What's new

Strategy Ra Power and Ka Servant follow-ups

Part 2 of some intense Labwork I'm doing. I decided to split it up in multiple threads instead of one bigass thread with too much random info.

Ra Power (b2,3, u,1+3)
Ra Power is the most damaging ender of b2,3. It causes a hard knockdown and leaves Black Adam in the perfect spot to play footsies. This ender should mostly be used if you want to keep pressuring your opponent or if you want to bait wake up attacks and whiff punish them. And of course when you're trailing from behind and need to make a comeback.

1. Dash mixup

Ra Power is +9 but after a dash you are at -6. Despite being in negative frames I am often still able to pressure and mixup up close because the opponent can have trouble reacting to the dash. This is due to the fact that they are anticipating a jump in and jumps need a lot of focus to block or AA properly. So they sometimes are surprised when I quickly dash up in their face like that. Use this sparingly.

Dash up to the opponent and mixup with the following:
  • d1 xx Lightning Storm (can catch backdash)
  • d3 (catches backdash) / b2
  • Throw / 3
  • Block
  • Walk back
  • Backdash
  • Forward Jump (to chase backdash)
2. Cross-up / Ambiguous Dive Kick MB

j2 right after Ra Power will cross-up, but only if the opponent stays in place. If the opponent is holding back to block, then j2 will hit in front. However, now if you do a late Far Dive Kick MB it will cross-up. Actually depending on the timing the dive kick can hit in front or behind. Sometimes both hit in front but you appear behind them. Point is, it's very tricky and they not only have to fuzzy guard they have to guess which way to block and which way you'll end up.

Obviously, you can also decide to cancel your cross-up with a Close Dive Kick MB. But with this particular knockdown that will not work very often. This works best in other types of knockdowns where they get up closer and are still in cross-up range even when holding back.

Note that Dive Kick MB is +frames on block so it's very good even if the opponent manages to block it.

3. Unpredictable Zoning

At this range, Lightning Strike is probably the last thing your opponent expects you to do. If you wanted to zone, surely you would have ended with u1 right? That's right. And that's why they'll get caught off guard from time to time. After this knockdown they fear Black Adam's oki dive kick MB the most. They usually expect you to dash in or jump in so more often than not they will backdash or press buttons. But Lightning Strike will hit them if they do.
  • Lightning Strike (catches backdash, loses to forward/neutral jump)
  • Lightning Storm (catches neutral/forward jump, whiffs on backdash and back jump)
Now you're probably thinking: Most of those mixup options would get blown up by wake up attacks and/or armor. Yes, yes indeed. And with some luck that's also what your opponent is thinking. Which makes this knockdown all the more powerful.

4. Whiff Punishing

Because sometimes it's just fun to let your opponent hang himself.
  • Walk back whiff punish
  • Jump back whiff punish
  • Backdash whiff punish
  • Cross-up cancel whiff punish
  • Dash block punish
Eventually I'd like to cover all characters wake up options to know precisely what the best way to avoid and punish them are. But chances are these 4 tricks can be applied to a good chunk of the cast.

5. Anti-Air bypassing

Some moves are designed to knock stuff out of the air. They usually have a similar diagonal hitbox aiming upwards. These were designed to counter normal jump ins. But Black Adam isn't normal is he. No sir he can alter his jump arc trajectory at will and at any point while he's in the air. IA Dive Kick is a way to land sooner and avoid or beat certain AAs.

But in addition to that, he can also modify his hurtbox using j1 and j3. These will make Black Adam's horizontal hurtbox smaller, causing again some AA moves to whiff that would normally hit an empty jump or a j2.
  • Altering jump arc trajectory with instant air Dive Kick
  • Modifying hurtbox with j1 or j3
  • cancelling j1/j3 into Dive Kick
I still need to test these on more characters AAs. But as shown in the vid it definitely works vs Batman's Up Batarang and Sky Grapple.

Ka Servant (b2,3, u,1)
Ka Servant sends the opponent full screen, the ideal place for zoning. This ender should mostly be used if you're looking to protect the life lead. Getting sent full screen like this can be frustrating for rushdown characters. It can make your opponent impatient and get them to commit hasty mistakes. Not recommended against superior zoners or when you're trailing from behind.

1. To Lightning or not to Lightning?

First, this knockdown is techable and thus its frame advantage is relative to gravity scaling. The more hits you do during a juggle, the quicker the opponent will fall to the ground and the quicker they will be able to get up while your recovery is unchanged. This is important to know for a few reasons.

Every little frame altered this way matters because it can be the difference between a meaty Lightning Strike that will chip FTW and a failed Lightning Strike that will cost you the match.

This combo grants an inescapable Lightning Strike that must be blocked:
-b2,3, u1 > Lightning Strike

This combo makes Lightning Strike only avoidable via a back roll jump:
-j2, 1,1 xx trait, b2 xx Lightning Cage MB, b3, j3, b2,3, u1 > Lightning Strike

These combos make Lightning Strike not hit meaty (can be jumped without needing to roll back):
-j2, b2,3, 1,1 xx Black Magic, dash, b2,3, u1 > Lightning Strike
-j2, 1,1 xx trait, b2,3, 1,1 xx Black Magic, dash, b2,3, u1 > Lightning Strike

You should try to anticipate and preemptively punish the jump ins. Or react to them with black magic.

Now with that in mind, these are the suggested zoning followups after Ka Servant:
  • Lightning Strike
  • Black Magic
  • Delayed Lightning Strike
  • Delayed Black Magic
  • Mid/Far Lightning Bomb
2. Full screen rushdown

Just like zoning after Ra Power, it can be smart to rushdown after landing Ka Servant. Why? Because your opponent expects you to throw things at him. That's the whole point of why you sent them full screen in the first place. It's to keep them out. So the most natural reaction after getting up from Ka Servant is to crouch block or jump forward in anticipation of a Lightning Strike. But if Black Adam happened to dash in / dive kick instead then it becomes scarier for the opponent.
  • Dash, Lightning Storm
  • Dash, Black Magic
  • Dash, j2, b2 xx Black Magic
  • Dash, Far Dive Kick
  • Dash x2, d2/2 (loses to a lot of jump ins)
  • Dash x3, b2,3

I don't see what's OP in this lol. It's just basic okizeme off b2,3. But thanks.

I have more setups I wanna show but from other knockdowns. btw Lightning Storm is untechable which surprised me because it sure looks like you can roll out, but you can't. :)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I don't see what's OP in this lol. It's just basic okizeme off b2,3. But thanks.

I have more setups I wanna show but from other knockdowns. btw Lightning Storm is untechable which surprised me because it sure looks like you can roll out, but you can't. :)
He's not referring to the write up, just the character in general. Great write up btw, good for all these folks wanting to learn about decent follow up pressure/oki setups. :)

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I was trying to figure out the best way to charge a F3 after untechable knockdowns, as you can charge it and armour it on reaction to buttons/wakeups, and dash cancel it on reaction to anything that gets them out of the way. Sweep knockdown is too quick, and the u1+3 knockdown is quite far away. Im thinking in the corner it wont matter, but lightning storm will make a difference midscreen ending combos with d1~lightning storm or something. I'll post my findings! getting the patch tonight too!

Edit; Its plus on block and damage on hit, and one of his best forward travelling moves providing you have the time to set it up!

I was trying to figure out the best way to charge a F3 after untechable knockdowns, as you can charge it and armour it on reaction to buttons/wakeups, and dash cancel it on reaction to anything that gets them out of the way. Sweep knockdown is too quick, and the u1+3 knockdown is quite far away. Im thinking in the corner it wont matter, but lightning storm will make a difference midscreen ending combos with d1~lightning storm or something. I'll post my findings! getting the patch tonight too!
lol its about time! Can't wait to see what you can find man.
Maybe it would be ideal for them to have a bomb behind them, and a charging armored f3 in front of them, so either way their fucked haha.
That setup would be legit

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
None of his untechable knockdowns are cancellable from what i can tell, and bombs are hard to set up well.

Using charged f3 can cover all options though in the corner after u1+3 ender, as you can react to every option they have and always be safe with armour or backdash, and plus on block for pressure.

If theres a way to set up the same sort of thing midscreen then they get limited to backdashing away on wakeup, so thats something to consider, how to punish or get something out of reading their backdash.... Anyone have any ideas?

None of his untechable knockdowns are cancellable from what i can tell, and bombs are hard to set up well.

Using charged f3 can cover all options though in the corner after u1+3 ender, as you can react to every option they have and always be safe with armour or backdash, and plus on block for pressure.

If theres a way to set up the same sort of thing midscreen then they get limited to backdashing away on wakeup, so thats something to consider, how to punish or get something out of reading their backdash.... Anyone have any ideas?
22b1 bomb as combo ender? I'm not home right now or I'd try it.
You could follow that up with dash up f3 or something lol

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
22b1 bomb as combo ender? I'm not home right now or I'd try it.
You could follow that up with dash up f3 or something lol
22b1 is tech-able which means they can avoid the bomb and do whatever they want. If you black magic or divekick them they get locked on the bomb on wakeup but its a guess between mid and far bomb (or a read on a techroll)

Whether they get launched or not is based on how well they can block, none of the bomb setups are unblockable or even that hard to recognise, its just quite a hassle blocking divekicks after 22b1 bombs, but it should be common knowledge soon what to do about it (techroll and neutral jump if you see adam jump for the divekick for a full combo punish, block low if not for bolt/bmagic.)

22b1 is tech-able which means they can avoid the bomb and do whatever they want. If you black magic or divekick them they get locked on the bomb on wakeup but its a guess between mid and far bomb (or a read on a techroll)

Whether they get launched or not is based on how well they can block, none of the bomb setups are unblockable or even that hard to recognise, its just quite a hassle blocking divekicks after 22b1 bombs, but it should be common knowledge soon what to do about it (techroll and neutral jump if you see adam jump for the divekick for a full combo punish, block low if not for bolt/bmagic.)
Well shit haha. His 113 is a hard knockdown too right? I don't think that can cancel though, but it leaves them close if I'm not mistaken.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
This thread should be the basis for some kind of "Oki" discussion thread, obviously if Hades doesnt mind us hijacking his thread!

113~bomb is a hard knockdown and cancellable.

13 as an ender gives a close hard knockdown and pretty much gives you a free jump in which they have to deal with by wake up or backdashing, both of which you can punish by divekicking to make stuff whiff under you and you can get a black magic or something on their recovery.

113~bomb is a hard knockdown and cancellable.
1,1,3 is rollable. Just tested.

2,2,3 is untechable but not special cancellable. But it becomes techable if used during a juggle which is weird.

1,3 definitely has potential as ender but I prefer 2,2,3.

This thread should be the basis for some kind of "Oki" discussion thread, obviously if Hades doesnt mind us hijacking his thread!
Good idea to have an oki thread. I wish I could edit OP to change the thread title but I can't.

I think I'll make a new thread that will be about BA's oki game in general.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
This is sick man...good job Vulcan!

It adds much to Adams game and to take advantage of his kit.