What's new

Raiden General Discussion Thread

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It would be better imo if his trait lasted twice as long and had more cooldown
It might be better that way but I've come around on his trait, I like how often you can use it. It's not like Dex Starr or Superman's trait where it's this huge buff. and I just think it's more interesting when I can buff up more often. It's versatile, I can use it neutral, mid combo or after a good knockdown and it doesn't feel like a waste.

Deep33

Noob
Raiden is no bottom tier
I've been having a ton of fun with Lord Raiden lately.

Today I learned that his fireball can be charged up to two levels for more damage and causing two different hard knockdowns, and you can combo off it! Swaggy.

I've been trying to play him like defensive shoto sort of. I'll harass with fireballs of different timings, dash cancel out of it to keep them guessing and build that meter and get trait out. When trait is out teleport is way more dangerous and makes your fireball way better. You can use the unique trait MB version to catch opponents jumping, set up traps and for plus frames. He can use trait teleport or Superman to help him get out of the corner. A lot of jump arcs seem to be punishable on reaction with Superman, at least at those mid ranges. If you have a ton of meter, you can check the opponent with spark port to keep your life lead up. I feel like he can get a lot of mileage out of a defensive gameplan like this in a bunch of matchups. He'll build meter, when he does get a good hit he'll get a ton of corner carry out of it and he can just be really annoying in a fair and lame way. But most of that goes out the window in matchups where he can't zone or counter zone well enough to enforce a gameplan like that.

What do you guys do in a matchup like Ivy? You can't really play that defensively because drill is so oppressive. You can trade with drill, but I'm not really sure it's enough to win the round on it's own, she'll just play some neutral and milk a life lead after a knockdown. Seems like a tough one, any thoughts?
Good Raidens are extremely rare to see because he is so slept on in this game. It just takes some brains to play Raiden.

Here's one of Chopperazi smashing honeybee. Watch other clips of him fighting zoners.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
He's decent but his weaknesses are pretty well-defined still imo. It's easy to look at his strengths and see the good part of his kit since most players don't really know how to abuse his lack of some tools.

I eventually fought a good Raiden in ranked as Bane and it felt not as easy as most people make it out to be, like Bane can forward dash through his zoning semi-often but it's kinda hard to pressure him when he has even faster buttons.

Switched to Robin and it was night and day difference. He can't zone that great and once you get into the right range I don't see what Raiden's solution is to it, at least this dude didn't figure it out in our few sets. Felt like he kinda just had to deal with it. And there's a pretty good chunk of characters that can play that game against him...

And that's just the bare basics of the matchup, not even taking in like gaps being blown up, punishing him with air techs, whatever people come up with, y'know?

I think he's better than people give/gave him credit for buuutttttt his main problems when he came out can still be abused for me so idk.

Deep33

Noob
He's decent but his weaknesses are pretty well-defined still imo. It's easy to look at his strengths and see the good part of his kit since most players don't really know how to abuse his lack of some tools.

I eventually fought a good Raiden in ranked as Bane and it felt not as easy as most people make it out to be, like Bane can forward dash through his zoning semi-often but it's kinda hard to pressure him when he has even faster buttons.

Switched to Robin and it was night and day difference. He can't zone that great and once you get into the right range I don't see what Raiden's solution is to it, at least this dude didn't figure it out in our few sets. Felt like he kinda just had to deal with it. And there's a pretty good chunk of characters that can play that game against him...

And that's just the bare basics of the matchup, not even taking in like gaps being blown up, punishing him with air techs, whatever people come up with, y'know?

I think he's better than people give/gave him credit for buuutttttt his main problems when he came out can still be abused for me so idk.
What are you talking about dude? Raiden is not a zoner and he can't be zoned out by the zoners either. His gameplay is largely a gimmick composed of switching back n forth between offensive and defensive play. In any case, I just posted a video of a Raiden blowing up a supposed high tier flash in the hands of a guy who makes it to top 8, honeybee. (another one of the bums who comes up with these bum tier lists, a self proclaimed expert guiding all the sheep in town, whoop di doo). Just throw away the stupid tier lists, stop drinking the kool-aid, forget what you heard and play any character you like. Worst case scenario, if your character is low tier, your game play will keep improving while the guy playing the supposed high tier character will stagnate.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
This Babyseal-Pan cat has a lot of great Raiden oriented videos on youtube, here's one about punishing every character's wakeup. He has timestamps in the comments.