What's new

Race Against Time

How the hell does it work? I'm pretty sure it used to be easier to get in top 5% there, but now it's an absolute nightmare. Did the patch change things?
Repeating an already completed tower doesn't count towards your score. Character towers don't count towards your score. Not sure about the gauntlet and summoned towers. I've beaten Nightwolf tower last week. So, that leaves you with three island slots. One resets every eight or so hours, the others every two. Now, I can't play every day and am very lucky to have three hours a day to spend on videogames. So if the islands have one fight boss tower I am screwed.
I just woke up very early and spent an hour and a half before work grinding towers (and when I put it like that it makes me think I have an MK problem). And I barely got in after beating every towers it had to offer. But when I come back in those ten+hours I'll likely be at 10.1% or something. If I get locked out of Johnny Cage announcer for second week in a row it will be very upsetting.
Am I getting it wrong, is there some sort of strategy to these things? Consumables to raise tower stats? Resummoning towers? I really hope there is a trick and it's not to sit home all day grinding towers from dusk till dawn.

Attachments

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
Lots more people are doing it now for Johnny Cage, but that will die down.
The important thing is that it doesn't matter how many towers you do. All that matters is your score. Next time you do a tower, take a look at the score screen. It will tell you exactly what you need to do to maximize your score.
My go to strategy is end a round with a Fatal Blow, Mercy into a Brutality. For dragon stages I'll equip armor and health gems just to make it easy to grind up the score. You don't lose points for losing a round, so if you want to maximize you should lose a round to have more opportunity to do the challenges. Your limiting factor is your opponent's health (first and foremost) and the time limit.
I'm not sure if any augments or consumables factor heavily into the score. You get a small amount of points for every consumable you use, but I think that's pretty minor.
Also, on PC, there is fairly rampant cheating but I still can get top 5% without a problem with this strategy. Sitting on top 2.5% right now to get Johnny.

Lots more people are doing it now for Johnny Cage, but that will die down.
The important thing is that it doesn't matter how many towers you do. All that matters is your score. Next time you do a tower, take a look at the score screen. It will tell you exactly what you need to do to maximize your score.
My go to strategy is end a round with a Fatal Blow, Mercy into a Brutality. For dragon stages I'll equip armor and health gems just to make it easy to grind up the score. You don't lose points for losing a round, so if you want to maximize you should lose a round to have more opportunity to do the challenges. Your limiting factor is your opponent's health (first and foremost) and the time limit.
I'm not sure if any augments or consumables factor heavily into the score. You get a small amount of points for every consumable you use, but I think that's pretty minor.
Also, on PC, there is fairly rampant cheating but I still can get top 5% without a problem with this strategy. Sitting on top 2.5% right now to get Johnny.
Thanks, that helps a lot. I guess if I fail this time I'll know for sure how to get it next week.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Character towers never counted for the race.

Neither do classics.

And I think ... neither does the gauntlet.

Frankly I'm at 1% , but I beat about 60 towers.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
Things like repeated or character towers not counting toward your score isn't a new thing. It's been like that since launch.