What's new

Match-up Discussion QUICK: Need Help For Matchup ASAP

zYn

Noob
Hello TYM -

I have a tourney coming up in 2 hours and the guy that I'm worried about facing, is a reptile player.

I posted in here, obviously, because I'm a Subz main.

Any general tips someone can share with me? Most matchups don't frighten me, but reptile has a great mixup game and he has good zoning with his balls and spit. I'm going to try to space as best as I can with clone, but there's almost no reason for him to move in seeing how easy it is for reptile to win a projectile war.

Any advice, or is this just a poor matchup for me? If so, I'll play my alt main, Cyrax.

Cheers

UPR_Nova

Noob
Alright here it goes with my first post. I'll start off by saying if the player is decent with Reptile (uses great spacing and zoning techniques) then it will be a tough match with Sub. If the player is knowledgeable about what to do against all "zoning situations" then they will easily counter most of Subs combo/and projectile attempts.

Rushing the opponent can be effective, but leaves you open to the slide.....something that is also relative to Sub if you choose to play in that style (freeze shots to rusher and catch with the low hit on a slide). The best method that I personally use is to stay focused on the type of projectile attack that is being used. The slow acid ball can be countered fairly easily with a well timed freeze shot, and the acid spit can be countered easily with the slide if you are fairly close to the opponent and obviously not on the other side of the screen. The slide simply ducks under the spit and lands nicely for a counter that will put you in close for combo opportunities. The fast acid ball that reptile has is a beast. I usually just end up blocking and rushing or jumping over it. Obviously, be careful with jumping over the fast acid ball because the opponent could easily catch on, see you are jumping in, and throw a nasty little slow ball to pop you up.

If you feel like he will control the match with zoning, save your special bar for combo breakers in the event that you guess wrong on an acid ball. As always, the block and rush tactic is the safest....just watch that slide.

It is a funky match-up for Sub (at least for me) because both characters tend to wait on that mistake and play more defensively. I would say personally my play ratio with Sub would be 60% defensive and 40% offensive. Get a little more aggressive, pay close attention, and don't get reckless. You can make this unorthodox match-up play to your advantage.

As always, have fun, don't get frustrated, and show 'em what Sub is about! Good luck!

zYn

Noob
Alright here it goes with my first post. I'll start off by saying if the player is decent with Reptile (uses great spacing and zoning techniques) then it will be a tough match with Sub. If the player is knowledgeable about what to do against all "zoning situations" then they will easily counter most of Subs combo/and projectile attempts.

Rushing the opponent can be effective, but leaves you open to the slide.....something that is also relative to Sub if you choose to play in that style (freeze shots to rusher and catch with the low hit on a slide). The best method that I personally use is to stay focused on the type of projectile attack that is being used. The slow acid ball can be countered fairly easily with a well timed freeze shot, and the acid spit can be countered easily with the slide if you are fairly close to the opponent and obviously not on the other side of the screen. The slide simply ducks under the spit and lands nicely for a counter that will put you in close for combo opportunities. The fast acid ball that reptile has is a beast. I usually just end up blocking and rushing or jumping over it. Obviously, be careful with jumping over the fast acid ball because the opponent could easily catch on, see you are jumping in, and throw a nasty little slow ball to pop you up.

If you feel like he will control the match with zoning, save your special bar for combo breakers in the event that you guess wrong on an acid ball. As always, the block and rush tactic is the safest....just watch that slide.

It is a funky match-up for Sub (at least for me) because both characters tend to wait on that mistake and play more defensively. I would say personally my play ratio with Sub would be 60% defensive and 40% offensive. Get a little more aggressive, pay close attention, and don't get reckless. You can make this unorthodox match-up play to your advantage.

As always, have fun, don't get frustrated, and show 'em what Sub is about! Good luck!
<3 !!!!!

Thank you so much - this is very useful advice and I will do my best to uphold Subz! I'll let you know how it goes