What's new

Raiden General Discussion Thread

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
No, the design of injustice is intended to be fairly ubiquitous across character selection ie smash bros. (Not comparing the two, but it's one of the reasons Injustice is far more accessible than Mortal Kombat. F3 should always launch. So assigning the mkx f4 to b2 is fine with me. Regardless it needs to be part of his tool set in order to make his teleport useful and respected.
I guess there is some logic in having the same input do the same thing for all characters in terms of ease of picking up a new character and learning them quickly, but I've always been a fan of having one or two characters play somewhat differently, just to make things interesting. Plus, with somebody like Raiden who is a guest character from another franchise, it would kind of make sense to "break the rules", in a manner of speaking.

I would disagree about Injustice being more accessible than MK though. I, for one, have a really hard time adjusting to the former from the latter. My biggest hurdle is the lack of a block button. Back to block has never made sense to me, in any game I've tried it in, and to this day I haven't gotten used to it and I don't care for it. Plus, you have ambiguous cross-over jumps + back to block in the same fighting game. That's a very poor combination in my opinion, because it makes for a lot of frustration as opposed to a fun gaming experience. Both of those things make the game less accessible imo.

Last edited:

copper

Noob
Blocking ambiguous cross ups are honestly pretty ridiculous in this game and would go so far as to say it's bad game design. No other fighting game in recent memory demands the player react to an aerial 50/50 in an instant. And if we're being honest with ourselves, super girl is one of the most poorly conceived fighting game characters ever made for this reason regardless of whether the teleport is react-able online or offline; its simply doesn't make for a fun experience. I meant more in terms of character accessibility, execution, muscle memory etc. In those aspects, this game is very beginner friendly.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Blocking ambiguous cross ups are honestly pretty ridiculous in this game and would go so far as to say it's bad game design. No other fighting game in recent memory demands the player react to an aerial 50/50 in an instant. And if we're being honest with ourselves, super girl is one of the most poorly conceived fighting game characters ever made for this reason regardless of whether the teleport is react-able online or offline; its simply doesn't make for a fun experience. I meant more in terms of character accessibility, execution, muscle memory etc. In those aspects, this game is very beginner friendly.
Yea, you won't get an argument from me there. Blocking ambiguous cross-up is pretty terrible. Such a thing should not exist in a fighting game that wants to be a good fighting game. I don't know about Street Fighter (despite many attempts I haven't been able to get into it, no story or a lackluster one, lack of character depth, overly complicated inputs), but Tekken also has back to block and there are most certainly no cross-ups there (unless they added them to Tekken 7, which I have yet to play), much less ambiguous ones.

copper

Noob
No cross ups in tekken really. Tekken has always been one of the premiere fighters for its commitment to fundamentals, spacing, and lack of gimmicks. I’m better at nrs games than street fighter maybe because I also enjoy them more. But I’ve never gotten frustrated at street fighter in the same way I have when Batman is jumping over me. When you actually do a character break down, half the cast is built around gimmicks. Gorilla grod - initially infinite cross ups, super girl active cross up teleport, bane- knockdown pressure command grabs, canary - resets for days with trait. Fundamentals just go out the window when you design a game like this. It’s funny that so many people (scrubs I’d say) complain about fairly honest characters like black Adam and Superman when almost everything they do revolves around spacing and is reactable. Adam still has no wake up and he’s op? Say what you want about mkx 50/50’s but it was’t lathered with the cheap stuff we see here. Not to get too far off topic. But I feel your pain.

copper

Noob
Another reasonable buff would be to make his trait give him plus frames (bats, superman, adam). At that point he could do stuff like 21d3, trait, b1/3f3 shocker.

chrisisnice

BURN FOOL!!!
Premium Supporter
Quick question... Which of Raiden's Character Powers is the best to use - Lightning buff, traps or the power cell?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Hello everyone. I've been going through the entire cast doing interactable combos and set-ups. This is my video for Raiden. I hope you all find something useful out of it.
It's like Tony-T is back in action. Sick interactable combos, bro.

Quick note:

Try doing double interactable combos. You might find an use out of this one here.

It's like Tony-T is back in action. Sick interactable combos, bro.

Quick note:

Try doing double interactable combos. You might find an use out of this one here.

That's awesome! I haven't gotten to Sub yet. I've noticed that gadget characters tend to have more combo potential from the interactables than power characters though.

kcd117

Noob
I don't know if it was already possible but now ending combos in f1d3 set's up the perfect distance for a very ambiguous jump in 2 if they don't delay wakeup, and if they do you still get a free mixup. It get's stuffed by DPs but some characters can be abused by it.

I just played you in a ranked set scarsunseen. I was black Adam . You would have won a few of those rounds if you could actually pressure. (Not you, but if the character would let you.the only move that connects after f3 is f2 ).

kcd117

Noob
Still bottom 3. Honestly it is not that hard to make him viable, just give him his big boot back, being something like +7, make f12 and f2 +1 on block and he suddenly has a decent pressure. Or, alternatively, remove the gap and pushback in his f2b3 s3b3 string so he can have a conditioning game. Or make traited raiden the regular raiden and give him a dmg boost trait idk... unlike joker/cold/deadshot raiden is not even a dangerous character to buff, he pretty much struggles in every area of the game and doesn't even have any dirt tbh, above average dmg is the only thing he has going for him.

honestly he is significantly better. The game play with thus character is to lock your opponent down with plus frames and go go for d1 shocker or 21d3 shocker. f12 lightning is too easy to poke out of. The second hit which is a mid behaves as a high a lot. Changing the f2 to plus 1 on block increases his pressure game dramatically. But yeah I can't think of 3 characters he's better than at this point. NRS, please listen and do a hot patch for this character.

Last edited:

DarksydeDash

With my best, I will defeat your best.
So, how does Raiden feel after the new patch?

His d3 is actually a very nice footsie tool that sets up his new ambiguous j2 and the damage he gets off 21d3 bounce cancel hurts but has his neutral been made possible?

I am so fucking sick of this useless f3. They were so happy with themselves with the made this double hitting f3. Look a the push back on block. Are you fucking kidding me paulo. If you do a special and then f3, there is no pushback. That's the way it's supposed to behave.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I am so fucking sick of this useless f3. They were so happy with themselves with the made this double hitting f3. Look a the push back on block. Are you fucking kidding me paulo. If you do a special and then f3, there is no pushback. That's the way it's supposed to behave.
It's a sick gimmick that you can special cancel it tho

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Is there an actual point to special cancelling it? Does F3xxShocker count as a bounce or can you do a B3 and it won't splat?

I don't know if everyone understood what I was saying. Scars I've played your Raiden twice so you've prob been practicing. Go into the lab and just do a raw shocker on a blocking opponent. Then do a full f3. There won't be any pushback. Not sure if it's a glitch or if it's intentional.