What's new

Questions Playing against Very Hard AI.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Trying to up my game and the Very Hard AI is better than most human beings, or at least the ones at my level. Doing Story mode I've been able to beat Sonya and Kabal with Cassie, but I'm doing it with just 1,1,1 string, jump kick, d4, and occasional gunshots. I think I'm cheesing the AI rather than actually playing "good MK11". Problem is when I go for anything slower than 1,1,1 I get beat out. Is this just AI Unga Bunga or am I doin' it wrong?

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
The AI Behaviour in Very Hard and Brutal difficulty, simulates a behaviour that none human, not even an Evo champion, cannot duplicate it, since the AI just play based only and pure on "button input" reading, waiting for your to do your action, and reacting on miliseconds to that, reading your inputs and acting accordingly, poking you first, blocking or doing some kind of "cheating" anyway .... :confused:

so, when you can hit the AI on these difficulty modes, it was only due some failure the program had on trying to proccess your input command, and could not read it in short time .... :eek:

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
The AI Behaviour in Very Hard and Brutal difficulty, simulates a behaviour that none human, not even an Evo champion, cannot duplicate it, since the AI just play based only and pure on "button input" reading, waiting for your to do your action, and reacting on miliseconds to that, reading your inputs and acting accordingly, poking you first, blocking or doing some kind of "cheating" anyway .... :confused:

so, when you can hit the AI on these difficulty modes, it was only due some failure the program had on trying to proccess your input command, and could not read it in short time .... :eek:
OK so it literally ignores gameplay. Like stuff like staggers and plus moves, because it can just read whether you input the full string or not.

xenogorgeous

OK so it literally ignores gameplay. Like stuff like staggers and plus moves, because it can just read whether you input the full string or not.
basically , yep .... it forces you to play unnaturally, so, if you hit a stagger, was pure lucky , nothing more than that , hehe :joker:

Inevpatoria

Grandmaster of the Close-Mouthed Yawn
Someone will probably correct me, but my assumption is that the AI still observes frame data. So a plus-on-block move against a human will still be a plus-on-block move against the AI. However, it seems like the AI can and will respond on the first frame of "their turn" every time. All of the AI's punishes, wake-ups, and pokes are frame-perfect in that way.

But, yes, the AI just reads your inputs and will block or counter accordingly. When you land a hit, it's because the game let you land it.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
And don't know if any of us noticed this, but in lower difficulties, if you don't move, the AI won't move either lmao. But the second you press a button, and they're on you in an instant.

Inevpatoria

Grandmaster of the Close-Mouthed Yawn
And don't know if any of us noticed this, but in lower difficulties, if you don't move, the AI won't move either lmao. But the second you press a button, and they're on you in an instant.
I remember this happening way back with UMK3. You could have a fullscreen staring contest against the AI. Literally run the clock out.

It's weird design. I suppose there's no better/easier way to program AI, though, otherwise it'd probably be changed by now.

xenogorgeous

it's a waste of time if you want to get better against people, the AI reads your inputs and the second you let go of block they do some random combo you've never seen before. They don't think about spacing, they're not going to wait until you whiff, they just counter what you do.
Someone will probably correct me, but my assumption is that the AI still observes frame data. So a plus-on-block move against a human will still be a plus-on-block move against the AI. However, it seems like the AI can and will respond on the first frame of "their turn" every time. All of the AI's punishes, wake-ups, and pokes are frame-perfect in that way.

But, yes, the AI just reads your inputs and will block or counter accordingly. When you land a hit, it's because the game let you land it.
yes , that why playing against human opponent is way better, because even for people at pro level, evo competitors, etc, they are subjected to failure, and you have some real chance to beat them for their failures .... :p

while against the AI in super absurd hard mode, they play in a way, that a normal human cannot match .... they are programmed to punish you with no mercy, the minor error you do, you are screwed up ..... they (AI behaviour) read your inputs and react too quick, punish you with pokes, throws or blocking, using any frame advantage avaliable on the character list .... they do not drop off combos, and use Fatal Blow and Krushing Blow at the perfect time, and use a lot of reversal mechanic when counter attacking you , so, it's that case when the programmed machine can win against a human, in 9/10 times .... ugh ! :(

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I remember this happening way back with UMK3. You could have a fullscreen staring contest against the AI. Literally run the clock out.

It's weird design. I suppose there's no better/easier way to program AI, though, otherwise it'd probably be changed by now.
This happened back in the Arcade MK2 as well, sometimes you could have a stare down with the A.I. and if you walked back, they walked forward, and the minute you were at correct throw distance they would frame 1-distance perfect frame throw you on reaction.

They A.I. has also always struggled with jump in kicks in my experience.

There's no way to properly replace a human opponent who can think, adjust, adapt, and also make human errors and input drop. With respect to the AI, the closest you'll get is the Hard AI, not Very Hard. It was the same in Mortal Kombat XL.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
The "Very Hard" AI is a joke. They just react faster but do random shit that you can easily bait and punish. nothing is calculated risk or safe they just do shit.
I beat the Very Hard AI all the time and its rather easy. I use it for warmup in practice mode until I'm starting to react at a good speed. I also practice keeping the AI on the ground.

But the players I fight in sets are much better than Very Hard/Brutal difficulty.

The Very Hard AI in practice mode is clearly much worse than the one in Local Fight, dont know why
I actually noticed something similar in Mortal Kombat XL. The Hard AI in Single Fight was not as difficult as the Hard AI in Klassic Tower. I figured because the Klassic Tower progressed, it increased slowly in difficulty, whereas in Single Fight, it remained constant.

Might be similar here.

I actually noticed something similar in Mortal Kombat XL. The Hard AI in Single Fight was not as difficult as the Hard AI in Klassic Tower. I figured because the Klassic Tower progressed, it increased slowly in difficulty, whereas in Single Fight, it remained constant.

Might be similar here.
Yep
I didnt played MKXL, but here in 11 certain setups (like jump in to 21212 kombo with my Lao) works everytime in Very Hard Practice AI but never in a fight in the same circumstance

Poke and hit confirm with 9/10 frame mids, only consistent way to beat them I found.

But yeah, the ai evolution is non existent. It's so damn easy to program an AI for a fighting game that emulates human behavior, this is just lazy and at this point even embarrassing.