What's new

Raiden En Shocker greatness - video compilation

Last night I played a bunch of matches and I taped them. I noticed that not too many people use Raiden's en shocker, so I made this video to show off it's usefulness. It's 1 bar, but leads to a 26% b3 1 2 superman. It has armor!!! It can easily be done on reaction to anyone jumping in at the right distance, even works great online, which is how I taped these. It's been a great addition to my game, a sweet defensive move. Not the best quality. Windows Movie maker adds black strips to the sides, can't figure out why...anyone out there can help?

maybe it's just the vid but i can't tell whether you were catching them in mid air or on the bounce back after blocking their jump in attack. On the very last example it looked like raiden took a step back and made the kick whiff before doing the en shocker.

Ex Shocker is a good move for what you're talking about, but you have to be careful about it in higher-level play for several reasons. One is that better players jump much less spastically and much more strategically than your average online player. Another is that it's full-combo punishable if they block it. And a third is that sometimes against a good player it's wiser to save your meter. Still, it's a good tactic that I wish I saw more Raidens use.

Btw, you can actually change the combo to (ex shocker, f2~vicinity blast, dash, (b312 or 334)~superman) for about 3-4% more damage.

Ex Shocker is a good move for what you're talking about, but you have to be careful about it in higher-level play for several reasons. One is that better players jump much less spastically and much more strategically than your average online player. Another is that it's full-combo punishable if they block it. And a third is that sometimes against a good player it's wiser to save your meter. Still, it's a good tactic that I wish I saw more Raidens use.

Btw, you can actually change the combo to (ex shocker, f2~vicinity blast, dash, (b312 or 334)~superman) for about 3-4% more damage.
In high lvl play, I see tons of opportunies for this move to shine. And btw, I consider high lvl play to be tournaments even if local, basically the stuff that's on TYM's front page. Also, it's difficult to even find a post-nerf Raiden in any tourney lately. See I think Raidens will be using en shocker much more now, since a lot of Raiden's tele pressure has been "balanced" from an offensive standpoint. High level play has jumps all the time.

They shouldn't be able to block it at all, so I don't understand that one. Even an empty jump (jumping forward without attacking to get you to the ground faster and bait a counter - a good mind game in SF4/MvC3) will get caught. It's a vulnerable to a jump in 2 in 1. Like if Kitana jumps in at you with a basic attack, which you absorb, then cancels into a fan while still in the air....we're gonna take that fan to the face, which is particularly bad since a lot of nice Kitana combos start that way. But even that starts up a mind game. If Kitana trys to do that, and you know it, then you'll block the hit, block the fan, then regular shocker into combo of choice.

Now I don't understand the meter thing at all. High level play especially uses more enhanced moves and setups, so saving up for an xray is typically not feasible for most characters, and that's why you see that sort of thing sparingly in tournaments. So what do we need to save meter for? Also, landing an xray in high lvl play is imo a risky proposition, a combo finisher that ends with an xray to take the match would work. But even naked, our xray does what 34%? We get an easy 26% with one bar if we use it correctly.

Besides, what do we need meter for? En Superman? Very limited damage for going through a projectile, since it's no good at close range thanks to it's startup. I created a thread about en tele a couple days ago, and you have good ideas. But I still haven't found a way to make it work at all, and I haven't seen any vids of it yet. And I don't see anyone using it. And ex vicinity blast is useless or limited from what I've seen.

Why would you spend meter on anything else? Except of course for some very specific situations.

Gonna practice the combo though, after all, who couldn't use an extra 3-4%?

Good stuff. Hey shoshinsha, do you have any vids of you playing? Maybe I just need to be shown.

Also, I know this is still super early in this patch's life, so they'll be more good stuff to come from Raiden.

B W1zZ

Noob
Good video, en shocker is really good against jump ins, the hard part is reacting fast enough with en shocker against high level players. This can also be used against an opponent trying to cross you up. Also doing F2 VB dash 334 superman is a solid 30% followup.

As far as why you would spend meter on anything else:

It can be good to spend meter on en lightning ball if you have them cornered to keep them locked down.

En tele is good for tricking your opponent and creating an opening.

En superman has super armor on it and can get you out of some close up pressure situations, along with going through projectiles.

Basically Raiden's meter usage is entirely situational, and instead of using meter you can opt to use 1 or 2 vb into shocker for an aa combo that doesn't require meter, although it's somewhat sketchy compared to en shocker as aa.

Good video, en shocker is really good against jump ins, the hard part is reacting fast enough with en shocker against high level players. This can also be used against an opponent trying to cross you up. Also doing F2 VB dash 334 superman is a solid 30% followup.

As far as why you would spend meter on anything else:

It can be good to spend meter on en lightning ball if you have them cornered to keep them locked down.

En tele is good for tricking your opponent and creating an opening.

En superman has super armor on it and can get you out of some close up pressure situations, along with going through projectiles.

Basically Raiden's meter usage is entirely situational, and instead of using meter you can opt to use 1 or 2 vb into shocker for an aa combo that doesn't require meter, although it's somewhat sketchy compared to en shocker as aa.
I have a en tele post here on the Raiden forums. I can't find a use for it at all. And there are no vids or specific situations, just theories. Until I see it in a vid or a tournament, or until I find a use for it, I have to label it as useless.

Also, the ex superman is horrible at getting out of close range pressure, because it has startup frames before the armor kicks in, so you'll get hit right out of it. Kung Lao, Cage, and Liu Kang spring to mind, they'll hit you out of it every time if you try and escape their pressure up close. I'm not talking about on wakeup.

I just checked the Raiden frame data post, and there appears to be some debate on the superman starup. I'm gonna try ex superman out again today in close quarter situations, you may be right, and I may be crazy.

Just a heads up, you get 31% by doing 1 xx VB instead of f+2 xx VB. It seems like f+2 xx VB gets you more damage in b+312 combos, but the same or less damage from any other starter.

For the AA standing 2 combo, I like to follow up the shocker with 334, superman. Off of that and the 334 starter, I find that more consistent than the vicinity blast combos.

Just a heads up, you get 31% by doing 1 xx VB instead of f+2 xx VB. It seems like f+2 xx VB gets you more damage in b+312 combos, but the same or less damage from any other starter.
YES! Nice job. That's the way to go. Ex shocker 1 vb dash 334 superman is good stuff. 31% instead of 26%, and it's easy to do online.

Edit: I changed my mind. The f2 vb dash etc... is much more reliable, and does 30%.

Tong Lung

What is a breaker?
Great vid, I like how you teleported and then baited their jump ins. I don't think a lot of people expect you to absorb their hits with armor and follow up with a combo so I'll use this as a surprise anti air.

I usually use X-rays as counter attacks but they only do roughly 30-45% anyways so it's far more efficient to use 1 bar and get 30% off of that.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
I've been using this a little bit as well, regular shocker can also make for a very good wake up attack.