What's new

Questions about DC from a Marvel Fanboy

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Deadpool is a deliberate nod to Slade Wilson. He might have similar abilities and career choice, but he is a completely different character in personality, vastly different character traits and story arc, the only similarities. You naming him Wade Wilson was an accident? "Oh we were hoping you wouldn't notice". The characters are very different, you genuinely think a Deathstroke movie would have the tiniest thing in common with the Deadpool movie?
This is literally a deliberate, obvious, and completely intentional and unconcealed reference character that his entire concept is built on, and the similarities stop there. He's a rip off in the same way Scary Movie is a rip off of Scream - which is to say not at all, as it's a deliberate parody.

In fact take a look at The Justice League and The Avengers. Capitan America is the all round nice guy and all American symbol who is the guy that always dose what is morally correct and right, Iron Man is an ultra rich philanthropist, genius that uses cool gadgets and Thor is a mythic godlike warrior wielding a magical weapon and those three make up the main leadership of the team... Yeah, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.
So you are saying the similarities is personality traits? That's completely inconsistent with the rest of your argument, such as the Deadpool / Deathstroke comparison due to powers.

The actual Marvel/DC equivalents for the Avengers are very deliberate.

DC tried to make their own Iron Man in Rocket Red, who is just an inverted Tony Stark with indentical powers and a similar origin story. It came years after Iron Man, and they simply couldn't match Stark's staying power.

They also tried to make their own Captain America. Just ONE YEAR after Cap's first appearance and success, DC released The Guardian, literally based off preliminary drawings of Cap, and equipped with an identical skillset, down the shield and motorbike.

Is it really fair to say that Marvel "ripped off" Superman/Batman to create a pair of character who each shares absolutely nothing with them ability wise, just because they each ended up being patriotic/tech based franchise headers, while ignoring DC's attempt to literally and openly CLONE both characters just because they failed hard and had no staying power? I think that is a deliberately one sided perspective.

Both company share a shitload of writers. A shitload of ideas. A shitload of plotlines. Both company have tried to copy characters from each other and also copy plotlines. In absolutely no way is Marvel the only one, and neither is DC. I don't know if anyone had ever counted but I imagine it would be a pretty close tally. A lot of the ones you listed are incorrect. Gwenpool is a Harley ripoff?! This one is hilarious! Gwenpool is a female Deadpool, released to deliberately capitalise on the franchise at the peak of Deadpool hype along with two other Deadpool series at the same time, it's blatantly obvious who she is trying to build off and why, and Harley in the first place came after Deadpool and is known as "DC's answer to Deadpool" to begin with! This one actually made me laugh, that you are saying the alternate universe take on Deadpool is ripping off a DC character, who took cues from the Marvel character to begin with - any shared traits are due to DC's copying in the first place lol.

It's ridiculous to say that every Marvel character is a DC copy (or vice versa), there is so many examples even beyond both the ones you just gave AND the ones I just gave, of DC building off Marvel. Who is the DC equivalent of Wolverine? Wouldn't be Timberwolf right, who came years afterwards in misguided attempt to clone Wolverine and fail badly? What about Lobo, who the creator had this to say about "I have no idea why Lobo took off... I came up with him as an indictment of the Punisher, Wolverine hero prototype, and somehow he caught on as the high violence poster boy. Go figure.?"

My favorite one is Black Alice, who is just a carbon copy of Rogue in backstory and plotlines, even down to copying the storyline where Rogue consume's Captain Marvel's powers, they even had Black Alice actually go and do the same to DC's Captain Marvel - lol.

It's silly to make generalised statements like "every Marvel character is a direct rip off from DC". I've seen the same thing said about DC from Marvel fanboys. And in both cases, it's just pure fanboyism. Both companies have their inevitable similarities by sharing writers, and for every similaritie have something unique about the line. It's pure personal choice.

And I am in no way a Marvel fanboy. I prefer it to DC, but honestly Valiant >>>>

Last edited:

kantboy-2

Ripper
If you want a developed villain/anti-hero like Magneto in DC, then check out Sinestro's story arc from Green Lantern: Rebirth (2005) until now. Skip the mega-cross-over-we-need-to-sell-comics-crap extras like 'Blackest Night Batman's Underpants' 3rd tier comic tie-ins and you'll be fine.

It's the equivalent, more or less, of Magneto's arc from Uncanny X-Men/Secret Wars until the stupid editor-mandated reversal to 'bad guy' in X-Men #1 (1991)

Read the complete run of 'Starman' (Ted Knight) by James Robinson and enjoy the awesomeness of The Shade.

You might not like Superman, but there's quite a few good Lex Luthor stories floating around. My favorite super villain when he's not reverted back into what the DC Chief Creative guy remembers reading as a kid. The same reason Barry Allen 'had' to come back.

Now, if you want to read a good-silly villain comic book, then please read 'Secret Six' from 'Villains United' until the 'New 52' started, essentially killing off the run.

Sunny_D

Green Arrows personal Shooty guy
You would love Watchmen as a conversation on the superhero genre

Also read kingdom come, batman year one, nightwing anything, ect

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Also, I touched on comics with the same "dna" and comics that are just "the same" but there are also Marvel Comics that have different character histories and powers, but the comic itself is basically identical.

A great example of this is the fantastic Gwenpool.. which is just a Marvel version of Harley Quinn.

The characters are not the same, not really.. but the comic itself is basically identical. Also this is a new comic, as in Gwenpool is only a year old or so... (she started life as an alt cover only recently)

Gwenepool is a great example of how a rip off doesn't matter, as long as it is good.
Man that was an excellent answer, and have to admit you have sparked my curiousity about some DC characters.
I jotted some down that I think might interest me.

Personally tho who is your favourite DC comic character? (I'm guessing it's WW from your avatar but thought I'd ask anyways)
I like WW a lot and am excited for the movie coming out for her soon also. But just curious if you think her villains are reputable? Like I'm obviously unaware but I only know of Cheetah and Ares; does she have any other main nemesis? It doesn't seem to show any main villain in the trailer?

Also have always been drawn to liking The Flash also, could you possibly recommend a comic series to start on for him? I here there's all different Flash's like New 52 and Reverse Flash, etc.?

Also, you didn't seem to mention a DC character who you would liken to my boy Spider-Man?

Kooron Nation

Oh thank God. I literally thought when I clicked this thread it was going to be a troll thread with the only question being "When's Mahvel?"

So glad its actual comic book talk.
Was trying to find a main for Injustice really by naming characters I like from Marvel, but it's turned into something better, a gift greater than life.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I'd actually like to get more in to marvel. My favorite DC heroes in the comics are Batman, Nightwing, Superman, Hal Jordan Green Lantern, Red Robin, and Damian Robin. For villains I like Joker, Bane, Owlman, and Deathstroke the most.

My favorite marvel superhero(which admittedly my only marvel knowledge is from the MCU) is Captain America. I also like Cyclops, Iceman, and Wolverine a lot, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

What would you guys reccomend I read?
Chris Claremont's x-men. Phoenix saga for example. And the stuff leading up to it. And then the doom of mutants or similar title.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Also, you didn't seem to mention a DC character who you would liken to my boy Spider-Man?
I do not think DC really has a Spiderman analogue. There are a number of candidates that might fit the character, but none of them share his powers or back story.

The death of Ben is kinda like the death of the Wayens in DC. FOr Batman and for Spiderman they are both seminal events and unlike pretty much all of the entirety of comics, these two events are completely sacred. Anything can change in comics, but these two events NEVER will change. Still that is as far as Batman and Spiderman are connected. Though I think it is a interesting thing to take away form comics that these two hugely popular characters have very similar trigger events and not only that, these events are protected by the publishers and are basically written in stone.

Even more interesting is when consider how the characters reacted. Batman is a morose, damaged freak.. Peter is a fun loving wise cracking optimist and while Batman is "driven" to be Batman by psychosis, Spiderman is a choice born of a sense of duty. I find that cool.

Anyway, rambling a bit.

My main point here is that in my mind, Spiderman has no "copy". Though there are aspects to him that ring to a DC Fan. He is often considered a Mix of Batman and Superman.

I guess, if I had to choose I would pick Blue Beetle, Static Shock, maybe even Dick Grayson (when he was a kid, not so much as Nightwing and in his James Bond kinda comic .. that was fuckign awesome btw)... though if pressed I think maybe Beast Boy might be the best fit personality wise,, but then again, the best fit for the young "kid" spiderman, which I feel is the most commonly associated version.

Kooron Nation

I do not think DC really has a Spiderman analogue. There are a number of candidates that might fit the character, but none of them share his powers or back story.

The death of Ben is kinda like the death of the Wayens in DC. FOr Batman and for Spiderman they are both seminal events and unlike pretty much all of the entirety of comics, these two events are completely sacred. Anything can change in comics, but these two events NEVER will change. Still that is as far as Batman and Spiderman are connected. Though I think it is a interesting thing to take away form comics that these two hugely popular characters have very similar trigger events and not only that, these events are protected by the publishers and are basically written in stone.

Even more interesting is when consider how the characters reacted. Batman is a morose, damaged freak.. Peter is a fun loving wise cracking optimist and while Batman is "driven" to be Batman by psychosis, Spiderman is a choice born of a sense of duty. I find that cool.

Anyway, rambling a bit.

My main point here is that in my mind, Spiderman has no "copy". Though there are aspects to him that ring to a DC Fan. He is often considered a Mix of Batman and Superman.

I guess, if I had to choose I would pick Blue Beetle, Static Shock, maybe even Dick Grayson (when he was a kid, not so much as Nightwing and in his James Bond kinda comic .. that was fuckign awesome btw)... though if pressed I think maybe Beast Boy might be the best fit personality wise,, but then again, the best fit for the young "kid" spiderman, which I feel is the most commonly associated version.
No please do continue to ramble on this stuff intrigues me.

Even through the multiple film adaptations of Spider-Man, and Batman, it always shows the death of Uncle Ben/Wayne's Parents. It really is the basis behind the character and I feel like they built the characters from that event.

Is it not the same for Superman tho? His home world of Krypton destroyed and his parents murdered but gets sent to Earth before they die? Or does his backstory fluctuate?

The thing I like about Spider-Man though is that he's still basically just Peter Parker all the time, in the sense that he lets his emotions get to him and isn't just a Superhero who "saves the world just cause I can", he (like you said) is just doing his 'duty'.

Haven't read many of the Spidey (or Batman) comics to be honest (so if you got any suggestions let me know) but I liked how they portrayed P. Parker in The Amazing Spider-Man. Real teen angst type of feel, and trying to find his place in the world, I like that.

Jynks

There is a really good Marvel Imprint called "Ultimate" It started with Spiderman ... and is well worth a read.

Basically Ultimate is a alternative universe of Marvel and to use movie terms is basically a "reboot". This comic "is" a little different and dose get a little strange.. stay away form Ultimate Avengers for examples.. no one wants to see the Hulk eating people.

That being said Ultimate Spiderman and Ultimate Fantastic Four are really great. The biggest plus being that they are a "reboot" of sorts so you can follow the comic from Spidermans origin with Ben's death and him learning to be Spiderman right into his first encounters with his villains and all that.

It is a tad darker than the classic Marvel comics, but even so I think they are worh checking out and a good way to start reading Spiderman or Fantastic Four if you are coming form the films.

Jynks

Is it not the same for Superman tho? His home world of Krypton destroyed and his parents murdered but gets sent to Earth before they die? Or does his backstory fluctuate?
I thought about mentioning Superman, but didn't want to confuse things as Superman has a lot of "ifs" and "buts" about it. Landing in the field and being picked up by the Kents is pretty stable, but Superman is not as "written in stone" as you might think.

For starters Supermans powers are always in flux. You know he only started flying in the 40s for example. Heat Vision and other aspects were also added a while after he was invented. IN 2015 I think it was he got a new power called "solar flare" where he can expel all his solar energy in a nuke kinda thing, and is rendered powerless for a while after. He is traditionally got Super Intelligence for example but in recent years the "scientist" version of Superman is all but forgotten.

Also Krypton is very up in the air.. pretty much the events on Krypton that lead to his leaving the planet and what it is exactly that his dad and mum did up there is pretty much constantly different. Look at the new Superman Film for an example.

So yeah, while landing in the Kent's farm is a commonality, even this aspect of his character is different from age to age. The Kent's themselves for example.

My favourite version of Jonathan Kent is the one were he dies of a heart attack from natural causes. I think the idea of Superman getting this lesson in mortality form an event he has no power over is integral to how I see Superman, but this is one of only a heap of different versions of Jonathan Kent.

Silver_Shadow

Crazy Mexican
So coming from only seeing Batman movies and the odd Superman one here and there, I have a very small knowledge of DC lore and characters.
Probably leaning towards Batman in Inj2 but was curious if there are any characters you guys could suggest if I name my favourite Marvel characters; maybe they share similarities?

My fav would be Spider-Man, just his comedic attitude and nimble fighting style mixed with the webs, it's awesome.
Also love Wolverine, Ms. Marvel, Magneto, and Jean "Phoenix" Gray.
Hate Superman (and Captain America too for that matter) as I find them too "perfect" and just stand for Patriotism, also very dull and boring personalities.

Anyways Top 2: Spidey (and basically all of his villains: Venom/Green Goblin/Sandman/ Electro) & Magneto, name some DC suggestions pls:
For Spider-Man, I'd say Blue Beetle would be the closest equivalent to him. Cases can be made for Static Shock and Beast Boy as well but I think Jaime is a better comparison. Blue Beetle even has an equivalent relationship to Batman that Spider-Man has with Iron-Man. He's also a jokester hence him flirting with Supergirl, making fun of Atrocitus and Superman or bagging on Black Canary in Injustice 2.

For Jean Grey I'd say either Raven or Ms Martian are her equivalents. They have similar powersets (ie telepathy, telekinesis, flight) and are arguably the top female of their respective teams ( Jean/X-Men, Raven/Teen Titans, Ms Martian/Young Justice). They all also have a dark powerset hidden within that they try and suppress.

For Magneto and Dr Doom I'd go with Brainiac, Ares, or Sinestro maybe. They're all villains looking for power but also have real legit reasons as to why they feel the way that they do. They are all also very powerful threats!

As for Wolverine and Ms Marvel I'd say Lobo and Supergirl are your closest equivalents for various reasons. Lobo can heal and has a beserker type of power set while Supergirl is youthful and has a very upbeat personality.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I kind of feel like the new version of The Ray is kind of like Miles Morales in how he's written. Definitely feels like a teenager trying to figure out where they stand, who they are, and whether they should run and hide or stand up and face the world as who they are.

So glad that character is back. Can't wait to see the CW animated mini series devoted to him.

They share so many writers and even plots that I think the only real comparison is personal taste.

That being said, I don't think the female comparison is that cut and dry. Scarlet Witch, Jean Grey, Storm, Elektra, Rogue, Black Widow, Spidergirl, GWENPOOL

female villians are probably definitely lacking though. Do they even exist in the marvel universe? Anti-heroes or sexy thieves seem to be as evil as it gets for the women
I was an X-Men fan, in fact reading the Dark Phoenix saga really blew me away and jump started my comic collecting. I read every X-Men from 94-250+. So, I like the X-Men; I'm not dissing the X-Men. Still, as cool as those characters are, it was more of an ensemble thing. There were some good storylines here and there. Even in the movies, Jean Grey and Rogue are portrayed more in the context of being the girlfriends/love interests of male characters. Storm was kind of wasted in the movies IMNSHO.

Also, I would imagine that Marvel has probably made some inroads in recent years with trying to introduce and develop more female characters since there is more of a market. That's great, I am very supportive of that.

Still. Wonder Woman is practically an argument-ender. She's been a sign of female empowerment for over 75 years. Even characters like Catwoman, Hawkgirl, and others have been around for over 75 years in the DC line. Black Canary and Huntress= 70 years. Geez, even Poison Ivy, Zatanna, Batgirl, and others predate characters you mentioned by over a decade.

Ask anyone in the world if they know Wonder Woman and Catwoman, ask your grandparents, they'll know them. Most people's grandparents probably don't know the X-Men very well. I've been to a lot of conventions, I'll see Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Harley Quinn (even before Suicide Squad), and others cosplayed, not as many female Marvel cosplayers.

Stan Lee is awesome, but his Marvel Revolution was a sausage fest. Hulk, Thor, Spiderman, Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Daredevil. You had Sue Storm, Reed Richards' wife, and named Invisible Girl.

Marvel is so female deficient, nerd-extraordinaire Stephen Colbert did a bit about it:

Jynks

Funny this would come up.. the villain in the Gaurdians of the Galaxy 2 film is a female.. .Ayesha... better known as Kismet. She is that all gold looking girl in the Superbowl Trailer.

It remains to be seen how much of her original lore will be kept as it is .. well.. very "comics" and needs updating badly.

Long story short... scientist dudes tried to make a godlike being called "him"... He was uncontrollable, and ran off. They did it again and again it went all crazy and ran off. After finding out about "Him".. the new entity used his powers to make himself into a female, as her thinking was that they were in a way the only 2 members of their species. Then there is this troubling eugenics angle as they are like generitcally "perfect" and all this.. so yeah.. strange.. the point is that she turned into a woman and went to breed with Him (Adam Warlock) to produce perfect kids and start a Pantheon of new Gods. Problem is that Him was killed by Thanos..

So... . . She is now on a intergalactic mission to find someone to boff her and have kids. So a female character who's soul motivation is to find a male to breed with is not exactly a modern female characterisation. She was basically a superbabe with a twisted mother instinct that made her a villian, well not a villian in my eyes, I mean she was bad, but more out of lack of caring... like if i accidental kick over an anthill I am not evil, but I may be considered evil by the ant!

So I expect 90% of her to be completely retconed in the film and like the other characters in the last film, most likely the re-imagening will become the new reality in the comics as well.

kantboy-2

Ripper
For Batman and for Spiderman they are both seminal events and unlike pretty much all of the entirety of comics, these two events are completely sacred. Anything can change in comics, but these two events NEVER will change.
A few years ago the same thing was said about the deaths of Bucky and Barry Allen. The only thing that never changes in comics is the fact that everything changes when it can sell comics.

If you want to get into Flash start with the Wally West run (1987-2009). That is the best run of the character and actually makes you appreciate the current Flash (Barry Allen) more than any of his previous series ever could. I love the character to death, but let's be honest, before he died in 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' he was a cardboard hero with zero personality. What the DC guy (Johns) did was move all the cool stuff he gave Wally West when he was writing him and pile it on Barry Allen. Never mind that to do that he disappeared from comics the coolest DC hero of the last 25 years, not counting Starman. Because that's the guy he remembered from when he was a kid; just like Hal Jordan, mad scientist Luthor, etc..

Last edited:

RexxyC

what's done is done
So coming from only seeing Batman movies and the odd Superman one here and there, I have a very small knowledge of DC lore and characters.
Probably leaning towards Batman in Inj2 but was curious if there are any characters you guys could suggest if I name my favourite Marvel characters; maybe they share similarities?

My fav would be Spider-Man, just his comedic attitude and nimble fighting style mixed with the webs, it's awesome.
Hate Superman (and Captain America too for that matter) as I find them too "perfect" and just stand for Patriotism, also very dull and boring personalities.

Anyways Top 2: Spidey (and basically all of his villains: Venom/Green Goblin/Sandman/ Electro) & Magneto, name some DC suggestions pls:
None of these flops are mentioning her, but if you like Spider-Man, try Stephanie Brown Batgirl.

She's a college student who doubles as a superhero. She's somewhat similar to Spider-Man. Her book is Batgirl v3, 1-29

Jynks

A few years ago the same thing was said about the deaths of Bucky and Barry Allen. The only thing that never changes in comics is the fact that everything changes when it can sell comics.
this was kind of my point... The death of the Waynes and the death of Uncle Ben are unique in comics.

Kooron Nation

this was kind of my point... The death of the Waynes and the death of Uncle Ben are unique in comics.
Have to admit I cried when the first Spider-Man came out and Ben gets shot, think I was about six and thought life was unjust and cruel cause they killed Uncle Ben.

Kooron Nation

For Magneto and Dr Doom I'd go with Brainiac, Ares, or Sinestro maybe. They're all villains looking for power but also have real legit reasons as to why they feel the way that they do. They are all also very powerful threats!

As for Wolverine and Ms Marvel I'd say Lobo and Supergirl are your closest equivalents for various reasons. Lobo can heal and has a beserker type of power set while Supergirl is youthful and has a very upbeat personality.
Thanks for the response, however not a huge fan of the whole Lantern series.
Brainiac is intriguing, however is he just a villain to the Justice League, or does he appear personally against certain superheroes also?
Maybe @Jynks can help with this one too, but can you recommend any certain comics that it's WonderWoman vs. Ares? Or is he pretty much around all the time behind the scenes in her universe?

Also, is Lobo a superhero or just more of a lone wolf/contractor?

Peter Quill

You’re No Fun

I have plenty of suggestions for you, but they have to do with the people you DONT like.

Superman is far from perfect and Is IMO one of the most relateable characters in comics. He's a farm boy from Kansas who goes to the big city trying to make a name for crying out loud.

Not Injustice 2 related but if you're interested give Superman: Birthright, Secret origin, What's so Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way, or For All Seasons a read. Hell, I'm a proponent for Earth One and Grounded as well, and Man of Steel. Hope you give him a second go! I think you'll be surprised.

Trust me