

Mandolore1123

Dalphanate using Raijin against Happypow using Liu Kang. MU is very much in Liu’s favour I feel. If Liu dedicates to zoning there’s little Raijin can do to contest.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -

Dalphanate using Raijin against Happypow using Liu Kang. MU is very much in Liu’s favour I feel. If Liu dedicates to zoning there’s little Raijin can do to contest.
Nice first to 10.
My thoughts- Dalph did great fighting at Raiden's natural midscreen footsie range. Lots of his early losses were not fighting in that space and trying to go toe to toe with Liu Kang in jab range. Dalph adapts and plays distance footsies and gets some wins (does well around the 20ish minute mark if I remember correctly), and then Happy starts using his projectile game as an adaptation.
Dalph needs to work on hit and block confirming B12. He lost some rounds doing the wrong ender. Also a few input errors (especially early in the set) that I get all the time as someone coming from Thunderwave, so I can relate. For a long set, he's relying on B12 far too much. It just becomes a predictable spacing and attack pattern that Happy picked up on. I really feel Dalph did the best when he started mixing it up, throwing in F2, the occasional F3, etc.

So, my overall analysis (as someone who is not nearly as good as these players, so don't take it wrong :-p )
Dalph needs to be more mindful of his range, work with his other strings to better contest that range, and work on properly hit confirming B12. That said, I think it was a strong set by both players and I'm glad it was posted. :)